Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing A/C, Sealant on Gasket?

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
A/C unit died an early death, so I'm replacing it with the same. lol

In removing the old, it appears the factory used some kind of clear sealant on the roof side. It's some kind of high bond stuff too. This made it extremely difficult to break the seal free and remove it without tearing the roof material. In fact, it did a little. Very frustrating. It took almost all my brute strength to pry and lift, pry and lift before it would finally come loose. At that point, I had to go inside and meticulously hold down the roof material to keep it from ripping and tearing WHILE I pushed against the 100 lb. unit. Almost an hour just to do all this.

Everything I've read on the Airexcel website and watched regarding installing a new gasket says not to use any sealant. So why on earth does Northwood do that? Have they had problems with leaks? Should I apply sealant?
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's
9 REPLIES 9

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Joe, I read the instructions for the Roughneck gasket and the adhesive side is supposed to go to the AC pan not the roof membrane.

Hmm... Not sure. The way I read the instructions, it's designed to go on the roof side.

anutami wrote:

When I ordered mine with the mach 8 9200 Btu ac and found they installed the 13k model instead they also used a sealant and took about an hour to replace. I found using a credit card was the easest thing to break the seal. Apparantly the dealer installed the ac. Because their were about 30 screw holes whete the standard vent had been. I used dicor to be on the safe side.

Yeah, the hardest part was getting the old one down and the new one onto the roof.

Did you use the gasket that came with the A/C, or did you get one with the adhesive? The existing bolts I have are apparently to prevent shearing in the case of movement.

Note the oil leak which caused the roof to bubble

QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
dup. post
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
I got a real gem. What can I say?
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
So your charger goes out, AC dies, you find holes in your side wall seals!!! Whats going on? Your camper is not that old.

When I ordered mine with the mach 8 9200 Btu ac and found they installed the 13k model instead they also used a sealant and took about an hour to replace. I found using a credit card was the easest thing to break the seal. Apparantly the dealer installed the ac. Because their were about 30 screw holes whete the standard vent had been. I used dicor to be on the safe side.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, I read the instructions for the Roughneck gasket and the adhesive side is supposed to go to the AC pan not the roof membrane.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Northwood installed it.

But I just looked into the different gaskets used. Apparently I have the "Roughneck" kit which is a gasket with sealant and grade 5 bolts. It's used on off road applications to keep the unit from shifting. Makes sense. But dang, that gasket was on there.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure Northwood installed the AC or did the dealer install the AC?

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Never mix 2 remedies together.
With new gasket just make sure everything is clean and smooth.
I mean CLEAN AND SMOOTH

X2
Camp Host, from the other side.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Never mix 2 remedies together.
With new gasket just make sure everything is clean and smooth.
I mean CLEAN AND SMOOTH