Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Refused entry with a truck & camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Refused entry with a truck & camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Next
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a call this morning from Mike & Terri, they are being refused entry with a truck camper on a 1 ton. My mexican partner is trying to deal with it via phone. Not sure if the issue is the truck being a 1 ton or the fact the TC has no plate (which is the case in many states & provinces). If anyone is running into this sort of thing this season, can you please post the circumstances here. This is happening at Columbia, BTW.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What excure did they give?
BC does look at vehicle weight limits, so Im guessing they see,the truck overloaded according to the truck manufacturers GVWR rating.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This appears to be an issue with the fact the camper is not licensed or registered which they seldom are. The problem with columbia is that they can see your rig, unlike in Nogales. Most people with truck campers just get the permit on the truck itself. They are going to try downtown tommorrow. Otherwise I am suggesting they try Reyonosa.

* This post was edited 10/01/17 04:19pm by Tequila *

JerBear

Kingston,Nova Scotia,Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/17 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spoke with Mike Church yesterday.....waiting to hear how he makes out.

2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not good, they gave scrapped going in. They were told at both the Columbia and downtown crossing that only 1/2 ton pickups are allowed into mexico. This was not a problem last spring when we crossed with sever 3/4 & 1 tons.

briansue

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This makes no sense - we go in easily with our 33,000 pound motorhome - towing a car - no problem. What difference does it make what the registered weight of a pick-up truck is? Wasn't there a long forum post or two about this last year? Wasn't it resolved? How do they get the weight limit - from the registration? Or from looking at something on the actual vehicle? What seems to be the problem? Has anyone ever found out what this is about? Are there crossings where this is not a problem? Last year I thought it had to do with people coming back from Guatemala or Belize. There could be other crossings where this is not a problem but does anyone know where? We talk about how we go to a dentist for cleaning south of Deming, NM and we get our paperwork done there but we do not cross until we get to Laredo. When we do our paperwork there our Bus is 30 miles away and our car is in the parking lot on the US side - we walk in to do the paperwork and they don't seem very concerned. So is it that they look at the vehicle and decide from that or is it that they read something on the paperwork that stops things? Maybe someone will figure out what is going on and come up with a work-around?

http://www.briansue2.blogspot.com

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said it you have a 33,000 "MOTORHOME".

Casa rodante in Spanish, otherwise it is a pickup truck with cargo on the bed not a "MOTORHOME" that is what they are going with, the excuse is the weight and the fact that the camper is detachable as in cargo plus the narcos like the trucks a lot to haul mota.

navegator

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/17 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason for the weight limit is that they think any truck that is not a half ton is a commercial vehicle. Remember the reasoning does not have to make sense. Customs rules in any country can be a nightmare.

Moisheh

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like the whole thing is coming up again. The aduana and Banjercito both told them no 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks are allowed even if they already go their permit on line. I have mine on line. I am thinking of using Reynosa instead although it says on the permit Nuevo Laredo as that is what I told them. I just sent an email off to see if it matters. I have a piece of paper on government staionary stationary stating my truck GVW as weighed is less than 3500 kg. I should probably rip the sticker off the door and show them that if there is a hassle.

south-of-the-border

Albuquerque, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone contacted the Tourism Bureau and asked about this, maybe they have some influence on this ruling?

It has nothing to do with the camper without plates - as they list it on the ingresso papers as "CAMPER EQUIPADO".... no plates because it is not a vehicle.

RVing through the Americas
North-Central-South

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Refused entry with a truck & camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS