cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone notice.........

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Saw ad on tv over the weekend for Chevy's '18 Silverado all clad in black. At 1st I thought it was for Ford as the grill clad had shape of the oval (this is that part for title topic). Then when the rear bumper steps and metal floor came out, knew then it was for GM. Isn't GM however going over to alum body?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
21 REPLIES 21

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Well there is a big difference between extruded and stamped aluminum. Aluminum has it's place but the inside and floor of a pickup bed is not one of them!

Ford made a big mistake in making their truck beds out of aluminum and in true Ford form they will never admit it. Ram will be using a lot more aluminum in our trucks for the next generation, just not in the bed!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
joshuajim wrote:
steve-n-vicki wrote:
If aluminum is such an inferior material , Why is the new corvette frame made out of it
Ya haul a lot of block in that 'vette? :B
I'm pretty sure the Corvette is only made to haul a$$.

:B now THAT was funny

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
steve-n-vicki wrote:
If aluminum is such an inferior material , Why is the new corvette frame made out of it
I'm pretty sure the Corvette is only made to haul a$$.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
steve-n-vicki wrote:

RVing since 1995.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Its all just advertising hype anyway. Any gimmick to sell more product.

^^This^^. Just like all the BS cameras and back-up assist for the millenial crowd that never learned how to drive a truck. And people wonder why these trucks are approaching six figures.

At 67 years of age I'm FAR from being a millinial! I learned how to drive in 1966 in a Chevy pickup, 3 speed on the column. Used mirrors all my driving career, but as I stated earlier when backing up the last foot or so to a trailer or a 5th wheel, I don't really need a spotter.. I easily can do it by myself.. I did it before at times all by myself, but those cameras have made it an easier job.. I've been driving trucks on and off over the last 51 years. So I learned the hard way and cameras just in the last couple years on my truck have made it easier. At 67, I think I deserve that, without being called a maggot sucking millinial:R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

^^This^^. Just like all the BS cameras and back-up assist for the millenial crowd that never learned how to drive a truck. And people wonder why these trucks are approaching six figures.

Absolutely. Things were so much better before power brakes power steering power locks air conditioning anti lock brakes air bags etc.

We should go back to the good ole days.

Anyone know of a good buggy whip company?
:R
My point was the stupid commercial's like trying to hide a Chevy in a Ford wrapper and really what difference does the bed material make. I never said some changes were not good.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I personally like the back up cameras and cargo cameras. They DO make it easier hooking up to Trailers and 5th wheels, AND they work.

JIM
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

Absolutely. Things were so much better before power brakes power steering power locks air conditioning anti lock brakes air bags etc.

We should go back to the good ole days.

Anyone know of a good buggy whip company?
:R
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
Haha, aluminum doesn't corrode.... I've spec'ed new fire trucks for 20 years - choose your poison red rust or white! Aluminum frames and bodies corrode just like steel. It's easier to wire brush prime and paint steel. but, the truck will be 300 lbs heavier.

I just lifted the bed off my 2008 2500 HD long bed - couldn't have weighed more than 300 lbs! How much lighter could an aluminum bed be?

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I love it because Ford owners say Al. won't corrode. Right! Take a look at old airplane parts that have never been exposed to salt. They still corrode.

blt2ski
Been awhile since I put a sheet of plywood in the.bed of my.trucks. Usually a stay in liner, Bed liner before spray ins. Plywood be for.that......that takes me back to before 1980!

I've used my trucks in construction, loading pallets of bricks, pavers, loading multiple loads of rock, soil and munches daily, along with.yard debris for rigs doing maintenance. Plywood makes it harder to clean the bed, and if you haul like I do, does not last but a month!

ALL bed type materials have plus and minuses, you have to choose what will be best for you.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
steve-n-vicki wrote:

Desperate attempt to try to keep up with Porsche? :B

GM is differentiating materials for the bed. Nothing else. I agree with them on that part.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010