cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drivers side mirror loose

jdavidsmi
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 Fleetwood Terra 31H, with 54000 miles v-10. On the way home from Florida last month, I notice the drivers side mirror was vibrating, but the passengers side was not. When we stopped for fuel I checked it out, I was able to pull 3 of the 4 mounting screws out without turning them. I had some hollow wall anchors with me and was able to get 3 in and to tighten. and come on home. I have not had much time to investigate but what I have found has me worried.

I believe there was a large block of wood mounted between the walls when the coach was built, and over the years it has rotted away. This area is between the front cap and the drivers window. when I was looking at it yesterday I saw a small bubble under the vinyl wall covering on the inside. so I'm guessing water got in.

Without damaging the exterior fiberglass what would be the best way to repair?

A couple of things come to mind. inject epoxy that will fill the space and harden, open up the interior wall and replace the wood. Are there other ways that would make the repairs?

Thanks in advance
David
2004 Fleetwood Terra 31H (no slides) F53 with V-10
16 REPLIES 16

jdavidsmi
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to give an update on my leak issue, I believe I have found and fixed it. It was the gasket around the window even though it looked good it was not sealed to the fiberglass and when the water ran down the side, of course it found a way in. I replace the rubber gasket with bulla tape and new caulking, I have been running/spraying water over the roof and side every day for a week and have not found any water inside. so now I start putting it back together. And I hope I took enough pictures to help me get it right.

Still have not figured out how to get the paneling in beside the dash.

David

jdavidsmi
Explorer
Explorer
first off thanks for the help, yesterday morning I got the window cleaned up and reinstalled. it sure was difficult to get the silicone off the window frame and fiberglass. Butyl tape went on easy enough and appeared to fill the gap between the window frame and coach. I applied a bead of caulking around the frame.

We had a couple of rain storms last night and I have not been out this morning to check, I really hope the window got it.

I also pulled each of the clearance lights down and rechecked, I could not see any issue with any of them.

I have everything ready to go back in as soon as im sure i have got the leak stopped.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
Particularly if you were angled front down slightly, water might be able to leak in some distance back and travel forward before working its way down, depending somewhat on the exact roof edge construction. Water doesn't flow uphill as readily, of course.

Also check the clearance lights; they're a not infrequent source of angst.
I had the same problem and could not find the leak anywhere. Pulled window and resealed, re caulked front cap, clearance lights and roof several times in a year and finally found a small seepage on the vertical seal of the front cap and sidewall. I put my wife's vacuum cleaner to blow mode and blew air in that area and saw water bubbles coming from 30 ft away in the rear channel that attaches the roof to the side wall. Water was running down that channel all the way to the front because my driveway was sloped forward. After sealing I added a piece of 3/4 in oak to the inside wall and secured the mirror with 4 lag screws.

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds as if the OP is being very methodical about seeking out any and all points of possible water intrusion and has various ways of reattaching the mirror that will be satisfactory. From my experience, I would expect the window seal(s) to be the most likely place, but resealing the various other points while working on the problem is simply good practice.

I would also make sure when reinstalling the mirror itself that I used the sealing tape mentioned for the window reseal and also apply caulking/sealer around the mirror base and screws.

As always, simply my opinions and ramblings. Use the information as desired, and good luck.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
jdavidsmi wrote:
Dutch 12078; I had not pulled the window out but, it's out now; there was a thin 1/8"x 1/2" rubber gasket around the window and in the corners it was hardly in contact with the fiberglass, the guy at our local RV shop had never seen this type of gasket. I got a roll of regular window sealant tape, I will put it back in tomorrow. Just don't have the stamina I did.

Our current coach has similar rubber gaskets on the Hehr windows, and they do dry out and sometimes crack with age. Butyl tape works fine for resealing them. Oh, and at 75, I know all about that loss of stamina thing... 😉
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
jdavidsmi wrote:
Dutch 12078; I had not pulled the window out but, it's out now; there was a thin 1/8"x 1/2" rubber gasket around the window and in the corners it was hardly in contact with the fiberglass, the guy at our local RV shop had never seen this type of gasket. I got a roll of regular window sealant tape, I will put it back in tomorrow. Just don't have the stamina I did.

Richard: I don't know where a toggle bolt may be located?

DrewE: I have replace all the clearance lights with new ones and new gaskets. but that does not mean one is not leaking. I will re-pull them out and recheck, maybe recaulk the holes where the wires and screws go through.

I have also rechecked my ceiling and I don't see any stains or feel anything wet.

I was suggesting that a toggle bolt might be used instead of a screw to reattach the mirror.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem mirror was pulling away and bouncing around when driving. I did see there was a gap between mirror and fiberglass.When I pulled mirror off the wood in wall was wet and rotted. So i busted up all the wood i could from mirror hole till it was somewhat solid. The let the area dry and helped it with a heat gun. Then I put wood shims in the hole area and then put expanding foam in let dry and trimmed it. Then put adhesive on mirror edge places anchors in holes and screwed it in.Then sealed outside of mirror. Seems to be holding fine and does not move.
2007 Damon Daybreak 35.4ft Class A
2001 Georgie Boy 31ft Class C
2003 Coachman Auroa Gold Class A
1995 Coachman Santara Class C
2000 Coachman Pop-up
1988 Dodge Ram Conversion Van

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
This happened to me. I tore that section under the window all out and rebuilt it from the inside out. Original fiberglass still in place. That section is now very solid. Original owner used bolts and metal plates to keep mirror in place and I was too stupid to realize the wall was shot. In the end, it was a bunch of work but you would never know.

jdavidsmi
Explorer
Explorer

Richard: I don't know where a toggle bolt may be located?

DrewE: I have replace all the clearance lights with new ones and new gaskets. but that does not mean one is not leaking. I will re-pull them out and recheck, maybe recaulk the holes where the wires and screws go through.

I have also rechecked my ceiling and I don't see any stains or feel anything wet.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Particularly if you were angled front down slightly, water might be able to leak in some distance back and travel forward before working its way down, depending somewhat on the exact roof edge construction. Water doesn't flow uphill as readily, of course.

Also check the clearance lights; they're a not infrequent source of angst.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Toggle Bolt?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned removing the window trim, but did you pull the window and reseal around it? A quick test would be to temporarily seal the window with vinyl or duct tape, and then hit it with the hose to see if you still have a leak.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jdavidsmi
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a very rough winter and spring, health wise. Anyway a week ago I resolved to get to the bottom of the mirror issue. I removed the mirror, 3 of the 4 screws just fell out. On this motor home the mirror is mounted on the side, just in front and below the drivers side window. I removed the inter trim from around the window and pulled away some of the paneling, everything was wet from the front corner of the the window to the floor and the plywood that the mirror was mounted too was mush. what a mess. After I got it cleaned up I found the metal frame work is in very good condition, got it cleaned up and painted.
I have been looking for this leak for two weeks and it had so far eluded me. Sprayed water with the hose, and it may or may not leak. but yesterday we had a rain storm with wind and boy did it leak.

Motor Home is on its jacks and level, roof is rubber and 6 years old, AC was replaced 3 years ago. The front cap seam looks to be in good condition, and the seal around the radio antenna is intact.
I re caulked the exterior of the window and the gutter down spout.

Any Ideas of something I might have missed?

schwartzworld
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't write it off. Take the mirror off and inspect the wood carefully and completely. Not all all mirror failures are due to leaks. Look at where the mirror is mounted. Out in the open getting blasted by the wind and every passing truck makes it worse. They get beat up out there. The manufacturers don't know how to install them, they should have a metal plate behind or in the wall for the mirror to attach to. My RV is 2 years old and my mirror decide to come loose. There was no backing behind it, wood or metal. The screws just pulled out of the wood. My only fix was doing the same thing they did, I dropped the mirror about and inch and ran new stainless steel screws right into the sidewall. Hopefully it will last longer than 2 years, what I think added to the failure was the cheap screws they used, make sure you use stainless steel.