cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FireFighter Retiring in a couple years

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 48yro almost 49 and looking at retirement at the age of 50 being a firefighter for 20 years atm. I drive a 2017 Nissan Titan XD diesel and am looking at a Grand Design travel trailer one specific that my truck can carry no problem. Whatever the TT I get I plan on spending a lot extra and put around 1000 amh of a solar battery and solar panel system on, so yes plan on mostly if not all boondocking.

My question is: Are there many people on the road at that age that do a lot of traveling and boondocking? I'm single and kinda rather intimidated, scared or whatever of jumping out into the new life that I would like to do. Reason i'm researching now early on. I know there are a lot older than me and I don't mind if in a community or if off grid a fellow neighbor a lot older than me I will always get along with anybody no matter what.

My Dad will probably finally retire as well for good at the age of 70 when I turn 50 and i'll probably follow him for a bit, but of course will go my own way early on as in i'm not a gold prospector like they are.

Like I said I for some crazy reason start research early on and I have at least 1 year and half or 2 years before I hit the road all depending.

Thnx
46 REPLIES 46

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
w8lpn wrote:
Good luck on your adventures. "retired" volunteer FF here. Still working full time in EMS and Nursing though. Nice looking rigs you found there. Enjoy!

I have a lot of respect for the volunteers as I volunteered 4 years before paid. Keep up your good work in Nursing and EMS.

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
gregirish1954 wrote:
One thing I didn't see brought up was the fact that the larger/heavier your rig, the fewer boondocking options you have simply because you can't get that rig back into many BLM or Forest Service dispersed-camping areas. And even when you do find an appropriate spot, actually finding it unoccupied may be a challenge because everybody else with large rigs wants that spot too.

In my experience most the time you will be in the rig on your own so any extra space is just coming along for the (expensive) ride. Kids love tents (And parents can put up with a lot for the sake of happy kids, at least for a while!) and tents are inexpensive, lightweight and fit into small storage places where they can lurk without cramping your style until needed. Throw in a lightweight tarp that can be strung up over the tent and create a 'covered patio' and you have a 5-star setup, for a couple days at least.)

I agree. I keep getting caught up on possible trips inviting others to join me fishing on the coast but all they really need is a bathroom/shower/cook area close which would be my trailer so yea good point. I'm still a long ways away from getting a trailer and found several others i'm eye balling and actually looking at smaller ones to make sure I can go where I want boondocking. All this is very very big to me and all the research I can do and helpful hints is very helpful. Thank you all for support.

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck on your adventures. "retired" volunteer FF here. Still working full time in EMS and Nursing though. Nice looking rigs you found there. Enjoy!
2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control

gregirish1954
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I didn't see brought up was the fact that the larger/heavier your rig, the fewer boondocking options you have simply because you can't get that rig back into many BLM or Forest Service dispersed-camping areas. And even when you do find an appropriate spot, actually finding it unoccupied may be a challenge because everybody else with large rigs wants that spot too.

In my experience most the time you will be in the rig on your own so any extra space is just coming along for the (expensive) ride. Kids love tents (And parents can put up with a lot for the sake of happy kids, at least for a while!) and tents are inexpensive, lightweight and fit into small storage places where they can lurk without cramping your style until needed. Throw in a lightweight tarp that can be strung up over the tent and create a 'covered patio' and you have a 5-star setup, for a couple days at least.)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
All nice trailers, and frankly about the same size. Coincidentally all right in the wheelhouse of your truck, pick your fave and go!
Personally, if you're towing a lot of miles, the 5th wheels tow better in general stability wise.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
Of course I wont retire for another year and half but will still have the same tow vehicle "Truck" i'm now thinking of this

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2018/travel-trailer/imagine/floorplans/2670mk

I'm still torn between a bunk house as to make room for others that show up and hosting trips to the coast fishing and 2 children with grandchildren. I will be living in it at least 4-5 months out of the year and i reckon between now and retirement i'll figure it out. Workamping would just be in case i get bored or broke, and of course going at it Single as i probably will i'm finding more stuff on that here and there.

