cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there a high end TT other than Airstream?

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
Kids are grown and I'm getting tired of driving a 40' motorhome. I would love to get an Airstream but the DW loves her slide outs (no explanation given ). Is there a high end or luxury TT that has slides and looks cool like an Airstream?
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s
57 REPLIES 57

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
katoomer wrote:
a simple solid trailer would help.

ORV Creekside 26RLS

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Its been almost 10 years. He had the sealant, I remember water coming in from the cabinets above the sink. Again wood cabinets? Anyway he fixed it, but floor became soft within 4 years.

The beginning of all metal for me.

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the replies. There have been a few mentions of leaks in Airstreams. Where do they leak?
Around the cutouts for equipment? Poor sealant from the factory? As I said before, I'm quite handy and I know they all need repairs. You just have top be pro active and repair before it's too late.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when we had our o4 28 safari we were in a high end park in Maibu. Single guy had a slide on his I think 30footer. It was a rainy period and we had a leak. He helped us solve it and even got on the roof to fix it. I do remember he complained of leaks in his slide.

jorge1958
Explorer
Explorer
I love Airstream Trailers. They are really nice looking. But way to rich for my blood. Plus the wife and I love having a slide out.
2000 Mallard 26E
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
ScottG wrote:

ALso, I don't believe any AS trailers have slides.

Pretty sure I saw 2 AS trailers last week with slides.

One of them was a Safari 2004.

Yep, they were making them with slides in the mid 2000's. I don't think it was a big selling point for people that loved the airstream. I went through one back then and did make it feel a bit more open. They were only a small shallow slide for either a dinette or a sofa.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
My take on this whole deal is, you either want an Airstream, or you don't. They are a niche product ( unique shape, shiney ) and if it appeals to you, then buying something else may well leave you thinking, "I wish I would have tried the A/S".

All of these different RV's have pros and cons. Up to the individual to figure out what works for them.

As to what a buyer is getting when they say "high end", that is a topic of discussion all in it's own. I talk to owners of all sorts of RV's in my travels, from the least expensive to million dollar class A's. From what I've seen and heard, if you think that spending more money is going to mean "more reliable", you may be disappointed.

Reliability and RV'ing don't generally go together. Buy 'em, use 'em, fix 'em, and keep on going to new places. Life is short.

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
katoomer wrote:
Even though we take our rig to a lot of places most people would never consider and on many many twisty narrow roads, I would love to have something smaller. I'm a master carpenter for over 40 yrs but this motorhome always has something that needs to be fixed or serviced. Newmar's may be good quality but it's still built like **** as far as I'm concerned. Looking to simplify my life. A nice new truck and a simple solid trailer would help.

I went from a 2002 36 foot Monaco La Palma class A, bought new, my 3rd class A to a 2016 23 ft. Jayco 23RLSW TT, pulling with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel V6.

Got tired of keeping the class A maintained and looking presentable, my standards are high. It's age was contributing to a lot of maintenance issues,$$$.

Now 1 less motorized chassis to maintain and we make do with less space. Still RV'ing and that's the important thing.

Wife misses the class A but not me.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

ALso, I don't believe any AS trailers have slides.

Pretty sure I saw 2 AS trailers last week with slides.

One of them was a Safari 2004.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Graycat wrote:
katoomer, we've been debating the same issue ourselves for the past few weeks. Someone said to me recently that as long as a manufacturers are pushing them off the assembly line as fast as they can, there are going to be problems.

We thought we had found the perfect trailer with the Artic Fox, and probably would have bought it if one had been on the lot. But the local dealer told us it could be anywhere from 6-12 months to get one and we're not willing to wait that long. And last night, I found this. So while Northwood may have higher building standards than some, they still have problems.

Seriously a 13+ year old unit and you're basing your decision on how someone you don't know took care of a 13+ year old unit. It could've been 2 maybe 3 or 4 owners in that time frame.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
They are making a box you pull down the road at 65 mph. Inside that box is your house. They knock out 25 such units a day so you can have them at a price you can afford.

The internal components are supplies by the same group of suppliers and most draw from the same labor pool.

The higher end models, based on price, in general have more attention paid to detail but they still are built by humans.

Add to this the majority of the buyers are satisfied with there purchases so there is not much incentive to change things.

So the answer to the OPs question is they all make TTs commensurate to their cost.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Graycat
Explorer
Explorer
katoomer, we've been debating the same issue ourselves for the past few weeks. Someone said to me recently that as long as a manufacturers are pushing them off the assembly line as fast as they can, there are going to be problems.

We thought we had found the perfect trailer with the Artic Fox, and probably would have bought it if one had been on the lot. But the local dealer told us it could be anywhere from 6-12 months to get one and we're not willing to wait that long. And last night, I found this. So while Northwood may have higher building standards than some, they still have problems.
Marti, Lee, and an old gray cat

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, just the fact that motorhomes, box trailers, truck campers, and fifth wheels can't stay in their own lanes, and scare the **** out of their owners, in windy conditions, is good reason to keep my Airstream.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
I chose to invest in an Airstream and could not be happier. They are well built and layout and size is perfect for our needs. Not everone appreciates the uniqeness of the product however I do. Good luck with your search. Some good videos on youtube of how they are built at the factory.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD