cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went to the dark side

Rich_Yvonne
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it finally happened. We traded in our Lance for a travel trailer. Two main concerns for us to make the choice was the fact that both of us were getting claustrophobic and for the DW was not being able to comfortably make the bed. Also the wet bath seemed to get really small over time. We loved camping in our Lance and it never let us down.
Now I just have to figure out how to back up the darn thing 🙂

Thank you all for the wealth of information you have provided.
2008 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab LB 6.0 Vortec
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
13 REPLIES 13

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oftentimes you have to make changes to "keep on trucking". I will never give up camping as long as I am able. And camping to me is NOT trailer parks. I bought my first TC around 1975, a Cascade stubby half cabover. WOW!! All the comforts of home and still go where you would tent camping!!

But, especially as we get older our comfort levels increase. Or, you need more room for Grandkids, in which I have none. I miss my TC so bad I nearly gave up camping. But to make it through one night (no trailer parks with hookups) I need a minimum of 4 golf cart bats, 450 watts of solar and generators to get things ready for the next night. Oxygen concentrator and CPAP. Smoked too many cigarettes, swallowed too much Agent Orange.

I am not doing any rock crawling with my TT but thankfully I am still able to get off the grid in some beautiful spots. Thanks to Profidant for the encouragement and all the wonderful public lands!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
We did this earlier this year for the same reasons, too tight but I do still have all of the rigging to carry a camper so might pick up a cheap one for fishing.

Never know, sometimes things come round full circle...
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
We were pretty much ready to make the jump to a 5th wheel and decided to go one more round with a TC. I think eventually we will go with a trailer.

It really doesn't matter how you get down the road, just keep moving along.

Happy Trails.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been on the darker side since the beginning ... never owned a truck camper.

We have a small Class C MH, but on a big Class C chassis for additional ruggedness - the Ford E450.

We take it off-highway on dirt/gravel roads when needed, it has a low ratio differential for crawling along slow, we have taller non-stock M&S tires on it for good traction and additional ground clearance, all chassis components are mounted up high to prevent damage on rough roads, and we can camp in intimate out-of-the way campgrounds with small spaces ... plus boondock out in the middle of nowhere with it's generous tanks, dry shower, fairly quiet 4KW built-in generator to power everything, big twin AGM batteries, and two queen beds.

So far - after over 60K miles of travel - we really appreciate it's overall comfort, versatility, and flexibility in a variety of camping situations.

P.S. Why should TC owners have all the fun! 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
and here I though this was another post about the eclipse :B

Enjoy your new unit, the one that is best is the one that you use.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Rich_Yvonne
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 The mosquitoes in Palm Beach County don't seem to be as bad as in years past. Maybe because the humidity has been down this year? Who knows.

Lwiddis Yep. Doing that now. Still can't get my right from my left but experience will teach me how. Just like I learned from experience how to load the camper onto the truck. I made my own curse words the first couple of tries 🙂

SidecarFlip I used to camp with only a tooth brush in my back pocket. Shesh what a change from then to now.
2008 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab LB 6.0 Vortec
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's not feasible for everybody, but we have a 5er for destination camping, when we plan to stay put for a little while, and a TC for when we want to keep moving and explore some smaller roads. As has been said, people need to do what works best for them and keep on RVing as long as possible.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Our family got smaller so we downsized to a smaller TC. Learning to take even less...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
How to back up? Slowly, with a spotter, holding steering wheel at bottom. You'll do fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We'll never forget our time with a TC but our little family just out-grew it.
Enjoy the new TT!

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
I'm single and like my camper. If I was married there's a pretty good chance I'd be towing a TT.
Camp Host, from the other side.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
To each of his/her own.
We are just enjoying Lance TC for fast movement around the country and easy to drive everywhere.
We are getting eaten by mosquitoes in New Orleans, so should be in Florida next week. How are mosquitoes there?
Fact i that our 1161 has poorly design bath and since our older Fleetwood did not sell, we might go back to it for better bath and better storage.
Lance has side entrance, what we might miss, but in this life it is hard to get everything in small package.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ya' gotta' do what is best for your own situation... happy travels with the new rig.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.