cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone install a jackknife sofa?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just wondering if anyone has installed a jackknife sofa in the TC. It seems it's a viable option to keep some storage under the seating area. And, there are lots of models/brands out there.

If you did and wrote up or did video of your install, I'd like to see it. If it's not obvious, this would be to replace the dinette.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
8 REPLIES 8

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My thought is that the jackknife sofa will also provide at least some support in the slide given the "storage" option. I'm not sure if that matters or not.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
It's gotta be a better bed than a dinette with the thin cushions that squirt out from underneath you any time you move.

just different degrees of dreadful.
bumpy

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's gotta be a better bed than a dinette with the thin cushions that squirt out from underneath you any time you move.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Like us, I'm assuming that Jim rarely if ever uses the dinette as a bed?

We have been kicking around the same idea. In the next few years we have tentative plans of going south for the coldest months. With that in mind, we would like a more comfortable place to sit than the face to face dinette.

A larger TC and the necessary larger dually truck would be nice but our low mileage short bed 2012 truck is paid off and the TC should be paid off in a couple years.

Also going to a short TT or short 5th (we have looked) would have a couch or recliners but we really enjoy the compact size of our 24' long combo. We value mobility very highly.

I have been looking at RV couches as well but in our situation we don't even need the fold down option. Yes, I understand we will be losing the storage space under the benches, both inside access and maybe even most of the storage space available through the two outside hatches.

If I find anything I'll post it.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
magic sofa beds have a smooth surface with no welts/buttons/etc. but won't have storage underneath.
bumpy

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has installed a jackknife sofa in the TC. It seems it's a viable option to keep some storage under the seating area. And, there are lots of models/brands out there.

If you did and wrote up or did video of your install, I'd like to see it. If it's not obvious, this would be to replace the dinette.

I called RV Mobile repair to 'fix' my jack knife couch because the back wasn't straight.

To my surprise, he came out and took my WHOLE couch out and rebuilt the frame with real wood!

I would call a local CG near you and ask who they use for RV Mobile Repair. These guys are GREAT, have seen it all and can repair it all and reasonably priced.

My mobile repair guy had that couch dismantled and out the door and a whole new frame built and back in and installed in less than an hour!! And it feels more comfortable sitting on it and sleeping on it than it ever did from the factory.:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Funny thing is some of them actually "look" pretty good, but you are right that the bed is not the primary focus. The dinette isn't especially comfy. Recliners would make it impossible to sleep and sofa beds have no storage and no real bed either.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you don't want a comfortable bed?
bumpy