cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do YOU dump your tanks?

GMoo
Explorer
Explorer
The normal (I think) dumping sequence is open valve black water tank and dump. Close valve black water tank. Open valve grey water tank and dump. Close valve grey water tank.

Here's what I've been doing lately.

Open valve Black water tank and dump.
Open valve Grey water tank (after black tank drains) and dump, leaving the black tank valve open. After draining close both valves.

I don't think there's any problem dumping the grey while the black is still open (after the black finishes draining) is there?

Does it matter?

I just thought the grey water dump might provide some extra cleaning of the black tank exit...
Regards,
Gerry & Sandy
Newbie RVers

2007 K-Z Coyote Sport CS130
Towed by a 2007 Toyota 4Runner
74 REPLIES 74

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
for the rare occasions I use a public dump site, I have a additional gate valve I put on. Then dump the black, close the extra gate valve, open the grey tanks for 30 seconds or so to backflow to the black tank, close the grey valves, open the extra gate valve and let the black flow out again. then close the black, open the grey and let them drain. and then go on my way.

Now, since I have a dump station at home going into the sewer cleanout, much easier. I dump the black, turn on the flusher, close the black till it's almost full, flush and repeat till clean enough, then go on to the grey tanks.

that way the black gets cleaned and no pyramids.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
.... I agree. Dump the black, close valve. Dump grey, close valve. Rinse hose and hands. Roll hose in back of truck and go.

Itโ€™s that simple for me, too. I do add three toilet bowls full of water to BT after emptying, plus the cup of Happy Campers. However, if anyone is behind me in line, I pull forward out of the way to add the water and Happy Campers to the BT. I think it is rude to tie up the dump area doing things that could be done in another area, or at home.

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
I open the black let drain, open the grey let drain. I have never even thought about rinsing. Not really because of holding people up, I just havent done it. I add some water and the blue stuff when I get home.
2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
I use whatever black tank packets are on the shelf when I need to pick some up. They all work on the same principle.

Not the case at all - some are chemical formulations designed to break down tank contents and control odour while others are enzyme based products designed to "eat" that which causes all the odour. The former works immediately, the latter needs time to work, as in weeks.

That's great then. We're covered for both! Not to forget our own solid waste is about 70% bacteria so the process is already under way when we have a seat.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
i dont mind waiting to dump. really, its part of camping. if your in that much of a rush, well, I'm sorry to hear that. i for one will always take the extra 5 minutes to have my wife spray down the toilet with the wand and rinse out the black tank.

that's my preference. i don't camp every weekend and i want that tank as clean as possible while its sitting unused. if someone is waiting we go as quickly as possible.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your black tank is a holding tank, it is not a septic tank where you're going to let things sit for long periods of time while the chemicals break it down. Drain it and be done. Flush it if you want, it's still not going really be any cleaner or smell any better.

If you want to use the product that's your option, but don't worry about leaving the last 1/2" in there, just give the toilet a very long flush and then add the product.

This product is mostly for "city" people who have never built, lived with, or used a septic system.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Mickey_G
Explorer
Explorer
I should have said to Never Fully Drain Your Tanks.
Tank Tech requires you to leave a 1/2" of water in your tanks because the Tank Tech Liquid has active enzimes that destroy the solids and the odor. Every time you dump the tanks, minus the 1/2" of liquid you leave in your tanks, you just add a capfull of Tank Tech Liquid to rejuvenate your tank.
Check them out at: www.tanktechs.com and give me an honest opinion.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use my tanks as designed, holding tanks. They are NOT septic tanks that need magic bacteria to break things down, just simply holding tanks. I don't store anything in my holding tanks other than a bucket of water after dumping with some laundry detergent and softener to help keep them clean (geo method)..

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know how the "never dump your tank" stuff gets rid of the water. ๐Ÿ™‚

Being courteous has little to do with proper tank flushing. It is just as rude to pressure a person into doing a half way job. If you are waiting in line for a dozen others to dump; it is your choice or poor timing to be an stay there.

Personally, I am a dump and go guy, others are more meticulous. That is just life. Either I wait in line or I dump later at my convenience.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
I use whatever black tank packets are on the shelf when I need to pick some up. They all work on the same principle.

Not the case at all - some are chemical formulations designed to break down tank contents and control odour while others are enzyme based products designed to "eat" that which causes all the odour. The former works immediately, the latter needs time to work, as in weeks.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Mickey G wrote:
Has anyone heard of or use the TANK TECH additive?
The company says to NEVER drain your tanks fully.
www.tanktechs.com
They say their additive has enzimes you WANT in your tank.
There are a butt load of additives on the market.
What do you use?

I use whatever black tank packets are on the shelf when I need to pick some up. They all work on the same principle. And, while I let the tanks drain until there's no more obvious flow, I always add a couple of gallons and a packet when we get back home or stop on the road for a pit stop.
I wonder if the OCD members of the clean tanks club also do the colon cleans gimmick doing more harm than good. Nothing beats spotlessly clean innards!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
www.tanktechs.com
What do you use?

I never use any additives. I keep both tanks closed, dump the black, then grey and put a few gallons back in the back. Its just dumping tanks not rocket science. I'm not sure why folks take an easy thing and make it so complicated.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Mickey_G
Explorer
Explorer
???????

Mickey_G
Explorer
Explorer
www.tanktechs.com
What do you use?