cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parking problems with big rig

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
We are going full time in 2018,we are considering a new rig. A 40'-42' DP and a 22' enclosed trailer. My question is how difficult will it be to find places to park. At present we use county, state and nstional parks when available and also private campgrounds. Currently we have a 38' gasser, towing a 4 door Jeep Shahara.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
31 REPLIES 31

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Ro"n"Joe wrote:
Will the trike fit in the back of a pickup? On a flat bed pickup? Ramp it up the back? Just a thought.....

The Boss Hoss Trike is a pretty sick beast. About 11 feet long, close to 2000 pounds, with a V8!
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If you elect to tow a trailer for your car, get a door on the left side of the trailer that will allow the door on the drivers side of the car to open. Just saw such a rig pull in to the BLM site I'm in.
Easy in, easy out.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Will the trike fit in the back of a pickup? On a flat bed pickup? Ramp it up the back? Just a thought.....
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would be looking at a toyhauler.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
BigRabbitMan wrote:
This thread started a long time ago. Any idea what he eventually did?

From reading his posts he now has a 43' Newmar Dutch Star DP and will spend the summer going to Alaska towing his Jeep. He'll be just fine ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
This thread started a long time ago. Any idea what he eventually did?
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the car and use UBer or Lyft. Works for us except when in the boonies.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Old guys on tricycle motorbikes remind me of the riddle of the Sphinx.

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously it can be done. People do it all the time. It will take some planning and there might be some parks that won't work, but if having your toys with you, and I am one of those people, it is worth and extra planning it takes. You also don't have to have your trailer with you in your parking space. Many parks, including state and national parks have additional parking just for trailers and boats. I watched a guy at a KOA in West Yellowstone that had it down pat. He had a 43' motor home with a large enclosed trailer. When he pulled into the campground his wife went in to the office to register. While she was doing that he go his Jeep out of the trailer, disconnected the trailer from the MH and hooked it up to his Jeep. He then drove the Jeep to the overflow parking area and dropped of the trailer. He then went and parked is MH and all was well.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

TprLSP
Explorer
Explorer
43 foot tag axle with 30 foot V-nose trailer holding a wrangler, golf cart and an ultra classic. Put a ramp door in the rear, one on the curb side v-nose (bike/cart exit/entrance) and escape door on the street side for when loading. 75 foot total. Not any harder than 4 wheel down with my dodge ram, just have to plan a little better and google earth a lot but my navigator does pretty good at that. Not looking for over-length comments, just saying people do tow with that length.
Larry Mayes
Marrero, la
Fleetwood Revolution LE

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 42' coach and tow a Ford F150 with a golf car in the bed. I've seen folks with similar rigs with motorcycles in the truck bed.

That said, we are generally limited to privately owned RV parks with larger sites. I've seen some long DP's coming into some parks towing long enclosed trailers. Some fit, some don't.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We only accommodate motorhomes with trailers in select sites. It is seldom we can actually accept reservations with anything less than several months notice. The reason is a 40 foot motorhome with a 20 foot long trailer needs a site over 90 feet in length. There needs to be a couple of feet buffer at each end of the site, there is several feet of hitch between the trailer and the rig and then you need to have space to park whatever is being carried inside the trailer.
On top of that, such rigs need to have pull thrus with a very large turning radius, otherwise they have to drive across the adjacent sites to enter and exit. It just isn't worth the hassle and risk to put such rigs into anything other than the exact Goldilocks site. So once those sites are reserved (and we don't hold them specifically for motorhome/trailer combos, they are desirable for all big motorhomes, large fifth wheels and other assorted combos), we just say no.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Agree that for what he wants to bring along, a stacker trailer is the answer.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
We pull a enclosed trailer behind our coach and are 64' in total length. We've probably done over 50K miles with that setup. Lots of places to stay you just need to plan ahead. The odd time we have to disconnect the trailer and
park it in a storage area. Backing up is not that hard if you are experienced towing a trailer. You might want to consider a stacker trailer to fit all your toys and keep the trailer length to a minimum.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s