cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Interstate Route from Concord NH to Bar Harbor?

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we go to BH we usually take Route 2 across the north, but in a couple of weeks we will need to leave from Concord. Is there a decent non-interstate routing that will get us to BH in our usual +/- 6 hours? It's not the tolls that are a problem but the monotony of the Maine Turnpike...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie
6 REPLIES 6

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Now DW says she's in a hurry and wants to take the turnpikes, which I've done before. To try to save my rapidly fading thoughts of leisurely trip are gone! So, is Rt 3 out of Augusta to the coast and from there Rt 1 a good idea, instead of staying on the Maine Pike to Bangor and then to Ellsworth?

If the goal is to get there quickly go to Bangor and down. The trip along the coast can be very slow if traffic is heavy.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now DW says she's in a hurry and wants to take the turnpikes, which I've done before. To try to save my rapidly fading thoughts of leisurely trip are gone! So, is Rt 3 out of Augusta to the coast and from there Rt 1 a good idea, instead of staying on the Maine Pike to Bangor and then to Ellsworth?
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

K9Sailors
Explorer
Explorer
As I think of it, I've experienced Rockland to be crazy busy on the weekends. If you want to avoid that, consider taking Rt 90 in Warren to Rockport, to save a bit of aggravation. Also, while approaching Bucksport, check out the observatory atop the new Penobscot Narrows Bridge. I've not done it yet, but I hear it's worth the stop.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanx! We have a mini-reunion with friends on MDI every year, but never tried an alternate route - except to once take Rt 1 through ME & NH to Cape Cod, and did an overnight in Boothbay along the way.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Just head up 106 from Concord thru Laconia to Meredith, pick up 25 east to Tamworth, run 16 north to 302 in Conway. From Fryeburg, ME use 5 north to 35 to Bethel, ME where you can pick up Rte 2 like usual. Google has it as 297 miles this way Concord to Bar Harbor, 6 1/4 hours. Alternate is just run 93 north thru Twin Mountain to Jefferson to pick up 2 east, that shows just under 6 hours at 312 miles. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

K9Sailors
Explorer
Explorer
For a nice non-highway route from Concord, consider Rt 28 thru Wolfeboro to Ossipee, then Rt 16 north to Rt 25 east to Wesrbrook Maine. Then Rt 295 to Brunswick and Rt 1 takes you right up to Ellsworth.

An alternative route with just a little highway time is Rt 4/202 east to Northwood, then Rt 4 thru Rochester and Sanford, catching Rt 111 in Alfred to Biddeford. Then 95N to 295 to Brunswick and pick up Rt1.

I've done both routes towing trailers and the latter towing a 26' sailboat. I think the best part of the trip to BH is Rt 1 beginning Freeport.

I used to make the annual MDI trek, wish I was doing it right now! Have fun up there!