Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Who Loves their Coachmen Clipper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

 > Who Loves their Coachmen Clipper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mtnman1989

Collettsville, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2005

View Profile



Posted: 08/31/17 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have always had a Class A motorhome and a Travel Trailer. We have had several different Trailers over the years. Last year we sold our 2010 TT and decided to just buy a brand new TT and bought the Coachmen Clipper model 17FQ and we love it! I had to replace the shower head and that's it. We have enjoyed this trailer more than any other TT we have owned. We bought this lite weight trailer just so we could tow in the mountain elevations of NC, TN, WV, VA and KY. I tow with a Toyota Tundra hauling two motorcycles and it is just awesome. The large tanks are a real plus for a small TT, we can go a week without dumping or taking on more water. Set up is a breeze since the TT is so lite.

I met a retired couple last week camping in a Clipper just like mine. I ask him how he liked it and he shared his thoughts. He said the same thing I said. He stated he also had a larger RV but love traveling long distances in the clipper a lot. He has taken his clipper to Alaska, Canada and Nova Scotia on two separate trips with no issues.

Who else owns and loves their Clipper?

padre1944

Clarksville, TN

New Member

Joined: 04/05/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/01/17 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought one after a 30 ft. class A and soon found it way too small. Now have a 38 ft. 5th wheel.

mtnman1989

Collettsville, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2005

View Profile



Posted: 09/01/17 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I might mention that we usually ride our 250cc dual sport motorcycles almost daily. We spend very little time inside the Clipper or Class A other than to sleep, shower, eat or plan our next trip. I am 70 and wife is 62. We almost always dry camp without hookups as well.

We usually go to a US Forest Service cg and stay a week or so adventure riding the Forest roads in the area. Then we load back up and travel to another area or a different US Forest Service and start all over again. I never have to worry about finding a site for the Clipper's size.

JCR-1

Crystal River, Florida

Full Member

Joined: 09/30/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/02/17 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 17fq as well. I had axle problems..Kept wearing out tires on the inside. Found out it had lost its camber. I had to replace the axle at my own expense. Not much help from Coachman on that. The axle rating and weight of the camper is close..not much room for safety built in.Otherwise not a bad trailer for occasional camping.

mtnman1989

Collettsville, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2005

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/17 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JCR-1,
You are right, they have a 3500 pound single axle and the trailers dry weight is at 2900 pounds. 500 to 600 pounds is all you can load into them. We live 10 miles down a mountain dirt so my trailer gets at least 20 miles of rough dirt road each trip. It is holding up well.

GWolfe

Kansas

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2007

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/17 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on my second Clipper, my first one was a 16B and the bunk bed was just too small for me, loved it other than that. Sold it and picked up a 17RD and am very happy. They are great little trailers for what they are, entry level and light weight. What drew me to Clipper was the larger that most fresh water tank and holding tanks and the 13,500 BTU roof air. I upgraded the 13" tires to 15" just to have a little cushion on the load rating.

I would buy another Coachmen without giving it a second thought.


2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado


JCR-1

Crystal River, Florida

Full Member

Joined: 09/30/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/03/17 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GWolfe wrote:

I'm on my second Clipper, my first one was a 16B and the bunk bed was just too small for me, loved it other than that. Sold it and picked up a 17RD and am very happy. They are great little trailers for what they are, entry level and light weight. What drew me to Clipper was the larger that most fresh water tank and holding tanks and the 13,500 BTU roof air. I upgraded the 13" tires to 15" just to have a little cushion on the load rating.

I would buy another Coachmen without giving it a second thought.


How did you upgrade the tires to 15 inch without hitting the wheel well. What size tires ??

RandomAbstract

Minneapolis, MN

New Member

Joined: 08/17/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/04/17 02:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Clipper 17FQ and have the same question.


LeRoy & Alessandra

GWolfe

Kansas

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2007

View Profile



Posted: 09/13/17 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JCR-1 wrote:

GWolfe wrote:

I'm on my second Clipper, my first one was a 16B and the bunk bed was just too small for me, loved it other than that. Sold it and picked up a 17RD and am very happy. They are great little trailers for what they are, entry level and light weight. What drew me to Clipper was the larger that most fresh water tank and holding tanks and the 13,500 BTU roof air. I upgraded the 13" tires to 15" just to have a little cushion on the load rating.

I would buy another Coachmen without giving it a second thought.


How did you upgrade the tires to 15 inch without hitting the wheel well. What size tires ??


I was inspired by a gentleman on a different forum that had a 17FQ and upgraded to 15" with no clearance problems so I bit the bullet and did the same. I put 205-75/15 Goodyear Endurance tires on and have been nothing but pleased. The load rating is 2040 lbs which is a nice upgrade from the 13" ones that came on my camper. Clearance hasn't been an issue and I've been down some pretty rough roads.

danimal53

Chicago, IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/14/17 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GWolfe wrote:

JCR-1 wrote:

GWolfe wrote:

I'm on my second Clipper, my first one was a 16B and the bunk bed was just too small for me, loved it other than that. Sold it and picked up a 17RD and am very happy. They are great little trailers for what they are, entry level and light weight. What drew me to Clipper was the larger that most fresh water tank and holding tanks and the 13,500 BTU roof air. I upgraded the 13" tires to 15" just to have a little cushion on the load rating.

I would buy another Coachmen without giving it a second thought.


How did you upgrade the tires to 15 inch without hitting the wheel well. What size tires ??


I was inspired by a gentleman on a different forum that had a 17FQ and upgraded to 15" with no clearance problems so I bit the bullet and did the same. I put 205-75/15 Goodyear Endurance tires on and have been nothing but pleased. The load rating is 2040 lbs which is a nice upgrade from the 13" ones that came on my camper. Clearance hasn't been an issue and I've been down some pretty rough roads.


curious what that tire/wheel upgrade cost? i just bought new tires for my Clipper 17BH, and just went with the same size as stock. kind of wish i upgraded to a higher load rating, wish I had seen this a week ago!


2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

 > Who Loves their Coachmen Clipper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS