cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire suppression systems for diesel pushers

BroncoBev
Explorer
Explorer
I've been seeing fire suppression systems for diesel pushers and I'm very interested in getting one. I saw several engine fires over the past few years and I don't want to lose everything I have from an engine fire. I keep my rig well maintained but you just never know when this could happen.

Do any of you have one? Where did you buy it, who installed it? General cost? Any recommendations?
Bronco Bev
2005 Allegro Bus 40QDP
2004 Jeep Liberty
Skye, Roo, Cocoa and Bo
6 REPLIES 6

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Dry chemical fire suppression chemical is very difficult to clean up. CO2 leaves no residue.

Agree. The system I have uses AFFF foam which is non corrosive.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, just avoid dry chemical because it will haunt you later with electrical back there if it ever went off. That powder gets into electrical contacts and corrodes them. CO2 or any gas is going to be pretty worthless with air flow back there. The foam may be pretty effective.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a fire suppression system in a machine I worked on a big transport unit for moving submarine components. if it detected a fire it would fire off the fire suppression chemicals and automatically shut down the engine. worked great, but not sure on the cost of the system.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Dry chemical fire suppression chemical is very difficult to clean up. CO2 leaves no residue.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed the foam system sold by Mac the Fire Guy on two of my DP's. Not hard to install and great peace of mind. I don't have any expectation that it could save the coach in the event of an engine compartment fire but hope it would give us more escape time and perhaps time to unhook the toad. I hope to never find out.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start here:
Mac has been doing this stuff for a very long time.

http://macthefireguy.com/
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?