cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reflectix over the skylight

Dewclaw
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are home from a trip to the midwest. On this trip I used a piece of Reflectix over the top of the skylight, secured with small binder clips to the skylight hatch edge, when were were camped longer than overnight. It was easy to attach and remove by opening the hatch and standing on the bed. I wish that I'd thought of it years ago. It made a terrific difference in keeping the bunk cool.
2008 Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic SE
2007 GMC 2500HD
16 REPLIES 16

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic Fan also has the option of having a dark smoke colored, double pane dome, instead of the clear acrylic one. Combine that with a dark vent cover and very little light or heat comes in during the day, even when open.

Still insulate this during winter to retain more heat in the TC and avoid the condensation from dripping on you.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
I had the dealer call Lance and ask about replacing the hot thing with the fantastic fan and they said sure.I would not have ordered a Lance or any other camper with that very hot thing ever again that was in 2011.
Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.

Dewclaw
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like to have something in the skylight blocking the sun most of the time but don't want to chance damaging the plastic skylight. The instructions warn against closing the shade fully in sunlight because of heat buildup so I went with the outside cover. The two foot wide piece of Reflectix covers near all of the skylight and gets rid of the solar cooker effect so that I can flop down in the bunk in the middle of the day in comfort. I use four tiny binder clips on each side and flip the little handles up against the plastic so that they won't interfere with clearance under the hatch.

It's only a small bit of trouble to put in place and remove, and the best I've been able to come up with so far. I much prefer the metal hatches on my previous campers, but that's the way this one was built.
2008 Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic SE
2007 GMC 2500HD

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
For people that block their roof vents, if you are concerned about heat build up open the skylight before you put in your pillow or reflectex.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned up and sprayed the outside of the bathroom skylight with White Krylon Spray Paint for plastic. Looks great and greatly reduced the heat load. I tried using reflectic on the inside prior to painting but wasn't happy with the results. The white paint seems to work for heat reduction.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
I wonder how well a solar reflective paint would work?

I've considered doing this to the outside of the skylight in our bath. This time of year is horrendous. It lets in an enormous amount of heat. Reflectix stuffed up inside has helped some, but still, it's gets hot.

I don't really care about letting in light. With all LED lighting, the skylight really only serves as headspace while standing.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 14" square throw pillow and just stuff it in opening from inside
Blocks out sunlight and the heat PLUS I can use it to prop up my head in bed for reading :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree not a good idea to trap heat in the skylights. You can also damage double pane windows that way. On the inside, reflectix would concentrate the heat.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
I sprayed mine with white Plasti Dip, I can remove it for winter or leave it, it has approx. 4 year life span. I like narcodog's idea of the aluminum furnace duct insulation, I have some in my garage, I might run a test to make sure it is removable without leaving a mark.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

Bedlam
Gary3 wrote:
It makes a difference putting it outside as long as it stays there,we did it both ways but when we ordered the new camper they put a fantastic fan up there instead much better fix.

I didn't know Lance was willing to do that - My Host also has a Fantastic Fan instead of the Heki. I heard people were damaging their skylights by trapping the heat in the underside with reflective covers. The only safe way seems to be a cover over the outside of the skylight.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

wyocowboy00
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking for a solution for covering the skylight too, but was hesitant because I was afraid it might deteriorate the plastic in the skylight.
2012 Chev. Silverado 3500HD DRW 4 X 4
2013 Arctic Fox 992 240 watts solar
Jerry & Judy

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I just have a piece of 3/4" foam board that fits snug in the opening. Put a piece of tape on the top side letting it hang a little down one of the edges so it's easy to grab and pull the foam out. Easy to pop it in and out as required from inside the camper without having to open anything.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a/c duct works insulation. It's sticky on one side and aluminum on the other. It's been on there for years.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how well a solar reflective paint would work?
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!