cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kaspersky Anti-Virus FREE Edition

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to let those here know that Kaspersky Anti-Virus Free Edition is available. I have been running/testing/evaluating this free version since its release a few weeks ago. Anyway, very effective, very clean interface and absolutely no friggin ads like you are bombarded with, with other free anti-virus programs. For example AVG Anti-Virus free, these day, will bombard you repeatedly each day with ads and such. Anyway, I encourage you to uninstall your current free anti-virus program and install Kaspersky free that you can find here. Evaluate it and take the time to comment here about it

p.s. Yes, I know the United Stated government no longer uses Kaspersky. I'm hoping that this thread does not get hammered with comments about Russia and such..
21 REPLIES 21

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
After the news report on this company, I think I will pass on it.

There's a bit of a history here. Last year, Microsoft intentionally began hijacking Kaspersky AV products. Eugene Kaspersky called them out on it, and they have since "corrected" their mistake. All these company's compete, and you would think that Microsoft wouldn't care since it's free with the OS, but they do. So Microsoft launched a slander campaign that reached Congress, and hence the bad PR. Eugene Kaspersky offered to testify in person to Congress for as long as they want regarding his software and business. It's a point of fact that Kaspersky and Bitdefender have long held the top spots for best antivirus, with most top nerds agreeing that Kaspersky is the best, but also the most expensive. Kaspersky is based in Russia, so that makes people nervous, but the fact it's based in Russia is the source of it's strength. They are on the leading edge of whats happening in cybercrime. As we all know now, Russian hackers are the best, always have been, and that's why Kaspersky nails it first. A word about AV Comparitives. They say they are independent. They are not. They are paid by the vendors, and who do you think pays the most? Microsoft. When you see Microsoft ranked at the top, don't believe it. Their better than they use to be, but they still lag behind. The best thing to do is read many many un-sponsored antivirus reviews. Tha'ts the best way to distill the truth.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
There's also a browser that originated in Russia, Yandex. I've tried it out of curiosity and it seemed pretty nice. But I'm now back to Edge and Chrome, which are perfectly satisfactory.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Who knows the truth but it does raise red flags. Here's an article that has more detail. One would have to be pretty naive not to wonder and follow through to insure such software was safe.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:

You make a mention of a news report and then do not post a link to said report so others can go read the report.

I've read recent reports in regard to Kaspersky and none of the reports gave me any reason to be concerned.

Here is one report I've read.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would throw the computer in the trash before I paid any of these criminals. I keep things backed up but not daily so I lost a couple of minor things but really could care less. Everything important is backed up in house. Not in a cloud, not online anywhere. I guess I should just do it a bit more often. No worries! If I lose a couple of cute cat pictures I can just take more!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Good going, Bill Satellite. If nobody paid those creeps, they'd be forced to move on to something else.:C

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got smacked with the ransom ware stuff yesterday and shut the computer down. I loaded Malwaresbyte and Kaspersky and it still lived there on the Firefox browser. I am now back and running after doing a full reinstall but at least I didn't have to pay anyone any ransom! This virus is getting worse as I simply mis-typed an address and got screwed. I am never going to enter an address directly as it's too easy to make the same mistake that I did. Now, I will ever the address in the search bar and let it pull us the list of addresses associated with that entry. Had I done that yesterday, I would not have wasted about 1/2 day putting everything back together again.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Irover wrote:
I have used MalwareBytes Free and WD with no problems on MS Windows! .

Same here.

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I have used MalwareBytes Free and WD with no problems on MS Windows! I use MalwareBytes and Avast free versions on my 2009 MacBook Air, no problems.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I loaded it today and I am now trying to get myselfna working computer again. This sucks and I will likely have to format and start again.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
The THing I don't trust about Windows Defender is this:
WHO DO YOU THINK Put the "Vulnerability" in the Operating System to start with?

I happen to like Science Fiction.. A TV show (VIPER) featured a company "Keys Computer" or some such.. Well turns out they put a "Back door" in every computer so they could take over when they had enough in use. The driver of the VIPER knew this.. but alas could not prove it to a court's satisfaction. Keys knew he knew and thus was the on-going conflict in the show.

I Actually don't like those "Mortal Enemy" things all that much but the rest of the show was entainering.. If you like fiction..

Doesn't matter to me. I'll keep using WD until it proves to be a problem. I'm well backed up and have already reinstalled the OS on a few occasions when my experimentations caused an issue. I understand the fall update will offer further improvements to WD. ๐Ÿ˜‰

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The THing I don't trust about Windows Defender is this:
WHO DO YOU THINK Put the "Vulnerability" in the Operating System to start with?

I happen to like Science Fiction.. A TV show (VIPER) featured a company "Keys Computer" or some such.. Well turns out they put a "Back door" in every computer so they could take over when they had enough in use. The driver of the VIPER knew this.. but alas could not prove it to a court's satisfaction. Keys knew he knew and thus was the on-going conflict in the show.

I Actually don't like those "Mortal Enemy" things all that much but the rest of the show was entainering.. If you like fiction..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I ran Norton security for years, and it did the job OK, but now I'm using Windows Defender and so far there hasn't been a problem. Besides, it's free as it comes with Windows 10 automatically.