cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waited too long to get eclipse glasses. Alternatives?

Did the usual thing with the eclipse coming tomorrow that I've done with other stuff.
Waited too long to find suitable eyewear for protection. And its Sunday and places were closed. Everyone around that carried this item is sold out.
We are in a location in Southern BC where we will experience about a 90% viewing of the eclipse. Sure would be nice to be able to view it somehow. I don't have my welding goggles with me so can't use that.
Don't really feel like doing the pinhole in a paper thing either.

Anyone else in the same position?

Any ideas?
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
48 REPLIES 48

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a great site for the Aug. 21 eclipse.

Never too early to think about the next one.

Any suggestions for campsites near the centerline in 2024: Texas - Indiana - Cleveland - Buffalo - Maine?
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two pair of eclipse glasses I would be willing to part with.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Because there are clearly allot of amateur astronomers here interested in more than just an eclipse.

That's one of the reasons we go to Quartzsite: exceptionally dark skies for gazing
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why the asteroid would be very interesting. At best, a small speck in the sky. It is planned to pass 4.4 million miles away, the moon is roughly 240 thousand miles away. It's not coming all that close really. Astronomically speaking yes, but still a long long way.

Best part of the eclipse didn't start until 98% coverage. Hopefully people stay home for the next one. 😉

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I'll put Bruce Willis on standby just in case
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

So when is this hemorrhoid oops I mean asteroid going to be visible?

:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Wife and I are going shopping (now), stores will be empty.

Was sitting in FRY's parking lot while GF ran in to get milk.
Cloudy/overcast skies

Most of the stores employees were outside passing glasses back forth....but not getting to see much due to clouds.

AT the moment of totality (maybe 65% here) clouds parted so I stepped out of truck, flipped my auto darkening hood on and had a good look. Then shared it with employees/other shoppers as they came out of store.
GF came out just in nick of time to catch a glimpse before the cloud cover came back

It was darker from the clouds then the eclipse.
Oh well.........

Next event.....death defying asteroid :B

I was going to use my Miller but the welding goggles were handy (little dusty though).

I'm going to get some coordinates on the asteroid and start observing it. I figure either my Swarvoski bino's or my 60X 100mm ocular spotter will do the trick.

Not sure of the exact trajectory but I heard it will pass between the moon and earth so it should be very visible even to the naked eye. Scary part is if the calculated trajectory is off. The gravitional pull of Earth could impact that. A 2 mile wide rock travelling at over a couple thousand mph would wipe earth out in a second. Space objects impact the atmosphere every day and burn up in the upper atmosphere but this is much, much larger. Has a number designation, no name.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I went shopping, Walmart was empty. I like that. W#e got home and I grabbed my gas welding goggles at 2:38 pm and looked for about 15 seconds and that was enough for me. We had 85% at that time.

Not about to drive a long way to be in a sea of humanity watching an eclipse and then having to deal with the aftermath... traffic and such.

I'm way more interested in the Labor Day asteroid than an eclipse.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
The family and I got lucky right on the line of totality in St Matthews SC. Weather didn't look great upon arrival, but about 30 minutes before 100% totality, the clouds disapated.

What a view! And everyone was so friendly and helpful... Sharing information on available bathrooms and sharing water and snacks. Now we are planning for Vermont 2024 where we have some other family by chanxe
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Wife and I are going shopping (now), stores will be empty.

Was sitting in FRY's parking lot while GF ran in to get milk.
Cloudy/overcast skies

Most of the stores employees were outside passing glasses back forth....but not getting to see much due to clouds.

AT the moment of totality (maybe 65% here) clouds parted so I stepped out of truck, flipped my auto darkening hood on and had a good look. Then shared it with employees/other shoppers as they came out of store.
GF came out just in nick of time to catch a glimpse before the cloud cover came back

It was darker from the clouds then the eclipse.
Oh well.........

Next event.....death defying asteroid :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Go ahead and snap up all the glasses thrown in the trash or wherever and use them on the next eclipse...........you'll have to wait awhile and no doubt go to another location to see it; but this gives you something to plan for and maybe you can take the RV there, who knows?

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
jarata1 wrote:
jwstrout wrote:
Try putting your back to the sun, and using the front facing camera on a smart phone. You should be able to view the eclipse on the phone screen.

Jeff

Are you kidding

Partly cloudy here but the phone worked great using the front camera. And no, it didn't toast the camera as some would have you believe.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Use your smart phone. Simply switch the camera to like you were going to take a selfie and view it on the screen. No glasses needed and the phone will self adjust for the light.

Whatever. Not my phone, yours. It's the CMOS sensor (I think thats what it's called) that will be toast.

Not at all excited about it anyway. More interested in the asteroid that will pass near earth on Labor Day. 2 mile wide chunk of rock is more interesting than an eclipse to me.

Geez, no it didn't wreck the phone. Nor anyone's around me. I took lots of pics before during and after. Phone camera works just fine. However, my pictures left a lot to be desired. I'll just Google the good pics.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Use your smart phone. Simply switch the camera to like you were going to take a selfie and view it on the screen. No glasses needed and the phone will self adjust for the light.

Whatever. Not my phone, yours. It's the CMOS sensor (I think thats what it's called) that will be toast.

Not at all excited about it anyway. More interested in the asteroid that will pass near earth on Labor Day. 2 mile wide chunk of rock is more interesting than an eclipse to me.

Cell phone worked great and got some spectacular pictures. Cant always believe everything you read you know.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains