cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2600 Miles Across Alaska: To the Arctic Ocean and back

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished 18 days, two ferries, and 2600 miles from Juneau to the Arctic Ocean. Long trip, no break downs, and nice to be back in the truck camper again.

We moved to SE Alaska two years ago, first living on an island with about 23 miles of roads, and now in Juneau, where we have about 40 miles of roads more or less. To use our camper on the road system entails a $500 ferry ride, so we don't really use our truck camper much anymore. We bought a big boat that we camp out of now, but we sure miss our truck camper days. This trip filled a big void in that regard. Just driving anywhere more than ten miles is a novelty, when you live in a place with very few roads that all dead end in the ocean.

Our "truck camper", the boat. Our "road system" in SE Alaska is endless, but it's all water. So we spend A LOT of money on fuel, zipping around here and there, visiting forest service cabins on the ocean.

Past time in Alaska, catching lots of salmon and halibut.

Day 1: Ferry to Skagway and drive to Whitehorse, Yukon.

330 am wakeup for a 7 hour ferry ride to Skagway up Lynn Canal.

We live in a rainforest.

With lots of glaciated peaks.

We spend almost every day on our boat, we didn't see this from the ferry, but I thought I'd throw it in here.

Arriving in Skagway, while it is inundated with cruise ships.

On a road longer than 40 miles!!!!

Made it to Whitehorse, Yukon. This time of year it gets dark at 1100 or so and light at around 0300 or so. It only got worse on this trip. Makes it hard to sleep.

Day 2-18 later....
43 REPLIES 43

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Juneau the smart move is a nice boat and an old Subaru station wagon.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
trackhead wrote:
c.traveler2 wrote:
Gakona Glacier, the road to the campsite near the glacier, is there a sign pointing it out or some indication that your on the right road and how far was the hike to the glacier from the campsite?

The side road is pretty obvious. I don't recall a sign, but you can't miss it. There aren't many side roads like that in AK. Hike to glacier was maybe 3 miles?

You can see the glacier from the highway, and the road is quite obvious.

Here's a couple of photos of the road I'm thinking of along the Richardson highway, does it look familiar?

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
Gakona Glacier, the road to the campsite near the glacier, is there a sign pointing it out or some indication that your on the right road and how far was the hike to the glacier from the campsite?

The side road is pretty obvious. I don't recall a sign, but you can't miss it. There aren't many side roads like that in AK. Hike to glacier was maybe 3 miles?

You can see the glacier from the highway, and the road is quite obvious.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Day 15: Beaver to Haines Jct

Sunny weather in the rain shadow of the St. Elias range. Warm temps and swimming in Yukon lakes.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Day 13-14. Gakona to Tok.

Rain rolls in, views of the Wrangell's are obscured. A bit of fishing, and more rain.

Little skiff we paddled out near US/CA border. Caught some tiny trout.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
It was NANA, per my wife's memory. Chevron, I believe.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
trackhead wrote:
c.traveler2 wrote:
Looks like you guys had a wonderful time, nice TR. Your photo at the RV dump reminded me of the Robin William movie...RV.

Where in Deadhorse is that RV dump located?

It's at the backside of an unlikely gas station. Sorry, can't remember the name of the gas station. It's a free dump if you fill up your gas tank.

It's documented in Milepost.....

Our 2015 Milepost only said to ask locally for RV dumps, you have only Tesoro or NANA, we didn't need one but still wanted to know for the future travel.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Day 12: F-banks to Gakona

Best campsite of the trip, by far. Drove about four miles of semi rough road to camp near the Gakona Glacier. Then sprinted up to the base of it before nightfall. Unreal place.

Saw this twice, once in Delta, and in Coldfoot, where we had to wait a day for gas to arrive.

Ice caves at terminus of glacier.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Day 11: Yukon to F-banks.

Made our way off the haul road and did a little (emphasis on little) fishing near F-banks. Caught a few small grayling, nothing compared to our 8-20lb salmon we catch, or 60lb halibut, but still fun.

Yukon river bridge.

Tiny grayling.

Camp just outside of F-banks.

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
Looks like you guys had a wonderful time, nice TR. Your photo at the RV dump reminded me of the Robin William movie...RV.

It's at the backside of an unlikely gas station. Sorry, can't remember the name of the gas station. It's a free dump if you fill up your gas tank.

It's documented in Milepost.....

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Day 10: Marion Creek to Yukon River Camp

Back at our favorite campground at Marion Creek and to do some $4/load laundry at Coldfoot.

Simpleton dirt lot camping at Yukon Camp. Not my favorite place, but it works.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
What a great trip. We went a few years back, only made it as far up as Wiseman, before nasty weather chewed up the time we had. But it was the trip of a lifetime.
There's no scenery to compare!