cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5W vs. Bumper Pull

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
After giving my search a break for the summer, I'm back at it. Not super serious right now, but if I find the right RV, I'll probably buy it. I know that I'm limited in the size of 5W I can pull, so I'm considering a bigger bumper pull. I've also adjusted my budget a little, with the upper range being $35K for a 5w and $25K for a bumper pull. Is this even a reasonable budget for a 1-7 year old RV? I decided to buy used for my first RV in the long, partially because it is my first RV, and partially because I will be upgrading my truck in 3-4 years, so I will want to upgrade to bigger RV. Is this a wise plan? Sorry if I'm all over the place, I'm basically starting my search all over again.
Brett
'17 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71
2001 Coleman tent :B
29 REPLIES 29

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Having owned both here are some observations comparing a 31' 5er and 25' travel trailer. I know many of these are little things that you don't consider until owning them.,,,snip......

It is impossible to put a price on any of the "features" that you mentioned. It is possible to calculate the cost per square foot of usable living space between the two configurations. Might not matter to most people. A one level rectangle is a pretty efficient form factor. Not necessarily the "coolest" however.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned both here are some observations comparing a 31' 5er and 25' travel trailer. I know many of these are little things that you don't consider until owning them.

- You have to mitigate chucking issues with the 5er and you have to mitigate weight distribution and sway with the TT. The 5er tows better on the open road but the TT tracks the TV better in turns and is easier to back into a site. You have to look up when towing a 5er. The fifth wheel will be heavier from the outset and there is more opportunity to load it with more stuff.

- My guess is a truck will squat more with 1,000# mounted on a lever 5 ft. back from the axle (TT) than 2,000# mounted over the axle (5er). Your truck bed will be available to you with a TT and if your 5er hitch is heavy it is most likely parked in the back of the truck all season (like mine) taking up bed space.

- 5er storage is large and is more easily accessed from multiple doors rather than having to climb over a tailgate and dig out stuff under a canopy 8 ft. back. With a tri-fold cover on an 8 ft. bed the front third will tow dry and the bed can be covered when not towing. The front overhang on the 5er offers semi dry storage of stuff like bikes when it is raining.

- The high ceilings in the 5er give a feel of luxury and allow for more overhead storage. They also have more cubes so are harder to heat and cool. My television is high mounted so there is no obstruction when people walk by. The higher 5er platform also makes for a higher awning and in many cases renders it useless. Washing a 5er takes a longer brush and climbing on the roof is more intimidating due to the slope and higher roof. The tanks are mounted higher in a 5er and I feel they dump more efficiently. The stairs don't bother me but do many. I feel the 5er has more movement when walking around than the TT but could specific to my models. The ceiling is higher in the bathroom and I fit height wise in the shower better.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
A couple of things that I did not see specifically mentioned. First, a travel trailer will put 10-15% of its weight on the tow vehicle while a 5th wheel will put 20-25% on the tow vehicle. This can be somewhat confusing as the tow rating for a given tow vehicle is often greater for a 5th wheel than for a travel trailer. However, a tow vehicle may be under its payload capacity with a travel trailer and over its payload capacity with a 5th wheel of the same weight.

In my experience, many travel trailers are built for the weekend/vacation market. It seems there are more higher quality 5th wheel choices with things like higher R value insulation, dual pane windows, etc. (at a higher price of course).

Size may matter. While travel trailers over 32' box length (the living quarters without the tongue) are becoming more common, I think there are many more models in shorter lengths. Fifth wheels less than 30' seem to be relatively rare.

I will say you are likely right as to TT's to some degree pours is one of the largest by Jayko, with a zero degree package for insulation but the TT in reality is their best Eagle 5th wheel but has the bedroom with out a stairway.
We keep talking about getting a 2nd smaller trailer to pull around the country each year as we use one TT for our winter home and a smaller one would be easier to get into most national parks..... AH but then I rarely even know our big boy is behind the truck and we have been in most weather. It is up to you to have the right TV to make you like any trailer!
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
What I find interesting is that people will try to tow a 9,000 pound bumper pull trailer with a half ton pickup but realize they need a much more capable tow vehicle for a fifth wheel trailer. And they wonder why the fiver tows better?

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of things that I did not see specifically mentioned. First, a travel trailer will put 10-15% of its weight on the tow vehicle while a 5th wheel will put 20-25% on the tow vehicle. This can be somewhat confusing as the tow rating for a given tow vehicle is often greater for a 5th wheel than for a travel trailer. However, a tow vehicle may be under its payload capacity with a travel trailer and over its payload capacity with a 5th wheel of the same weight.

In my experience, many travel trailers are built for the weekend/vacation market. It seems there are more higher quality 5th wheel choices with things like higher R value insulation, dual pane windows, etc. (at a higher price of course).

Size may matter. While travel trailers over 32' box length (the living quarters without the tongue) are becoming more common, I think there are many more models in shorter lengths. Fifth wheels less than 30' seem to be relatively rare.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input everyone. I'm just going to have to go to a dealer and take a look at both.
Brett
'17 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71
2001 Coleman tent :B

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
There are pros and cons both ways. OP's truck would do fine with a fiver up to 12-14k lbs so the FW size isn't much of a limiting factor in the decision. Fifth wheels pull better and provide a shorter overall package, but they take up a lot of the truck bed and tend to cost more. A TT gives you more flexibility with cargo and they have fewer steps, but don't tow as well and they're longer for a given floorplan.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"should be fine"

Should be isn't good enough, Dandy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
I have a 2500 Ram, CC, LB, 5.7 Hemi... tow almost 10,000 and this is the most I would want to tow with that vehicle. Just me and my cocker spaniel. 31'FW. 2013 Ram with towing package.

With the children, IMO, I would look at a Bunk House or a Toy Hauler for the extra space. Making up a dinette or sofa each night and morning would be a hassle for SWMBO... or even if you do that job, still a chore.

My preference is a FW over a travel trailer, but we each have our own preferences.

Good Luck.

Edited by Barb

I towed a 34'5er for over 5 years with a Quad cab LB 5.7 Hemi and did not encounter problems in 20,000 miles Your CTD should be fine with the 10000 GVWR
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think the choice of 5er or TT is truly a personal decision. There is enough support, even on these forums, that both tow equally as well, as long as they are equally hitched with the right hitch system (for both).

The selection of a TT or 5er is based on personal usage and need. The biggest disadvantage of a 5er are steps. The biggest disadvantage of a TT is overall length for the same size of trailer as a 5er.

After that, everything else is splitting hairs about where each person's comfort zone ends.

When selecting a TT or 5er, not only do you have to consider the length of each trailer, but also the height, and of course, your own comfort level towing. A successful tow, still ... all depends upon the proper tow vehicle.

We each select the type of RV we choose, because the advantages of that type of RV outweigh the advantages of a different type. For example, Motor Homes are all complete. No need for hitching and unhitching. But a TT or 5er allows the camper to separate from the tow vehicle, providing freedom to tour areas that are restrictive if you have the full rig.

What you have to do, and only YOU can do it, is determine what type of camping you want to do, what are you really looking for in a trailer, and what floor plan works for you. My choice is just that, my choice. We no longer have young children traveling with us. I need my pick-up for more than just towing a trailer. And I have more than plenty of space at home to store the camper when not in use. I'm getting older and just had a total knee replacement, so the fewer steps I have to deal with, all the better. I don't want a high profile trailer with a lot of wind resistance on the front cap when traveling. I wanted something comfortable for 2 adults only. Something that would run on 30 amps, so I'll never have to struggle with a 50 amp RV and having only 30 amps available in campgrounds. I selected the right tow vehicle, the right weight distribution hitch system, and have never had a problem towing anywhere yet. Yes, I am long, and I've not had problems getting into fuel stations. I choose wisely and plan my entrance and exit routes upon first sight, and sometimes, will select a different fuel station because the situation looks like it jut can't handle 59 1/2 feet of train attempting to squeeze between the pumps.

Taking all these things into account, only YOU can determine what will work for YOU. I highly suggest you visit several RV dealerships, RV shows and . rallies. Ask yourself what your intended purpose is for owning an RV, what kind of camping will you primarily do (dry, full hook-ups, State Parks, RV resorts?), and who will be traveling with you. They should have input also if they are living with you full time.

The only person you need to satisfy, is yourself. We can give opinions, thoughts, suggestions, warnings, our successes and our failures, but in the end, it's really what YOU want.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Well not really!
If you put 100# in the bed of the TV it adds 100# to the TV GVW. If you place that 100# in the basement only a percentage of it goes on the pin, most likely less than 50% of the 100#, even if the basement is half way between the axles and pin, as tandem axles don't act as a true fulcrum.

Dry storage is acheved with a bed cover when not towing, yes the bed is exposed while towing, but you can be dry when not towing.

Everyone has their preference for different reasons, but those that state "You loose the TV bed with a 5er" are incorrect, up to the top of hitch is available, and as stated before lawn chairs, canopies, leveling blocks, BBQ can all be placed in the basement and left between trips.

I have always been a 5er person for the natural stability of the package.

I have towed both kinds of trailers and with a well engineered hitch and adequate tow vehicle, there is not a nickel's worth of difference. With an electric tongue jack, hitching and unhitching requires the same amount of time and effort too. I do like the shorter overall length when parking at Walmart. The extra steps, I can do without.

I carry heavy items like spare tires and seldom used toolboxes at the front of my truck bed which puts some weight on the front suspension and about the same as basement storage does on the rear suspension. I am not concerned with an extra one hundred pounds one place or the other.

The complex framing makes the fifth wheel trailers more expensive per square foot of living space than that of the typical one level travel trailer, but some like to spend more than others on their RV's. Do a search on "Chucking" if one thinks towing a fifth wheel trailer is perfection.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a typical 5er and TT shout out.. I personally have always had TT the one I have now is near 40'. That said I have pulled all over the USA through the mountains through horrible storms and have rarely even felt the TT behind my TV. I have a real problem sleeping "up stairs" in a 5er. It is a death trap for me as at 70 years old I am likely not to survive the drop out the window. I agree with others that I am not giving up the back of my TV and with a floor put in the cap it offers 2 levels of storage. I always have my golf clubs, tools, emergency stuff, and wood projects and have plenty of space for my Costco outings for food and beverage. So bottom line from one who tows a minimum of 14 or 15,000 miles a year, be happy with your choice as it is yours mine is for my TT.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
TomG2 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
.....snip..... One more thing using the basement, reduces the the actual weight carried by the TV.

How much weight do people carry in their basements? Out of five hundred pounds, some of that weight would be felt by the rear suspension of the tow vehicle. And of course, some by the trailer suspension. Weight that is forward of the rear axle in the truck bed is actually carried in part by the front suspension. I don't see the basement weight being a big advantage. Weight is weight.

Well not really!
If you put 100# in the bed of the TV it adds 100# to the TV GVW. If you place that 100# in the basement only a percentage of it goes on the pin, most likely less than 50% of the 100#, even if the basement is half way between the axles and pin, as tandem axles don't act as a true fulcrum.

Dry storage is acheved with a bed cover when not towing, yes the bed is exposed while towing, but you can be dry when not towing.

Everyone has their preference for different reasons, but those that state "You loose the TV bed with a 5er" are incorrect, up to the top of hitch is available, and as stated before lawn chairs, canopies, leveling blocks, BBQ can all be placed in the basement and left between trips.

I have always been a 5er person for the natural stability of the package.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to move this thread but I couldn't decide which forum should get it. I didn't see a bumper pull forum ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox