cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Van as a TV

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
so we're still discussing a new TV to replace our rather underpowered but otherwise great V6 dodge Dakota

looked at a few pickups, 1/2 ton size with small V8 or high powered V6(ecoboost for example)

but why not a van? says my wife, a "small" full sized van

much larger inside than a pickup, more security inside than the bed of a PU, no topper or cover needed for the bed

surely a nicely appointed van with seats for 4 or 5 would make a far better vacation vehicle than a PU

are we missing something? I use a van for work (carpenter) all the time, most trades people I know, love their work vans
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
15 REPLIES 15

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Vans can be great for large families. For families with 5 or less people a truck is a much more versatile vehicle, though, and most families have 5 or less people. Back in the day crew cab trucks weren't so common so families would often have to use other options like vans.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
the diesel transit certainly looks interesting, the "cool looking" factor of a pickup fades fast in the face of a truly spacious capable van!
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I remember being a kid in the 70s. Prior to the SUV obsession, it was common to go for a bike ride in a campground, and notice that a pretty significant percentage of the tow vehicles were vans. I have owned, and driven a few with my business, and they can be pretty addictive to own. Once you get used to where all the corners are, you really appreciate the short nose, maneuverability, and a huge, dry, secure storage area.

Sadly, I think a whole lot of families are currently passing up on great tow vehicles, since they just are not "cool enough" for many fashion obsessed folks today. Better to be driving an Escalade or King Ranch, since it impressive, that a lightly used van, that costs a third as much, as does a better job. Last fall we hit a state park camground during a big gathering from one of the local mega- churches. There were 50-60 families there, most with at least four kids. The majority of the families had full sized window vans, and older pop-up campers. Many of the vans were from a local used truck dealer who specializes in window vans for churches, and big families. This is a place where you can get a nearly new tow vehicle for less that a small, new, stripped out mini-SUV. It looked a lot like how things were while camping in the 1970's. Not a single young family with a $40K 35' trailer they use a few times a year, Pulled by a $70K Diesel truck they should of never bought in the first place, since together, both of these choices come with a $1000+ a month mortgage, on depreciating, needless toys.

WA4HTZ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the links to the towing guides. I will probably be interested in the cargo van so we can put two cats in carriers, bikes, chairs, etc. in the van. It's interesting the 5 cyl. diesel is rated to tow more than the 3.5L turbo motor.

Ken
Ken and Jeannette
2015 FunFinder 266KIRB - Traded in
2006 Ford F-250 "Super" Cab Long Bed - Traded in

2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
WA4HTZ wrote:
Bryan, does Ford still have all the specs for the all different combinations of Transit they sell on their website? When the Transit first replaced the E-series, I found a page with all of the length, height, drive train, and weight specs for all the combinations offered at that time. I printed it out and have it somewhere but after moving I haven't seen it. I recently tried to find that information again and had no luck. If it's available, where do I look?

Ken

2017 Transit Spec

Ford Towing Guide

Keep in mind the Transit's Tow Ratings are different from all trucks and SUVs. Ford rates the vans with a full passenger load. Helpful if you're shopping by seating capacity. If you won't be filling every seat, its best to compare by GCWR. The T350 doesn't actually tow less than the T150, unless you fill every seat.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

WA4HTZ
Explorer
Explorer
Bryan, does Ford still have all the specs for the all different combinations of Transit they sell on their website? When the Transit first replaced the E-series, I found a page with all of the length, height, drive train, and weight specs for all the combinations offered at that time. I printed it out and have it somewhere but after moving I haven't seen it. I recently tried to find that information again and had no luck. If it's available, where do I look? I recently rented a low height, short wheel base 250 to move some furniture and agree it is light years ahead of the POS truck in my signature. Any guidance you could give me would be greatly appreciated. If anyone else had information on the Transits, please chime in.

Thank you.

Ken
Ken and Jeannette
2015 FunFinder 266KIRB - Traded in
2006 Ford F-250 "Super" Cab Long Bed - Traded in

2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
A 3/4 ton or 1 ton van...Econoline or GM are great tow vehicles. They are first and foremost designed primarily as commercial vehicles, to work day in, day out with little down time. They are tough, more than proven to handle heavily loaded (within ratings) situations.

We used a rear wheel drive van for a number of years to tow. The towing ability was great, the baggage capacity was phenomenal, our family was comfortable.

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Absolute best kept secret in towing, when properly matched and setup. Still pulling with my old-school '95 Club Wagon Chateau package.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
We used our '98 E150 to tow a pop up for many years. Towed like "it wasn't even there", even with the smaller V8 (4.6L). After about 10 years, the springs sagged enough that we added an extra leaf.

The only real "small" full size van is the Ford Transit, low roof and regular wheel base. What ever you do, make certain to get the HD trailer tow option. If you are camping in Canada/northern US you probably do not need the rear A/C option. I highly recommend the heaviest tinted rear windows,

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
We use a 12 passenger van to tow our trailer. Great deal buying off rental vehicles. Much better for kids and dogs. Also easy for my daughter to go get 2 goats. Took out the seats and put in large dog crates. Also makes great day trip vehicle!
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Vans area great! If you're using a Dakota now, a Transit EcoBoost would probably be a god fit for what you're towing. It's not suitable for heavier trailers (max tailer 7,500 pounds) but is by far the best driving full size van, and is available in a short-wheelbase low-roof model, which is barely bigger than an Astro van.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Followed a guy in a Nissan NV van towing a 25'+/- Airstream. I passed him up a passing lane. When I looked in the rear side mirror you could see the NV and a small silhouette of the AS behind it. Looked like a perfect match.

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
so we're still discussing a new TV to replace our rather underpowered but otherwise great V6 dodge Dakota

looked at a few pickups, 1/2 ton size with small V8 or high powered V6(ecoboost for example)

but why not a van? says my wife, a "small" full sized van

much larger inside than a pickup, more security inside than the bed of a PU, no topper or cover needed for the bed

surely a nicely appointed van with seats for 4 or 5 would make a far better vacation vehicle than a PU

are we missing something? I use a van for work (carpenter) all the time, most trades people I know, love their work vans

Vans can make excellent tow vehicles. In fact when I see someone wanting to load up a SUV with kids, dogs, kayaks, bicycles, etc and then hook on a TT I always think they would have been better served with a 2500-3500 series van.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Used to have a 97 Dodge conv van with the 5.9 and 3.90 gears. It towed our 6500lb loaded TT with no issues. Just don't get a loaded, leather hightop conv van. That will eat up quite a bit of payload. Unless you get a passenger van, Stick with a basic standard height conv van.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!