Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awning cleaner question

tjw0099
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Jaco 34RSBS.

When I rolled out the awning there is mold on it.

I bought some generic cleaner from Walmart supposedly designed for such an issue.

Well, as you can see by this post, it was a waste of money.

Whathe type of cleaner do you find Tobe both effective and safe to use on the awning? I thought of using straight bleach but I don't want to cause damage.

This really irritates me.

Thanks.

Tom
The 2006 Jayco Jayflight
20 REPLIES 20

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning the awning is not the problem, it is the dirt and grime on the roof that seeps into the awning ends.

As suggested I could wash the TT after ever trip to keep the roof clean but that is not likely to happen.

The natural thing for water and dirt to do is it seep into the awning rolls. Anymore I just set back and enjoy the marvels of nature at work; from the shade of my striped awning. 🙂 🙂
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
As I've warned so many times on these forums, when using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, you simply wipe with it wet. Do not scrub. Then dry with a soft cloth or towel. Don't scrub. I've been using it for almost 20 years now on 4 different campers and tents. The secret is a light wipe.

To do the middle, I simply put the eraser on the top of the awning, use my soft brush on a stick and slide it up and down where I can't reach.

My previous TT had a manual awning. I was able to drop the awning like this to VERY easily get to top side. My current one is an electric awning. I can't drop it. I now have the Mr. Clean Eraser mop (on a stick), which is now great!

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
DE88ROX wrote:
I'm a little reluctant to use the Mr Clean Eraser, because its basically a form of very fine sandpaper. I don't like using it on walls, counters etc. Because its basically sanding the stains off. I noticed this one day after the wife used it on some interior walls of our house.. the sun was hitting that area just right and you could see every area where she had used the magic eraser.

Yep and I just don't think it's smart to use something abrasive on an awning since they are probably all coated with an extremely thin UV protection finish layer that you don't want to "scrub" off.

I use 303 both as a cleaner and protectant on my vinyl awning. For real heavy spots I will use Simple Green sparingly.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
rbpru wrote:
There are all sorts of elixirs that will remove mold and dirt.

However my problem is as soon as I roll it up and we have a rain; dirt and water seep into the end of the roll. Then the grime settles to the bottom of each layer and when I unroll it, those lovely bands of grime are there to greet me.

A dry summer is not too bad but a wet spring or fall and I ignore it. I gives just as much shade clean or dirty.

I have the same problem. That's why whenever I return from a trip, I hose of as much as I can, let it dry and roll it up. When I bring the TT home to prep for another outing, thats when I usually give the trailer a nice bath as well as the awning. Everything is nice and clean for camping.

This is EXACTLY why the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works so well. Yes, it take a little effort to use it and clean the awning. But if you take the effort, mold and black DOES not come back. I've made it through several winters now, left outside in Indiana weather, to open in the Spring and it's clean. It might be wet, but it's clean!

Use the eraser in the Sprint and use it again in the Fall. The chemical on the eraser that is left behind will keep mold at bay. But, if it's too much work to do, then the other option is just to deal with reoccurring mold all the time.

How do you reach the middle areas of the awning with the Magic Eraser? some type of wand or something?

I'm a little reluctant to use the Mr Clean Eraser, because its basically a form of very fine sandpaper. I don't like using it on walls, counters etc. Because its basically sanding the stains off. I noticed this one day after the wife used it on some interior walls of our house.. the sun was hitting that area just right and you could see every area where she had used the magic eraser.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
DE88ROX wrote:
rbpru wrote:

However my problem is as soon as I roll it up and we have a rain; dirt and water seep into the end of the roll. Then the grime settles to the bottom of each layer and when I unroll it, those lovely bands of grime are there to greet me.

A dry summer is not too bad but a wet spring or fall and I ignore it. I gives just as much shade clean or dirty.

I have the same problem. That's why whenever I return from a trip, I hose of as much as I can, let it dry and roll it up. When I bring the TT home to prep for another outing, thats when I usually give the trailer a nice bath as well as the awning. Everything is nice and clean for camping.

This is EXACTLY why the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works so well. Yes, it take a little effort to use it and clean the awning. But if you take the effort, mold and black DOES not come back. I've made it through several winters now, left outside in Indiana weather, to open in the Spring and it's clean. It might be wet, but it's clean!

Use the eraser in the Sprint and use it again in the Fall. The chemical on the eraser that is left behind will keep mold at bay. But, if it's too much work to do, then the other option is just to deal with reoccurring mold all the time.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:

Towin_Toys
Explorer
Explorer
I quit having mold issues on my awning when I stared using a cover. If we are not using our RV for 3 weeks or more, the cover goes on. I only put the cover on when the rv is clean and dry. It takes ten minutes or less to cover it......
KMO
'17 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 CC
'18 Northwood Desert Fox Toy Hauler
'16 Polaris RzR 900
'11 KTM 990 Adventure
'06 Softail Deuce 98"
'08 KTM 300 XC-W(e)

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Open the awning and wet it down, spray tilex all over it and roll it up for 30 minutes then unroll and spray it down with water. If its really really bad you may have to do it again. I have never needed to do it more than twice and it will look like new. I dont understand why others use magic erasers etc.. this is by far the easiest way of doing it with no scrubbing involved.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Tilex Mold and mildew. I have tried all kinds of mildew cleaners including stuff from doallar store, fantastic, Mr. Eraser, etc, and those that have some type of bleach in them (even straight bleach and water) and for some reason this stuff works far better.
Just spray the awning down with it, roll it up for two hours and then rinse it clean. Removed the stains other cleaners wouldn't touch that were several years old!

I do the same thing but with Greased Lightning. Although I did just stumble upon Fantastic 5 in 1 with bleach. Used it for the first time in the spring. The awning was trashed with mold and mildew. good soaking with that stuff and it looks brand new.

Roll out the awning and soak it down real good and roll it back up. I then proceed to wash the rest of trailer. I start in the back and by the time I work my way back around to the awning its good to go. hit it with a soft brush and rinse it clean.

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
Tilex Mold and Mildew. Sounds crazy but works great. Spray it on, roll it up. Let sit for five or ten minutes and then open the awning. Spray with clean water and let dry. May need to wipe down some stubborn areas but it works great.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Clorox kitchen cleaner and rinse it a lot.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
This is all you need - sold at Walmart, Lowes, etc. Spray on, let sit, for minutes, rinse. Has not damaged my awning fabric. Use it on the propane cover, and the rubber trim around the pass through storage doors.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

billyde1233
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Tilex Mold and mildew. I have tried all kinds of mildew cleaners including stuff from doallar store, fantastic, Mr. Eraser, etc, and those that have some type of bleach in them (even straight bleach and water) and for some reason this stuff works far better.
Just spray the awning down with it, roll it up for two hours and then rinse it clean. Removed the stains other cleaners wouldn't touch that were several years old!
X1