cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram air suspension

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not seen any owner comments on the air suspension systems offered on the Ram trucks. If you have one would you care to share your experience and whether they are worth the money?
23 REPLIES 23

Bigdaddyisu
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered it on my 2500. I did get a couple of service air system messages during a couple different cold spells but nothing came of them when I took it in the first time it popped up. In all I'm happy with the system and would probably order it again if I ever traded in.
2015 Ram 2500 CC Laramie 6.4L 4.10 4x4
2012 Gulf Stream Conquest 279QBL

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ib516 wrote:
They are very UNpopular here in Canada. They fail regularly in really cold weather. Salesman wouldn't sell me one when I was shopping for a 2500, and I have a friend who got the Limited pkg in a 1500 that came with 4 corner air suspension. Of course the system failed just after the warranty expired, and they wanted $5000 or thereabouts to repair it. He chose to upgrade instead and now has a 2500 6.4L Hemi.

The Chrysler parts guy I have known for 20 years said recently he has seen ZERO issues with the 3500 system, he did say the 2500'd have had some issues.

Yes if you are in ice/snow with freezing conditions the system may not work properly. But hey who the HE!! lives in those conditions. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, it is only the cold that causes issues. If you live where that isn't a concern, I'd opt for the air suspension.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Most people with them seem to really like them. I was out with a buddy who had it on his 1500 and it seemed to work well. I'd personally pass and opt for a system I have full control of. I've run manual airbags on several trucks and really like them. I'm never really a fan of things that think/do for me. It seems inevitably there's sometimes it's not thinking like I'm thinking.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"That is one thing that I am concerned about along with the cost of repair. "

Do a GOOGLE search and see if you can find an issue other than freezing up in the Great White North.

Also it's covered under the 100K powertrain warranty.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tinner12002 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The rear air ride on the 3500's is simply AWESOME!

I carry FULL RAWR of 9,750# when RV is attached. The top of bed is at 55" the same height as when it's unloaded in ALT trailer ride height.

There are two full length and two axle to front leaf springs. They are small in comparison to the regular sprung trucks and are there to hold axle in place and control axle wrap on launch. I have 40K on the truck with ZERO issues. I have NEVER heard of a single issue with this system. And you must not have been on here much for the last two years as I have posted on this topic MANY times. It's WELL worth the $1,300 option.

I had that option on my truck when I ordered it...passed on it due to the possibility of losing a bag when loaded and then having truck bottom out or whatever it does with no air. I know you seem to like yours a lot Cummin12V98 and always talk it up.

What do the truckers do if a bag does down?

The system is very proven to be a dependable one. If you do loose a bag it will not stop you from continuing until you can get it fixed. The bags are made by Firestone and are very robust. I have never heard of a bag failing.

Until you own this system you can't appreciate how nice it is. Truck rides nearly level in ALT ride loaded or not. Not AZZ end high like so many regular sprung trucks. Better ride loaded or not.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
They are very UNpopular here in Canada. They fail regularly in really cold weather. Salesman wouldn't sell me one when I was shopping for a 2500, and I have a friend who got the Limited pkg in a 1500 that came with 4 corner air suspension. Of course the system failed just after the warranty expired, and they wanted $5000 or thereabouts to repair it. He chose to upgrade instead and now has a 2500 6.4L Hemi.

The Chrysler parts guy I have known for 20 years said recently he has seen ZERO issues with the 3500 system, he did say the 2500'd have had some issues.

Yes if you are in ice/snow with freezing conditions the system may not work properly. But hey who the HE!! lives in those conditions. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a brother with load leveling in an Expedition who loved it except when hooking up a utility trailer with widely varying weight. He was never certain how much to tighten the load distributing hitch. When the airbags went out after 12 years or so they cost more than the vehicle was worth. I don't remember if he sold it as it was or went to the junk yard and got steel springs to put under it. At least on my friend's semi the airbags seem to be fairly standard, readily available and reasonbly priced. It can be done. The question is whether the automakers will do it or insist on gouging the customers every chance they get.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I carry FULL RAWR of 9,750# when RV is attached. The top of bed is at 55" the same height as when it's unloaded in ALT trailer ride height.

There are two full length and two axle to front leaf springs. They are small in comparison to the regular sprung trucks and are there to hold axle in place and control axle wrap on launch. I have 40K on the truck with ZERO issues. I have NEVER heard of a single issue with this system. And you must not have been on here much for the last two years as I have posted on this topic MANY times. It's WELL worth the $1,300 option.

Simply AWESOME, have to believe thats a bit of an overstatement. They are airbags that level the load, no more no, less, and overpriced at that.

If you could tell the OP what is so AWESOME about factory air over aftermarket, I'm sure he will be listening. I will also let my son read it ,he also has the 2016 3500 with factory air, and is wondering about the AWESOME.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Complexity and Chrysler don't exactly go together like peas and carrots."

That is one thing that I am concerned about along with the cost of repair. As far as I know none of the truck builders are perfect. My father had both a 1988 Crown Vic and about a 1994 Grand Marquis with load leveling suspensions. Both worked well but when the height sensor on the Crown Vic went out Ford wanted twice as much money for it in the box as they had charged for the entire system installed and warrented from the factory. We just bypassed it and did manual adjustments.

One thing that I wondering about is how they handle overloads, especially on the trucks that don't have any steel springs. Do they just refuse to level if you are a pound over? Do they keep leveling even if you are 5,000lbs over and a danger to everything on the road? How do you get a feel for where you are in your capacity range without going to a scale? I know that my neighbor has pressue gauges in the air system for his semi that he can just look at and tell pretty well how much he is loaded and how the weight is distributed. Does Ram have anything similar?

1Adam12
Explorer
Explorer
The system came with the truck and package that was on it.

I had the manual system on an Excursion at one time. I loved it.

The Ram system is simple to use. The truck returns to it's original position shortly after the front jacks are up. I'm not putting a big strain on the truck with my set up.

The pin weight of my coach is approximately 2900, the coach is approximately 15,000.

Hope this helps.
DW and two boys
2019 Grand Design Momentum 397M
2020 Ram 3500 DRW

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I had that option on my truck when I ordered it...passed on it due to the possibility of losing a bag when loaded and then having truck bottom out or whatever it does with no air. I know you seem to like yours a lot Cummin12V98 and always talk it up.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I wouldn't get it, personally - adds needless complexity. I like Timbrens better than airbags, factory or otherwise.

Complexity? The only difference between my truck and one without air is my truck don't stay squatted after the load is applied.

Really, that's the only difference? A simple spring versus a system with two bags, air lines, an air compressor and sensors to maintain the height regardless of load. Yep, in no way one is more complicated than the other. Let's keep in mind these things are made by Chrysler. Complexity and Chrysler don't exactly go together like peas and carrots.

The other issue with bags is they're connected on both ends to the axle and frame. Droop the axle too much offroad and you're going to have a sad day if you rip the bag. That's one of the big reasons I prefer timbrens for supplementing the stock suspension. That and simplicity.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I wouldn't get it, personally - adds needless complexity. I like Timbrens better than airbags, factory or otherwise.

Complexity? The only difference between my truck and one without air is my truck don't stay squatted after the load is applied.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB