cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Google Alternative?

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to get away from Google. I use their search engine, their calendar, have a gmail address, and have a Nexus(google) cell phone. Fairly happy with their products, but dislike supporting companies who hate people like me.

I see lots going to "Duck Duck Go", but what about the gmail account, calendar, etc. Can I use something besides Google and still use their gmail and calendar until I find a suitable alternative? I'm sure the phones would work with anything, though syncing emails, etc might be a problem?
16 REPLIES 16

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
changed my mind.

MrWizard
The most private you can get

Shut down your pc and phone and go off grid

Next step down use a paid VPN, no cloud services, no syncing, paid email service
Setup a home network with syncing between the devices , only on your home WiFi network, not over the internet cloud, set you phone and all devices to use your VPN
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
SCClockDr wrote:
If you want stealth:
Brave Browser
Duck Duck Go
ProtonMail email
Un-sync your calendar app

but your ISP will still keep track
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
If you want stealth:
Brave Browser
Duck Duck Go
ProtonMail email
Un-sync your calendar app
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Just to answer the OP's question before this thread gets shut down, I recommend StartPage. Google results without the snooping. This is from their Privacy Policy.

StartPage Protects Your Privacy
When you search with StartPage, your location is not recorded, your visit is not logged, and no tracking data is placed on your phone. In fact, StartPage does not record any information about its users. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Our SSL ENCRYPTION protects your searches from eavesdropping by your phone manufacturer, mobile carrier, random snoops and hackers. Plus you receive authentic Google results but you're never seen by Google -- or anyone else, for that matter.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the original question, I don't think you will find it for free, but https://www.fastmail.com/ is reportedly good- secure, private email and calendar.
-- Chris Bryant

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
We all know when we 'Google' something we are bombarded with ads for that product. Even though we delete our google history, those searches are not deleted by google itself.

I use Duck Duck Go mostly and Bing on occasion when I don't get the expected results. I have a google email, but don't use it.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Irover, does opera support email? Could I use it and still keep my gmail address? What about a calendar?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Google hates you...really.....:S
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Search engines there are many. I used to use one called Dogpile as I recall, it re-submitted to several .. Today I mostly use Yahoo via a re-submit service I get points for (Swagbucks as I recall. If you want to do that you get "Swagbucks" (About one cent each) for doing searches. I think it's 3 searches. and a random number of "Bucks" You can trade those in for gift cards when you get enough.. Ask and I can get and send you a link you can use to sign up so I get a "Comission")

Bing is another search engine..

And you can do a Search on "Search Engines" to find even more.

But I look at it this way.. Google is going to track me one way or another. I might as well make it easy for 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Opera for over 1.5 years now and Duck Duck Go! Works for me!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I thought when you went to work you left your politics at home.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they are understanding that they are the new minority and companies have always catered to the majority
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't take long for this nonsense to pop up.
No political whining allowed.