cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Routing from Yuma to San Diego

Skline01
Explorer
Explorer
I am attempting to finalize my route from Yuma to SanDiego. Both my Google and my trip routing software are eliminating US8 between Yuma and El Centro and trying to force me on 534 to 78 and then back to 8 at El Centro
I am told there is major construction on 8 and this is the best alternative. This routing appears to take me on some smaller roads which I suspect will be quite congested.
Has anyone travelled this detour route and can you tell me how it was.

Thanks
USMC Mustang 8989
6 REPLIES 6

Skline01
Explorer
Explorer
To all who responded to this post, thanks again. I just drove the stretch from Yuma to El Centro yesterday and yes there were two stretches of one lane at 60 but the route was much better then how both google and my RV Garmin trie to route me around. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL
USMC Mustang 8989

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We drive that section of I-8 occasionally. Good to go. My advice would be to deep six that GPS.

Skline01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the responses and reassurance. I will stay with 8. It will make life a lot easier ๐Ÿ™‚
USMC Mustang 8989

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
What they said. Nothing wrong with the 8, I just drove it last week in a Class A. Down to one lane in places, 60 mph limit, but nothing to keep you from going that way.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
There are signs on I-8 to ignore your GPS. There are short detours at times (changes routinely) but they are well marked with signs.

stick with I-8 unless you want to see a different route.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove this route last week {Thursday}, and there is absolutely no reason not to take I-8 all the way in to San Diego. While they are replacing all of I-8 from El Centro to Yuma {and have been for a couple of years - it is a big project} the slowest interstate you will encounter is posted at 60 mph through the construction zones {which consist of several 5 to 10 mile one lane stretches}, and frankly most folks drive faster than that... despite that doing so just about guarantees you a ticket with the fines doubled..

The alternate choices you were given are OK and even a tad bit scenic if you like two lane twisties but I-8 is the way to go.

:C