cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof repair

BroncoBev
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cracked fiberglass roof on my 2005 Allegro Bus from a baseball sized hail storm. I've been looking at roof options and I've seen two ads for vinyl layered roofs. There are two companies who do this - both come to you - one has locations but they are no where near where I'm going. One seems more concerned with selling franchises and the other company sounds very friendly and cooperative. As these are the only two I've seen, I'm a little concerned about their promises . . . the long warranty, not cracking, hard to tear, etc.

Have any of you had a vinyl layered roof put on your rig? I really don't want another fiberglass roof as I am out west most of the year and we're going to always have hailstorms out there!!

Just don't want to blow $5400 on a roof that's not going to last a long time or that can be destroyed by another hail storm.

Thanks!!
Bronco Bev
2005 Allegro Bus 40QDP
2004 Jeep Liberty
Skye, Roo, Cocoa and Bo
17 REPLIES 17

Bruce_Brown
Being BeoncoBev would it be safe to assume you're somewhere out west?

If you happen to be anywhere east please send me a PM, I'd be more than happy to take a look at it. It's the rest of the roof is sound I'd fix it with the fiberglass kit for under $20.00.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
You might try a boat repair shop. They would know how to fix the roof.
Or, a good handyman could handle this type of repair. Be sure he drills a small hole at the end of the crack to stop the spread. Then pick up a fiberglass kit from Walmart, spread the resin, add fiberglass cloth, spread more resin, and a little more cloth. After it's cured, spray with Krylon. I've done many fiberglass repairs and it's pretty easy.
Good luck and good travels.

BroncoBev
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you who offered alternative suggestions. I just assumed I needed a new roof from the attitude of the adjuster. Guess I shouldn't assume anything with RV repair and should ask more questions. This RV is new to me. I just got it and there is so much to learn as it is so different from anything I've ever had. The last time I had hail damage on a rubber roof, it was tears that could be repaired and the whole roof didn't have to be replaced. Since insurance DIDN'T pay enough for a replacement, I am assuming that having someone just do patches, if it's not so bad, would probably take care of any possible leaks. I will post photos of the roof as soon as I get some photos of it so you can tell me what you think. I have to have the shrouds, fan vents, solar panel, tv satellite and the tv antenna replaced as well as the plastic covers for the windshield wipers. It was baseball sized hail and it took out the entire RV park at F. E. Warren AFB in Cheyenne! No one escaped without a lot of damage.
Bronco Bev
2005 Allegro Bus 40QDP
2004 Jeep Liberty
Skye, Roo, Cocoa and Bo

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I sent the file as you requested in your PM. I hope you only have one or two cracks. As I think about it, if you have cracks over the entire roof, you may be better off with a new roof. Those pictures will help if you can get someone to take them for you. Maybe you can post them here so we can offer better advice.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

BroncoBev
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Fred - I'd like to see it and be able to show it to whoever I hire to do it. Sometimes just a regular guy will do a better job and not cost nearly as much as a mobile RV tech. I'd like to see it but there's no way I can get up there. Might have someone at the campground here get up there and look at it and take photos for me. I just assumed that I had to get a new roof and all the options were definitely confusing.
Bronco Bev
2005 Allegro Bus 40QDP
2004 Jeep Liberty
Skye, Roo, Cocoa and Bo

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
TNTraveller wrote:
How big is the damage?

We had a falling limb punch a 2 inch hole in the fiberglass roof of our Sea Breeze. Bought a fiberglass repair kit at Wal-Mart for $20 and fixed it in less than 2 hours. Sand the area, lay in fiberglass cloth, mix and apply resin, and let dry. I did two layers of cloth and resin out of caution.

Still have the remaining part of the kit in a compartment in case it happens again.

I agree. Take the money and fix it yourself.

Fiberglass repair is not hard, just messy. In 2013, I repaired a basketball size hole in the fiberglass front cap of our Holiday Rambler motorhome. I posted a thread with pictures on this forum, but it is no longer available. I have a word file with pictures and documentation I can send to you if you decide to repair it yourself. Send me your email address via PM if you want the word file.

If you don't want to do it yourself, get a repair quote from several boat repair shops.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

BroncoBev
Explorer
Explorer
LWiddis . . . I'm a 100% disabled Marine Veteran - I have busted up knees - fell on a tank in 29 Palms in 1983 - and I can't climb anywhere, much less the top of my RV. Sorry to have bothered you with my request for some info about replacing the roof. I'm sure you had a lot better things to do with your time.

As far as the "doing it myself", I meant that I would hire someone to get up there and just patch it if it's not that bad instead of forking over $5400 for the vinyl roof. The insurance paid on it but not enough for the vinyl roof and especially not enough for the new fiberglass roof.All he said was that I had a "cracked fiberglass roof". I've never had a fiberglass roof before, spent hours online researching solutions and simply wanted some experienced opinions from people who have had this issue before.

Were you so judgmental because I'm female? Maybe next time consider the reasons I may not "know so much" before being so mean.
Bronco Bev
2005 Allegro Bus 40QDP
2004 Jeep Liberty
Skye, Roo, Cocoa and Bo

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
OP wouldn't know, Tinstar. Her knowledge of the damage is second hand. It's way up there on the roof, for heaven's sake! Asks for repair suggestions when she hasn't seen damage!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Not that you should have it replaced but I assume you know that if you don't have it replaced your insurance will not repair it again should you have another problem with it. They also will not pay any claim of water damage from it leaking at some later point in time. Just something to think about.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would eternabond work? I mean if you just want a DIY with no frills.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Bruce_Brown
TNTraveller wrote:
How big is the damage?

We had a falling limb punch a 2 inch hole in the fiberglass roof of our Sea Breeze. Bought a fiberglass repair kit at Wal-Mart for $20 and fixed it in less than 2 hours. Sand the area, lay in fiberglass cloth, mix and apply resin, and let dry. I did two layers of cloth and resin out of caution.

Still have the remaining part of the kit in a compartment in case it happens again.

This is what I'd do, assuming the rest of the roof hasn't deteriorated past it's useful life.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I haven't been up there to look." Why not? Too busy? But not too busy to type out a request for ideas, suggestions. Nothing like asking for opinions about something you don't know anything about.

"I'm starting to like the "do it yourself" suggestion." How would you know? Crossing you off my list of serious posters.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BroncoBev
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been up there to look. Insurance estimated ALL the damage to be $9k. A repair guy came out and used clear caulk on it to seal the cracks and he said it wasn't that bad. That's not a lot for all of that damage in my book, especially if I'm supposed to get a new roof done or a major repair. Especially a new fiberglass roof. I'm starting to like the "do it yourself" suggestion.
Bronco Bev
2005 Allegro Bus 40QDP
2004 Jeep Liberty
Skye, Roo, Cocoa and Bo

TNTraveller
Explorer
Explorer
How big is the damage?