cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toilet Keeps Clogging: Macerating Toilet Effective Solution?

MtnMike
Explorer
Explorer
In our 2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS, the Front Toilet Keeps Clogging. We've used various methods to clear the clogs; plunger, plumber's snake, toilet wand, septic-safe chemicals. Once cleared, though, it will clog again within a few days, even with family members claiming that they flush with a lot of water, even flushing twice, when flushing septic-safe and rapidly dissolvable toilet paper. The clogs all appear to occur where the sewage line from the toilet makes a 90 degree turn (or perhaps more than one 90 degree elbow) about 8 feet down the line (based upon how much plumber's snake is worked down when trying to clear the clog). One neighboring rig owner told me his coach uses a macerator toilet and he's never experienced a clog in the year's that he's be living full-time in his rig. An in-line macerator, beneath the toilet, would reduce all flushed items to a slush to easily make the bends in the lines beneath the floor. Is there such a solution, or must I replace the existing Thetford porcelain toilet with one of their macerating models? Do they make a porcelain macerating toilet? Has this solution resolved this constant clogging issue in anyone's experience?
MtnMike
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS Fifth Wheel
2017 Dodge Laramie Longhorn Ram 3500; 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, DRW
20 REPLIES 20

MtnMike
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, NWExplorer.

Thanks for the advice. We like to boondock, but we're lucky enough to have another toilet on board which has never clogged. We could refrain from using the one toilet that clogs regularly now, but if Jayco can't keep it from clogging and we replace it with a macerating toilet, we have another one available.
MtnMike

MtnMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, mad99ram.

Jayco suggested having the dealer from whom we purchased the unit take a look at the plumbing, looking for misaligned elbows. I took it in and they refused to look at the plumbing, wouldn't even look at the toilet, much less the drain lines to the black water tank. They're not too eager to do warranty work, I've discovered. Since they finally acknowledged a slide-out misalignment which they adjusted, they also suggested I bring it back for another adjustment in a few months which should be about the end of the RV season here in Virginia. I will request they look at the drain line on that toilet again, including how deep into tank the toilet drain line runs.
MtnMike

NW_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
We have Tecma macerating toilets in our 5th wheel. We like them, they work very well. They also eliminate the possibility of a pyramid in your black tank. If you like to boondock a lot they might not be practical. With just 2 of us, I need to dump the 50 gallon black tank every 4-5 days.
2016 Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 King bed, bath & a half, Residential fridge, dishwasher, washer & dryer, Fiberglass Roof, MorRyde IS, disc brakes
2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CC 4X4 DRW Cummins 6.7L, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2

Precise_One
Explorer
Explorer
We had a very similar situation with our fifth wheel. We originally blamed our middle daughter, but turned out to be a piece of plastic lodged in the line. The piece eventually flushed through and I was able to see, through a clear plastic elbow, at exterior sewer connection. It took several attempts at flushing using a hose from the inside.
Don't feel bad, I am a mater plumber and I had difficulty figuring this one out.
Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably too much TP along with not enough water to washit all down.

Had a sign in my boat heads for the landlubber. "Don't put anything in the toilet unless you have eaten it first." While not strictly enforced it did make people think before using half a roll of TP.

A macerator is fine but can be extremely noisy. Like an oversized blender gone mad.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
OP- I wonder if tilting your trailer more or less towards the black tank would make a difference?

Might be an interesting test. If it does make a difference, you know that changing your pipe slope will help. If not, you just saved yourself a whole lot of hassle 😉

But- it seems you shouldn't have a problem there no matter what. Is the section from the toilet to the 90 elbow enclosed, or is it something you can move? Might be able to get a more direct route, or use 45's instead of a 90?

We haven't seen a pic yet, which would be a good idea (and easier) than tearing into it. Sometimes what we picture from descriptions isn't exactly what you have 😉

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
MtnMike wrote:
In our 2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS, the Front Toilet Keeps Clogging. We've used various methods to clear the clogs; plunger, plumber's snake, toilet wand, septic-safe chemicals. Once cleared, though, it will clog again within a few days, even with family members claiming that they flush with a lot of water, even flushing twice, when flushing septic-safe and rapidly dissolvable toilet paper. The clogs all appear to occur where the sewage line from the toilet makes a 90 degree turn (or perhaps more than one 90 degree elbow) about 8 feet down the line (based upon how much plumber's snake is worked down when trying to clear the clog). One neighboring rig owner told me his coach uses a macerator toilet and he's never experienced a clog in the year's that he's be living full-time in his rig. An in-line macerator, beneath the toilet, would reduce all flushed items to a slush to easily make the bends in the lines beneath the floor. Is there such a solution, or must I replace the existing Thetford porcelain toilet with one of their macerating models? Do they make a porcelain macerating toilet? Has this solution resolved this constant clogging issue in anyone's experience?

I've seen 45 degree bends in rv sewer lines, but never a 90, and if that is in fact what you have, that is a poor design by Jayco.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Question. Are you leaving the black tank valve open all the time???

Here is the routine I have developed over many snowbird winters.

1. Get a clear sight adapter and put it between the trailer and the sewer hose.
2. I leave the black tank closed for a week at a time. Grey tanks open.
3. I form a pee trap in the sewer hose with a couple boards, one 2x and a 4x4.
4. To dump and flush, I remove the pee trap boards.
5. Close the grey water tanks.
6. Open the black water tank and turn on the hose to the built in flush system.
7. Watch the sight tube until I am down to just hose water coming out.
8. Go inside and do two full bowl super flushes. "Bomb the Pile!" Note: Full bowl means filling the bowl to the bottom of the upper rim.
9. Go back outside and view discharge.
10. Close the black water tank and run the flush water in for four(4) minutes. Do not let anyone distract you at this point.
11. Open and drain and repeat 10 again.
12. Flush a bit and verify that you have nice clear water coming out of the tank. If not go back to step 8 and start again.
13. When you have nice clear discharge, put the pee trap boards back the sewer line and fill the pee trap.
14. Close the black water tank and add about a minute worth of water to the tank with the flush hose.
15. Secure the flush hose. I have a little inline valve adapter at the side of the trailer and the other end gets turned off.
16. Open the grey water tanks and go add your chemical to the tank.

I have had the burping a couple of times, however the super flushes seem to have fixed that issue.

Having piles in not good!!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
I had a brand new Designer back in 2006. The toilet kept clogging. The problem was that the discharge line from the toilet was pushed to within 1 inch from the bottom of the tank. Not enough room for TP and solids to flow into the tank. Had the line reset properly and didn't have a problem after that Just food for thought

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I have a buddy who won't let his family go #2 in theirs, same deal with the 90 degree turn in a weird place, looking at mine it looks like a straight run to the black tank so never had a problem so far.

My buddy though carries the same tools you do and hates to deal with them if needed.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Many MH's have them. Our HR included. Check out the Techma series from Thetford.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My only experience with a macerator is in the toilet on our houseboat. And it works very well. As long as no one puts something down it that shouldn't go in the toilet. Than you are back to playing plumber. 😞
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
"90 degree elbow and 8' of pipe" I don't see how that configuration could possibly work no matter how much or how little TP is used. It wold take a ton of water, like a residential toilet uses, to keep things moving to the tank.

newman fulltimer wrote:
to much tp is being used at once

X2 ^^^^^^

First RV ?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet