cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Steel Wheels With Aluminum

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am replacing the 15" 6 lug steel wheels on my Toy Hauler with some Sendel 15" 6 lug aluminum spoke wheels. I am going to use a 6 lug snap on center cap that snaps over the lug nuts. Since the lug nuts will be covered can I use my existing lug nuts?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
9 REPLIES 9

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Cmon, if you can't speak the lingo, don't ask questions.

OP asked about lug nuts.

All wheels have a style of seat in the rim, there are 3 styles, that the lug nut has to work with.

Google it.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for going 16 and LT while you are at it.

recstuff 16" x 6 on 5.5 aluminum

I went with the black center cap and chrome lug nuts. Had those lug covers and they looked good for maybe 4 months. All look like they match with cone seated lugs.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
lincster wrote:
Style of seat is all that matters.

Huh???

Someone into the Kool-Aid early today?

Lakeside

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:

Huh???
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
The only draw back I see if you get a blow out using aluminum over a steel rim. And I can still drive on a steel rim with a flat if I half too. I carry two spares.

Ah yer...sparking down the highway...lol You can drive on an aluminum rim too but it destroys it.

Keep in mind however that any aluminum rim that is polished will have a clearcoat over the aluminum and stones will chip it and then they will corrode (white rust) in the chipped areas and look bad. An old, chipped aluminum wheel always loos like 5 miles of bad road...or worse. Steel rims on the other hand can be rattle canned back to almost new a lot cheaper.

I polish a lot of clear coat wheels in my spare time and I get 50-75 bucks a wheel (depending on the wheel) to strip off the clearcoat, and polish them. Nice side job if you have the right stuff.

200 to 300 bucks for a set of 4 and only with the tires removed from the rims.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
The only draw back I see if you get a blow out using aluminum over a steel rim. And I can still drive on a steel rim with a flat if I half too. I carry two spares.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Bedlam
I swapped in Raceline aluminum for my steel wheels on my toy hauler. You need to look at the whether the lug holes require a flat or conical lug nut. Make sure the rim you are using is rated for sufficient weight and pressure ratings.

BTW: My Raceline's came with center caps.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
I went from 15" steel wheels to 16" aluminum wheels and re-used some of the old ones. They both called for conical seat hex nuts, so it was no problem. It just depends on type of seat.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.