cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare tire, Class A

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a new-to-me "A" toy hauler. 36' w/10' garage.

It has huge tires, standard for that size vehicle I assume.

It does NOT have a spare tire/wheel.....and doesn't look like there is a "standard" place to put one. If I get one, it probably would travel in the "garage".

Is it common to NOT have a spare with that size tires ?
I suspect that they are pretty rugged.....and it looks like buying a new wheel and tire might be VERY expensive.

What do other class A owners do about a spare tire ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"
11 REPLIES 11

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Been at this hobby off and on for about 50 years, as a teen I remember that our Camper had a spare. My first two MHs I owned as an adult had a spare. My newest MH, a Diesel Pusher did not come with a spare or a place to carry it. Some people opt to carry a tire only in one of the bays. I decided I wanted to carry a spare tire that was ready to go. Yes I have ERS and a Credit Card, but the ERS may not have access to a spare that will fit or match and it most likely will if available at all be at list or more. Further the last time I needed a spare it took over 4 hours to get road service out to me and that was only because I had a spare. If I had to get a tire it would have been the next day at best. I have a mounted spare on a Roadmaster (Simpson) carrier AND I have the tools to change it if necessary. As you might guess I fall firmly in the have it with you ready to go camp.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
On my last coach I put the 22.5 tire inside under the lift up bed mattress. On my '07 Bounder it has moveable compartment cover on the back cap that the tire fits in perfectly (along with my stinky slinky).

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
An unmounted spare is not that heavy and doesn't take up that much space. It can also save you hours, if you have a flat, especially on a weekend or Holiday. Road service will mount it for you at the side of the road. It usually takes the guy 30-45 minutes to change a tire. If you do not have an unmounted spare, road service has to find one, pick it up, pay an exorbitant price, and then bring it to you and then they still have to mount it on your rim. Depending on where you are, this can take a day or longer to happen. If you always stay close to the interstates, it may only cost you several hours at the side of a busy highway.

Bruce_Brown
I'm with Bill, we carry a cell phone, credit card, and a roadside assistance plan.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bill1374 wrote:
Given it's weight. if I had to change a 22.5 on my motorhome now, my back would laugh at me and just plain quit. I did it when I was much younger but not anymore. My current answer is my Discover card and Coachnet.

Bill

Even if you're Paul Bunyan at age 18, it doesn't help a bit, if you're without road hazard insurance and you need towed out of Death Valley. That alone would pay for many a tire change and the insurance premiums for years to come.
Just the other day and unexpected, we had to have our Jeep towed to the garage for a broken tranny cable and what's even better about CN, is that they can care less who these vehicles belong to, as you're the one that's being insured, not your personally owned vehicles.
Different if the annual cost was exorbitant, but to the contrary and even with the recent increases.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Either way, you're better off with having it, than being without.

That's kind of what I figured.
But I bet that "used" wheels are going to be hard to come by and new ones won't be cheap.
Still might be less than ONE service call for the "portable tire shop" truck.

Thanks for the replies.

Now to put the Spyder in the garage and see where the spare would best fit.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Given it's weight. if I had to change a 22.5 on my motorhome now, my back would laugh at me and just plain quit. I did it when I was much younger but not anymore. My current answer is my Discover card and Coachnet.

Bill
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:

It does NOT have a spare tire/wheel.....and doesn't look like there is a "standard" place to put one. If I get one, it probably would travel in the "garage".

I suspect that they are pretty rugged.....and it looks like buying a new wheel and tire might be VERY expensive.

Most can't find a place for a large one, without throwing out a lot of other stuff. You have the space, so definitely get one, but used. This is so your road service insurance can have it put on and save you the expense of paying at road service mercy with even finding one, while out on the road. Then you proceed to find a tire dealer and go from there, for whatever best meets your needs.
Once said and done, you retain your original spare and probably best if it's already mounted. Either way, you're better off with having it, than being without.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I had a fleet tire service get me a new 22.5 wheel and mount a tire for a spare that I carry in one of the bays. Still have lots of room for other items.

That allows me to have a spare of my choice and do not need some road service to provide a tire of their choice and price. Also much more convenient and easily repaired should there be a flat.

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you're talking about 22.5 " tires, most people just carry a spare tire not a complete tire/wheel assy. On the road prof tire changers will mount your tire.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:

I will be getting me a spare for sure. Hopefully a cheap used wheel and tire not out dated.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS