cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaky roof on a 94 fleetwood flair

Roadfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We recently took to the road with our young kids in a 1994 fleetwood flair. We didn't check our roof seals very well before they left town and we just went through our first big rain. After seeing some water spots inside on the cielimg we went on the room and found that most of the sealant is cracked. We used a couple of cans of flexseal on the biggest issue. Unfortunately it rained again about an hour after we got it on. We think We sealed the big crack but we're concerned about the water damage inside. How should we go about handling it? Can we just let it dry? Do we have to get a new roof? Thank you for your help!
7 REPLIES 7

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same thing happen when we took off for 6 months om the road. Massive rain storm going to Myrtle Beach and we had to put buckets under the leak. The caulk along the entire front seam was cracked and gray. A roll of Eternabond and a couple of tubes of Dicor self leveling did the trick. Remove all the old cracked sealant, clean with paint thinner. You need to get a metal roller to get the tape stuck down good. You can also use the roller to flatten out the edges of the tape to fair it in. CW should have these hanging where you find the Dicor. Seal the edges of the tape with Dicor.

Don't use the self leveling lap sealant on vertical surfaces. Use the non-sagging Dicor or FlexSeal caulk.

On the inside, the Ozite ceiling material pulled away from the Luaun ceiling panels, so I cut a straight line across behind the effected area and removed the Ozite. Then I used high performance fabric adhesive. I did this a year after the leak so it was plenty dry. Let the adhesive become sticky before adhering the Ozite to the Luaun. Use wallpapering tools to smooth it out.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World should have it in the store.
Little more expensive than in the mail but should cure your problem immediately instead of 2-3 days. This is a case were increased expense is worth it.
Call the CW to make sure it is in stock, ask them to check the shelf to make sure and GET A NAME just in case.
They call there brand SIKA I believe unsure of quality compared to "brand name".
That Flexseal is only a temp repair. It will bubble up when there is water underneath it
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Consider having the rig pressure tested (about $100) should identify all the sources of leaks.

Before applying Eternabond or any of the other recommended fixes make sure you read the related application instructions - especially the ones related to pre-application cleaning. It's possible your going to have to scrap off the flexseal which many Rvers avoid using.
Kevin

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV dealer/stores will sell Eternabond and Dicor. You will find the best prices online but, obviously, you need an address to have them shipped.
Make sure you clean the area well before applying. Use a roller on the Eternabond to get a good seal.
For the Dicor, clean and remove any loose caulk. You can spply over the solid caulking.

Roadfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. We are full timing for a couple months to start to see how we like it. These products look great. Where do we get them? We're headed to Moab on hwy 6. Just outside of Provo right now. Hopefully we'll have hot and dry for awhile but not sure where to get the sealant products. Thanks for the info on the flex seal.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant and Eternabond are excellent products for roof repair/maintenance.
Check online for the best prices.

I don't think the Flex Seal is a good choice for RV roof repairs. But in an emergency, you do what must be done to avoid more damage.

Are You fulltiming in your Flair?

MrWizard
turn on the Heat and a dehumidifer

get the interior all dried out

clean the roof thoroughly
do all the vents and seams with 'eternabond tape'
get 5 or 6 gallons of "liquid roof" and coat the complete roof, you need warm dry weather

there is something else that is water proof, and won't wash off, unless you get hit with a thunder storm right after you put it on, but i don't remember the name

be sure to check the bolts holding the A/C to roof
they should be snug, but NOT over tighten or the A/C gasket will be squished too flat and leak

these bolts are inside the RV, when you remove the inside ceiling A/C cover
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s