Hope to add alot of solar and battery bank to TT so thats gonna add alot of weight. I've read all post and thanks to all that responded. Great help here. Looking forward to meeting up with other people doing possible group travels and what not in a year or so.

🙂 Walkdog

EDIT: Would be nice if you could take out specific things like outside kitchen to reduce weight. Also not totally sold on Grand Design, just want to be able to see TV from relaxed chair straight on and not side ways looking.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sorry, confused drsteve with dallassteve. It was drsteve that flat out said you cant pull the 5ver, try a TT.

Consider this if one is touting a bumper pull with say 1000lbs tongue weight vs a gn or 5ver with, idk, say 2000lbs pin weight, do a simple moment calculation and see what each is doing to the truck. I'd take a ton dead loaded center over the axle vs half a ton loaded 4' back of that.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Eh good point. But did you look at the specs?
Or was your advice just conjecture?

What's not correct about my advice? I wrote:

"5th wheel trailer puts more weight on the rear axle of your truck than a bumper pull does. You will max out your "payload capacity" quicker with a 5th wheel."

Is that not true? Please tell me if I'm wrong. I also wrote:

"The 5th wheels are nice, but if you're stuck with the Titan I suggest you examine some bumper pull trailers and see if that might work better for you and your truck."

What's wrong about that? I didn't say he couldn't pull those trailers with a Titan. I just suggested he consider his options.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Walkdog, you are not the only younger retired person out there. Nor are you the only single person traveling with an rv. I'm still in the (paid for) sticks and bricks because I work extensively with a dog rescue. I find it rewarding and fun. And I get to hit the road when I want because I'm a volunteer. For me, it's the best of both worlds.

Enjoy the journey!
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Eh good point. But did you look at the specs?
Or was your advice just conjecture?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Well, he can listen to rational advice, or he can listen to someone rant. When I see someone ranting I immediately grow skeptical about what they are saying.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
darsben1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Walkdog, looking at the 2 5vers you proposed, that is exactly what your truck is made for. And really nice lookin trailers to boot.
The new XD diesels are pretty sweet. Half ton guys bag on them because the XD will out tow the best Mac daddy Ecoboost super duper towing package truck out there.
Diesel guys bag on them because they realize that this truck has more power than what they used to brag about and a Little tune would run with their $70000 Cummins dually. And the self proclaimed weight cops liken it to a 6cyl 1993 F150, "because it's only a half ton."

Sounds like you're planning to have a blast. Good luck........

So you are recommending he ignore the payload capacity of his truck?

Have you or oldbiscuit or Dallas or any other of the weight cops actually looked at the trailer specs or truck specs that the OP posted or are you just flinging weight cop poo at him?
Aside from it being a very stout truck in all respects for being a "half ton", I'll tell you what the specs I read are. (Round numbers)
Payload 2000
Goose hitch rating 1800
Towing weight 12000
Trailer weight under 10000
Stated pin weight for the first one I looked up 1200lbs.

What the ____ is wrong with you people? This is a capable, legal and conservative rig for a small 5ver. I'm not even putting on my "that truck will handle it because it's over by Xxx but it's ok" hat. It REALLY falls into the category for these trailers quite well.

I'll say, yes he Could get outside of the payload rating if loaded to the gills with god knows what, but really?
I've said this before, but. Did y'all act like this and follow these "rules" before the Internet or are you born again towing gurus?

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
In your research dig into You Tube. There are lots of videos on people of all ages, even with toddlers, doing the full time thing. A lot use solar and camp every where. I follow some that use an Airstream with a toddler, also a couple with three kids,ages teens to 10-11 in a TT pulled by an F-150. A couple with a 38' 5th wheel, one has a Motorhome. Some are in the IT business or some other business that they can run from the road. Some are like you and retired.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Walkdog, I don't see where anyone has explained this clearly, but part of the problem is 5th wheel trailer vs. bumper pull. A 5th wheel trailer puts more weight on the rear axle of your truck than a bumper pull does. You will max out your "payload capacity" quicker with a 5th wheel. The 5th wheels are nice, but if you're stuck with the Titan I suggest you examine some bumper pull trailers and see if that might work better for you and your truck.