cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Fiesta ruined transmission questions

dknow36
Explorer
Explorer
So we have a 2013 automatic Ford Fiesta, spent $3600 on the Flat tow dingy package (parts + labor). First time using it, after 30 miles the battery died (because we were using a brake buddy), after the battery died the gear came out of neutral and ruined our transmission, so less than an hour from our house we destroyed a transmission. The cost of replacement $4300.

Ford told us that because we towed it, the warranty does not cover it. I asked him could he show me that in writing because I could show him in writing that the owners manual had a whole section telling us that we could recreational tow!

So my two questions are:

1.Do we have any recourse from Ford to get our $4300 back?

2. Is it better to have a trickle charge to charge the car battery so that Brake buddy will work or is it better to just not use a brake assist because that's what the manual states is to disconnect the battery?

After spending now $7900 on the Ford Fiesta (which is almost more than the car is worth) we have a car that I am afraid to dingy tow.

Frustrated.
13 REPLIES 13

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
A stick shift Fiesta is a piece of cake--put it in physical neutral and go. And the 3 cylinder turbo, available only with a stick shift, is a gas to drive.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was never sold on the transmission Ford uses in the Focus and Fiesta, for flat towing. Nor was I keen on the idea of having to disconnect the battery every time you flat tow. That pretty much took the Focus and Fiesta off of our list (even before I read of several stories like this that just confirmed it even more).

We ended up going with the Ford Fusion hybrid, and have been very happy with it. Just seemed like a much better choice. No need to disconnect battery or anything, no crazy procedures to go through when hooking up. Just throw it in neutral, hook up and go. Not sure all the details of why, but Ford's hybrid drivetrain they use in the Fusion and CMax hybrids lends itself really, really well to flat towing.

After over 4 years of use as my daily driver and flat towing (its a 2013 model), nearly 80,000 miles on the Fusion (and probably another 20k worth of flat towing miles)....Car still runs, drives as good as the day I bought it. Only thing its ever needed is routine maintenance (oil changes, etc), a set of tires after like 60k miles, and a (12 volt) battery.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
Just making an observation myself, not accusations, but based on what I researched and was told if you have the double clutch automatic after you get the "Transmission Ready"

This might be a key point. The 2013's initially did not have the "Transmission Ready" message. You were supposed to just count the seconds. After a lot of people towed their cars in gear accidentally, Ford added the message, but on the older Fiestas, you have to get the car re-flahed to enable the message.

FWIW to the OP. "Park" in the dual-clutch is really just putting both shafts in gear, and engaging both clutches, so the gears binding hold it. The Neutral procedure is disengaging gears in both halves of the transmission, and when it's shut-off before the procedure complete, one or both gear-sets and/or clutches may still be engaged.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
The same thing happened to a friend of mine. I tried telling him that his Fiesta was to small to tow a 36' TT.
Dennis Hoppert

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The same thing happened to a friend with his Fiesta, Ford would not cover it even thought the manual states that the auto is towable. Claimed it was operator error, his insurance ended up paying for the repairs.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Just making an observation myself, not accusations, but based on what I researched and was told if you have the double clutch automatic after you get the "Transmission Ready" display you cut the ignition back to the off position and then remove the negative cable at the battery. You can put a disconnect on the negative line but it has to be at the post. Also if you do not have the ignition on when putting the transmission in neutral the transmission does not go into disengaged mode therefore it will blow the transmission while under way.

Not that I don't trust manuals and technicians but that is one reason I went with a five speed manual.

DKnow if you did everything according to the book I would most definitely pursue whatever action I needed to. The techs and the manual says it is ok to tow. Swallowing 4300 is a bitter pill.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't you to disconnect the negative side of the battery befor towing? Just asking for clarification, not trying to accuse.

I understand those running a charge line.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who ever installed the tow package should be responsible.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I think Big's suggestion is a good one...installed by an independent shop.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe a junkyard trans?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dknow36
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply's guys, I will try and call Dearborn but I'll be shocked to get any of my money back. Also it looks like from what I am reading is that anytime I tow my vehicle regardless of what I do, I am taking a chance. Maybe I'll go back to a tow dolly.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
The transmission is 'by wire' actuated so holding the shift quadrant in place physically, does nothing.

Being a Ford Family, I'd call Ford in Dearborn and speak to an authorized Ford representative. Having said that, I don't believe you have any recourse with Ford because there are mitigating circumstances, you let the battery drop below 9 volts static charge. That is the level at which the ECM drops out and all systems go into default.

They may offset the repair but I don't believe they will stand good for the entire amount.

Guess thats why I prefer a manual transmission. It has a physical neutral.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Did the dealer tell you it wasn't covered, or the regional Ford rep.

Some folks add a charge line to the toad from the coach to keep the battery charged, and I've also heard of some powering their Brake Buddy with a rechargeable battery booster box. I'd also look at holding the transmission in neutral more securely, perhaps with a bungee cord or two.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate