cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prime Time Avenger front leak warning

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
This is an informative warning to anyone who has this specific brand and line TT. We purchased ours new 6 months ago and during our first trip driving in the rain I noticed water in the front storage and the master bed / mattress was soaked. As I knew this would be a big issue and did not trust any dealer to try and fix under warranty, I decided to remove the entire front wall interior of the master bedroom myself. I don't have time or patience to complain to the manufacturer, going back and forth in emails, calls, etc. I am just not that type of guy. Maybe 20 years from now I might, but as I have the know how to fix myself, I wanted to know what the problem is.

Everything was soaked. Insulation, framing, etc. So, after having a friend spray down the front with a hose ( using the fan pattern to mimic the spray you would get from driving) all 3 seams from the corrugated sided instantly leaked, and leaked bad.

From the outside I installed a foam backer rod through the seem and stuffed it in with a plastic scraper. I then installed a second backer rod just because. Finally, I chose to seal with a high quality 100% silicon caulking. Then I proceeded in sealing the entire end channel from top to bottom.

Once the caulking set, I tested again for a long time and even used the stream function on my hose spayed, nothing leaked.

So, if you have this specific TT, I would ensure yours is water tight, or at least pay attention when you drive in rain, if you smell mold as time goes on, this is your problem. I believe mine was built missing some type of gasket in the seams as these TTs with a corrugated fronts have been around for years. Next TT will have a fiberglass cap for sure.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291
7 REPLIES 7

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our Prime time Avenger in 2014 to replace the 2007 Surveyor the was totaled in a storm. We have had many problems with this trailer including a window gasket installed upside down (expansion joint on top) allowing water to pour into the wall. but haven't had any problem like what you mention. But thanks for giving one more thing to worry about.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden... you hit the nail on the head. I am in the residential home building business and we use dymonic sealants (trench) to seal older window frames (aluminum frames). It was easiest to describe it as silicone.

Anyway, I don't plan on keeping this TT more than a year or two, we made a poor choice on our 3rd TT and we just have to live with it until then.

It is well covered from a large RV pole barn that I built (18w x 40L), I am not worried about the sealant failing. If it seams to need some maintenance, that is easy enough to do. I use this dymonic on everything around my property, I am confident in its performance.

Thanks all for your thoughts.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of misconceptions on these forums regarding silicone.

I agree with not using it if you're talking using whatever comes off the shelf at the big box or Ace.

Its a different story if you can lay your hands on some of this. Keystone uses this, or was using it, for all joints that did not involve roofing and its good stuff. Why don't most manufacturers use it? Because its expensive...thats why.

TREMPRO 645
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Silicone will work fine as long as it isn't subjected to UV.
They use it underwater in pools and spas to seal parts.

Unfortunately the spot you found the leak is very common with aluminum clad travel trailers.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Never use silicone anything on an RV. Won't last and is a mess in the end. Polymer sealants like Dicor are the correct choice.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you were able to get it fixed. The quality control on these RVs is terrible!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone will degrade if on the exterior. Better to use one of the newer polymer sealers.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton