cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with flipping axles

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I know a lot of you toy hauler guys have raised there trailers by flipping axles or building up the spring blocks.
Can somebody please recommend and good place to take my trailer to have this done in the Riverside Ca. area?
I just got a 2017 Ford F350 and it's a lot taller than my 2008. I'm not sure I can even back under it with the way the trailer is now at level.
Its crazy how high these new trucks are.

Thanks for any help.
Joe A
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K
21 REPLIES 21

srosa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad to see that the OP found a fairly inexpensive and effective fix to the height of the new Fords. Faced with the same thing with my new F450, I went this route:

These are 2" custom rear axle spacers (no taper) that lowered the bed height by approximately 1.5". This change, along with the same trailer spring mount hole adjustment as the OP, enabled me to tow level with 8" bed rail clearance. I use a hydralift motorcycle carrier so towing level is a little more critical for me than normal.
2018 DRV MS 38 RSSA
2017 Ford F-450 Lariat CC 4X4 DRW LWB

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice Joe.
Glad you had good luck with him.
I have read/heard nothing but great things about Jim.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
A update to my repairs and bed height issues. All repairs are done, and I'm very happy with the work VIP RV did to the trailer. Jim and his guys do great work. I didn't go with putting the axles under the springs. We only raised the springs to the lower spring block holes, which got me an extra 1.5". Flipping them would have been too much and on his recommendations I went this route. In the end I have 7.5" after adjusting the hitch head, pin box and springs. I'm happy with that.
They reinforced all the hanger blocks, did a brake and bearing service, some electrical repairs, fixed my AC unit and a few other odds and ends.
I highly recommend VIP RV service. Thanks guys for sending me to him.

2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
nayther wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
I have entered many gas stations where 4 inches would not make it.

Friday night, Mojave, CA Carl's Jr. very steep driveway out of trailer parking in rear, I just make it with mine and that's at an angle.

Funny. We finally quit going to that CJ's for that very reason. We stop at Jack-in-the-Sack in Rosamond. There's a nice big dirt lot right next to it for oversized parking.

if I remember i park on the street but the lot in the back is so convenient!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:

Friday night, Mojave, CA Carl's Jr. very steep driveway out of trailer parking in rear, I just make it with mine and that's at an angle.

Funny. We finally quit going to that CJ's for that very reason. We stop at Jack-in-the-Sack in Rosamond. There's a nice big dirt lot right next to it for oversized parking.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Sir,
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I hit with my Dodge and don't want that scenario again. It was a nasty drop off at a campground. This is my golden years rig so going across the country will see major changing road conditions.
I've got to see a sweet spot somehow.
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
If normal on the road travel, 4-5" is fine.
Off road, going through culverts, lots of articulation etc, I would want nothing less than 6".
I have 7.75" between my bedrails and trailer.
I have come close once, but I was just crawling so I was watching it closely.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
juzplanekrazy wrote:
Old 2008 Unloaded 55" to top of truck gate/bed rails.
New 2017 Unloaded 59" to top of truck tail gate/bed rails.
Old 2008 Unloaded 34 1/2" to top of truck bed.
New 2017 Unloaded 37" to top of truck bed.
Jim @ VIP seems to think a axle flip will give me 4"/5". I think that’s all I need.
I'm going to hook it up this weekend and see what I get with the pin weight on it. That will be the deciding factor of what I need in the end.

4-5" is still real tight. I think I'm at 6" and it gets close on occasion. had the same issue when I went from 2005 Duramax to 2012. All the new trucks are taller and have deeper beds but not sure why. I assume newer trailers are taking this into account. My BIL just got a new 30' non TH fifth wheel and it fit his truck but was so low he couldn't get it in the driveway, had to actually lower the axles via a subframe, it's a little high but not too bad.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Old 2008 Unloaded 55" to top of truck gate/bed rails.
New 2017 Unloaded 59" to top of truck tail gate/bed rails.
Old 2008 Unloaded 34 1/2" to top of truck bed.
New 2017 Unloaded 37" to top of truck bed.
Jim @ VIP seems to think a axle flip will give me 4"/5". I think that’s all I need.
I'm going to hook it up this weekend and see what I get with the pin weight on it. That will be the deciding factor of what I need in the end.
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool Joe!!!!

Glad it is working out for you.
He won't steer you wrong.
I have 2 buddies that have taken their Warriors to him and the results are amazing.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Linc, Jims the guy no doubt in my mind after talking to him on the phone. Great guy, had all the rite answers.
Go's in on Oct 3rd.
I found a few old papers I sketched up in 2007, and I think I am 12-6"+/- now.
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K