cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Technology To Save Lives. How Much Would You Squawk

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If a "breathalyzer" was made a required retrofit on a motor vehicle?

Some of the technical problems associated with a retrofit? Like it or not this has become a "hot spot" issue according to some pundits.

Similar to patrol cars that are equipped with license plate "read and auto detect licensing, crime, and other law violations"

Is this the proper forum for this? I tried to match and found nothing that seemed to fit. Because I visit the state that is considering this I would have to install such a device myself. I would like to read about experiences that other readers have noted with court ordered breathalyzers. But not -personal experience- which would be ludicrously intrusive.

I have a hard time believing enough machines would ever be available to do this. But California state legislators are irrational. This would cut me off of my access to medical.

But then again, the image below depicts damage done by a .025 blood alcohol level

99 REPLIES 99

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
And again, the OP is not domiciles in California and is thus not entitled to a CA license nor to register vehicles there.

I do not understand why he/she is upset.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
4X4van,

Thank you. My wallet can relax.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Just to get this thread back to the OP's original opening suggestion...there is no pending legislation (even in CA) for requiring breathalyzers on all vehicles.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a friend in his mid-70's. All he has is disability income, a used but good condition pickup, and furniture his friends give him ... including a large screen TV.

He lives a in beautiful new apartment on the first floor of a new building with green grass and trees around it. It's located in a great place - weatherwise and otherwise - just south of Santa Cruz, CA, and inland only about a mile from the coast. It's within walking distance to groceries, fast foods, etc.. He just had knee replacement surgery at Stanford Hospital ... probably(?) at no cost to him whatsoever.

HIs particular apartment has a real low controlled rent due to a county (or state?) program designated for those on low fixed incomes.

Mexico is not necessary to live well on a nickle or dime. It can be done in other places ... even good old terrible California (whether you spell it with a "C" or a "K").
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta ask. If you are not domiciled in CA you can not (legally) obtain a Driver's License there, correct?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, maybe California isn't the place for you since you have nothing but problems with it. Maybe you need to move elsewhere and no longer depends on California for your needs. We have no such issues here in Missouri, but we don't have beaches and mountains either. You pays yer money and you takes yer cherces.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Choice means options. You err I'm afraid...living in the landscape alongside a freeway is not an option.
Wuwee, the undocumented do not decide where public taxes are spent. The legislators do.

The answer above is a great illustration of the warping of perception of reality. Why legislation attempts utterly fail to realize goals. Come. Sit with me in a healthcare waiting room. The last visit was me, and nine expectant mothers who I could only converse with in Spanish. A 2:00 appointment? Promptly, at 2:36 I was called. The six minute "I have other patients waiting" visit had the harried doctor forgetting to FAX four of my 24-font written listed medications. Three of which where cardiac medicines. THIS has become "the norm" It was too late to call the doctor from the pharmacy.

Why is a two thousand dollar machine is being "looked at" in an attempt to augment public safety? Tackle the abstract not the reality?

With Dystopian mentality the absurd becomes the normal and normal becomes undesirable. Favorite people-points to champion are the broad swath known as "victims".

The only problem is, the cure is far worse than the malady. If a point of contention clearly urges a particular course of action, it therefore (to legislative0 is not usable.

If anyone knows of a place in California that hosts dwellings fit for a social security budget please yell and scream...

The silence is deafening...

You certainly do have issues.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Choice means options. You err I'm afraid...living in the landscape alongside a freeway is not an option.
Wuwee, the undocumented do not decide where public taxes are spent. The legislators do.

The answer above is a great illustration of the warping of perception of reality. Why legislation attempts utterly fail to realize goals. Come. Sit with me in a healthcare waiting room. The last visit was me, and nine expectant mothers who I could only converse with in Spanish. A 2:00 appointment? Promptly, at 2:36 I was called. The six minute "I have other patients waiting" visit had the harried doctor forgetting to FAX four of my 24-font written listed medications. Three of which where cardiac medicines. THIS has become "the norm" It was too late to call the doctor from the pharmacy.

Why is a two thousand dollar machine is being "looked at" in an attempt to augment public safety? Tackle the abstract not the reality?

With Dystopian mentality the absurd becomes the normal and normal becomes undesirable. Favorite people-points to champion are the broad swath known as "victims".

The only problem is, the cure is far worse than the malady. If a point of contention clearly urges a particular course of action, it therefore (to legislative0 is not usable.

If anyone knows of a place in California that hosts dwellings fit for a social security budget please yell and scream...

The silence is deafening...

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No offense, but that sounds a lot more like the choice you made for living in Mexico not a failure of California or the fault of the undocumented.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
/My chair neighbor said he had am 11:10 appointment, it was then 1:25PM
California wants to spend tens of millions of dollars to shield undocumented immigrants. Read tens of millions of dollars PER LARGE CITY.

Additional government offices to LESSEN THE MAN HOUR WASTE of a thousand people waiting hours for service? You MUST be joking. I telephoned AUGUST 21 for an appointment. First one? October 11, at 0930. That means I would have to start driving at 0430 in Mexico. A border crossing can take anywhere from an hour and a half to four hours.

Now that I know my next doctor appointment is on 9 Oct. I can get an appointment for sometime in December*. My next cardiologist appt is for 12:30. This means departing at 0600. The closest I can come to renting a place "up there" is 25 mi east in El Cajon for 220% of my total pension check. You know, the neighborhood where bars on the windows and a washing machine size burglar alarm bell on the side of the house is standard operating procedure. By the way that price is for a third floor unfurnished appt.

When I arrived, the line stretching Outside the doors was so long I lost count at eighty something. When I was directed indoors the only reason I got a seat was because of my crutches.

Money for undocumented immigrants. Something like 200 million and counting...

*nothing after 11:00AM

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
The same issue with DMV that MEXICOWANDERER identified with CA existed in the mid-1980s in San Diego when I lived here for five years following retirement from the US Navy.

In 1988 or so they changed to a mandatory appointment schedule approach. Want a license, call and schedule a time TO THE MINUTE! License renewal, see you in El Cajon at 1:14 PM on Tuesday.

Show up one minute late, start all over.
surprisingly, show up a couple of minutes early and they would see you at 1:14 PM.

Sounds like that system is no longer working.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Rode a city bus recently. The elevated vantage point allowed me to look down into other cars driving alongside the bus. I'd say roughly a third of the drivers I observed were either texting or using their phones in some manner, and this was in busy city traffic. It was a real eye opener for me. I knew distracted driving is becoming a huge issue, but I had no idea just how rampant it is.
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Here in Michigan if you get a DWI, you have to fit a 'blow to go' in your vehicle and you blow bad, the car don't go. You get to foot the cost too.

I think it's a great idea.

You first.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I just visited a California DMV last week. Four and one half hours later I walked out without a renewed disabled placard. I was still an hour and a half away from P1032
Cardiologist came first.

That is one failed state...

David .... did you make an appointment (the smart thing to do), or just walk in and expect fast service?

Maybe CA isn't really "failed" - just frustrating because it's the most populated state in the U.S.trying to, and expected to by it's population, offer leading edge services quickly to it's massive population.

Any place in the world, as populations are offered more and more modern services irrespective of those populations' current size or growth rates, the challenges of offering those services can become unbearably complex and frustrating to deal with.

We need less population or less sophisticated services being egalitarianly offered. I vote for less population everywhere.

P.S. IMHO, drivers licenses are too easy to get anyway. It's too bad we've come to depend upon having them so much for our living. Self driving cars may fix the DMV waiting times problem. :R
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C