cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

diesel warm up question

sidewayzz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question, after doing some reading in the manual and online. How long should you let the engine warm before pulling the camper? This is my first diesel. Its a 5.9 cummins. I have been told wait until the temp is above 140.Would like to hear from you guys who actually tow. Thanks in advance.
2006 dodge ram 2500
forest river heritage glen
wife and three kids
22 REPLIES 22

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Start your engine, when oil pressure is reached, its ready to drive. If you feel the need to idle, engage the high idle feature. 800 to 1,000 RPM is better for your engine than a dead idle.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:
If your truck doesn't have the High Idle option turned on, have the dealership do that modification. When it was really cold and the truck sat outside, I plugged it in and then kicked on the High Idle feature.

X-2
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
Idling is NOT good for modern day diesels.....raw fuel washing cylinder walls. That is BS. True excessive idling not needed. When it's hot I will let mine idle as long as Im the store which might be 30 min or more. As for cooling off it can take 30 sec or several min. that's why you need a pyo gage or turbo saver

I agree. The fuel ratio is so lean at idle.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Idling is NOT good for modern day diesels.....raw fuel washing cylinder walls. That is BS. True excessive idling not needed. When it's hot I will let mine idle as long as Im the store which might be 30 min or more. As for cooling off it can take 30 sec or several min. that's why you need a pyo gage or turbo saver
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

joelm
Explorer
Explorer
Start it and go. Just drive it easy for the first bit. It's not only your engine that needs to warm up. It's every piece in your truck. I see people all the time warm the engine to operating temp and then take off like they are in a race.

sidewayzz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. This is my first diesel. It's a 06 with the 5.9. Will be taking some long trips over the next few weeks.
2006 dodge ram 2500
wife and three kids

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2007 with the 5.9L and towed FT for 7 yrs

If temps are below 65*F the grid heaters will show in dash
Turn key on and let grid heaters function.....then when symbol disappears start engine.
IF really cold then cycle grid heaters couple times then start engine

That hunk of iron will NOT warm up at idle....not enough fuel/heat happening
So start it and then drive it.
IF you have an exhaust brake use it for faster warm ups

Cool down....
Hard pull then parking let it idle for couple minutes
But most times..by the time you pull off, drive slowly to rest area, to campground etc. it will already have cooled down enough to turn it off.

Idling is NOT good for modern day diesels.....raw fuel washing cylinder walls.
Excessive idling is just not needed.

IF you need to idle use the high idle
High idle feature....truck in park/neutral, parking brake set, cruise control ON
Idle will increase to 1100 rpm.....use ACEL button to increase
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
While I lack your particular truck, I've had three diesels since 2001, and all of them warm up very poorly while idling. In addition, all three have turbos that rely on air pressure to maintain oil seal integrity and thus are highly recommended not be left idling for extended periods. All three owners manuals say start them and drive off to warm up. Needless to say, easy on the throttle until they do warm up. In any case for any engine, the first 15-30 seconds after a cold start will see oil still trying to reach distant points in the engine. After a cold start, a few seconds checking seat belts, mirrors, etc should be plenty.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I warm mine up till everybody moves up wind from my idling, then put it in gear ๐Ÿ™‚ Ok kidding...

In gear when oil (and air if you have any) are up. I use EGT gauge to shut off around 450. If parked over a week, I have to idle in neutral for about 30 seconds to get trans to work. Newer stuff doesn't have that worry.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
In normal temps above 45 I start my truck and turn the exhaust brake on, give it about 45 seconds and go. Time for proper oil circulation is key.
I don't build more than 10 lbs of boost until the head and block are up to temperature. That kills head gaskets.
I let my egts cool to under 400 degrees before shutting it off.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a diesel T.V. but when cool/ cold I let my tractor warm up until the gauge reads at least 130 or so , in the summer I let it idle for about 5 min or so.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
If your truck doesn't have the High Idle option turned on, have the dealership do that modification. When it was really cold and the truck sat outside, I plugged it in and then kicked on the High Idle feature.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Idling time with a DEF system is bad news for the filter. Once you get off the freeway and make a few stops it will be cooled down according to Cummins.

No warm up. Just drive easy for a couple of minutes if possible.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

sidewayzz
Explorer
Explorer
on the cool down,lets say you just come in off road and sit at several stop lights,or at the campground just driving slow to get to your campsite and backing in etc,that should be enough time?
2006 dodge ram 2500
wife and three kids