cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SB camper on a LB truck

taycotrains
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever put a SB camper on a LB truck? We found a new 2016 9.2 Livin Lite TC that is $6000 cheaper and much more roomier than the 2018 8.6 Livin Lite. We love the aluminum body they both have, but we hate the split mattress that's in the 8.6.
31 REPLIES 31

taycotrains
Explorer
Explorer
Me and my wife want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to our question concerning this matter...we made the deal and will be picking up the camper next Friday.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
That's is a good observation- I may look into that... if anything, I would like to somehow reduce the front tie-down angle a bit.

DON'T. I have my ties at max angle Torqlift hardware allows and my camper still like to slide back.
I would just make sure the front wood frame is not going to cripple.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
That's is a good observation- I may look into that... if anything, I would like to somehow reduce the front tie-down angle a bit.

Had some first hand experience with your scenario 2 weeks ago. I sold my 900 series Lance to a guy with a short bed Ford F350 diesel (new one) which is opposite of your situation but he brought the truck up and I welded a 2x2 schedule 60 length of tubing to get his rear tie-down angle less acute in the back (just the opposite of you). I drilled the ends of the tubing and added heavy steel eye bolts to each end as attachement points.

He also had an issue up front where the Fastguns did not allow him to open his fuel door (common problem on new Ford Diesels with TL Talons and short beds so I added a flat Hot rolled 1/4" thick plate to the end of the attachment arm on the Talon to move his tie down on the drivers side away from the fuel door which is an issue that I talked to TL about.

You want yours more angled out back so the tubing on the hitch will work and extension plates on the front Talon's work too. Nice thing about welding a cross tube on the hitch is, one pin and its removed and not a shin buster anymore...lol

Additionally, you might consider adding a 'Sleepy' air foil / dam between the underside of the cab over and the truck cab to reduce turbulence and improve mileage.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
COG relative to the rear bumper is the same regardless of a short bed or long bed camper- my COG is about 2" forward of the rear axle- same as on a short bed truck. I am doing the SB camper on a LB truck... that extra space is welcome for storage and for my generator:

I built a simple frame to place between the front of the camper and the truck bulkhead. It is custom fit to keep my generator in place.

Looks good to me. I think (if it was my outfit is)... I'd add a cross bar welded to the trailer hitch to position the back tie down point farther back so the inverted V is pulling in the camper anchors.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
woodhog wrote:
Perfect set up, loads of storage , lacking in most setups....

Perfect setup, load of extra storage, lacking in most truck campers.

:C
You bet! Not only is the space between truck and camper, but the sides are really easy to get to as well! I use that side space mostly for fore wood.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
COG relative to the rear bumper is the same regardless of a short bed or long bed camper- my COG is about 2" forward of the rear axle- same as on a short bed truck. I am doing the SB camper on a LB truck... that extra space is welcome for storage and for my generator:

I built a simple frame to place between the front of the camper and the truck bulkhead. It is custom fit to keep my generator in place.

Perfect set up, loads of storage , lacking in most setups....

Perfect setup, load of extra storage, lacking in most truck campers.

:C

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Even if the COG isn't perfectly over the rear axle or a couple inches ahead of it, it's not the end of the world. W

We're talking about a Livin' Lite here, not a Host Mammoth.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III

NGaMountains
Explorer
Explorer
OP is asking about a SB camper on a LB truck, not the other way around as some replies seem to be addressing.
2017 Ford F-350 4WD Super Cab 6.2L Gas DRW
2014 Bigfoot 25C10.4

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do whatever you want and tell us how it goes.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
kohldad wrote:
Problem is the same length camper will make your rig longer on a SB truck than a long bed truck. The camper is roomier because it is a bigger camper. However, a 9-2 camper designed for a short bed truck will stick out the rear almost 3'. This will mean you will need a hitch extension like super truss if you plan on towing anything.

A 9-2 camper designed for a long bed will only stick out the back about 14". It will also allow you to tow most things with a simple 12" or 18" extension.

There is a reason that the camper is still on the lot. 9-2 on a sb is a long camper.

But it is a way to cram more camper space on a short bed truck. Having hauled around a 9' camper on a sb Dodge for a while now I can say the length isn't an issue.
Besides does anyone know exactly how far that 9.2 will have to sit back? May not be as much as it seems just by thinking difference in bed lengths.
Also you're correct, sometimes that long camper will require more trailer hitch accessories to get hooked up, but it depends on the camper.
One of the reasons I honed in on the AF campers is the overhang stays at bed level. No drop section or lower bumper. This allowed me to hook my trailers with a 12" hitch extension. Some trailers will work with this some won't.
Disclaimer, I couldn't jackknife any of my trailers with this setup, so not ideal but it worked and I happened to have a longer extension I packed with just in case I got into a tight spot and had to jack knife the trailer.
Just pointing out options.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
My Bigfoot is a SB on a LB. I made a spacer out of 2X8. One right at the front of box, the second in the pocket that GM puts in the side of the box,then two pieces to line up with the bump stops. Then I had to add a piece of 1X6 on so the camper didn't hit tail lights.
The space is handy. I carry my generator in there with a spare gas can. Had 2 5 gallon diesel cans and my 5 lb> propane tank as well.
It also allows me to stuff things beside the camper in front of the wheel wells. Just have to be sure that whatever goes in can be reached to get it back out.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
taycotrains wrote:
Has anyone ever put a SB camper on a LB truck? We found a new 2016 9.2 Livin Lite TC that is $6000 cheaper and much more roomier than the 2018 8.6 Livin Lite. We love the aluminum body they both have, but we hate the split mattress that's in the 8.6.

Running that way now. I needed to build a wooden framework for the front of the camper to contact. Torklift Tiedown extensions needed to be drilled to keep the turnbuckles away from the front jacks. Nice storage area in front of the camper. I recall one member uses the space for a generator.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4