Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 568  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Reisender wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Impossible to be in self driving mode. Does not exist.

Driver is required to keep hands on the wheel and pay attention. Even while the driving assist mode is being utilized the driver has full function capability to steer the vehicle and reduce speed.

Swerving and hitting a parked vehicle is driver error. Seems plain and simple to be.

Will be interesting if FSD will allow exceeding the speed limit and allowing passengers to be unbuckled.

Yah you beat me to it. What FSD. I have driven Teslas and Nissans and Autopilot (or Nissans propilot) has a lot of safety features but it still requires full driver supervision. You can take your hands off the wheel for brief periods but you have to watch where you are going. The car won't (can't) swerve if your hands on the wheel as you are always in full control. Sounds like she may have got distracted or something. Sad though.

Please excuse my naivety here, but what exactly does "driving assist" do if you still have to drive the car? From the sounds of it, even taking your hands off the wheel for a brief moment may be taking a risk if that's when the "assistant" decides to turn the wheel. Providing such a feature should include some responsibility on the part of the manufacturer or should simply be disabled if it cannot work properly.

Driving assist has anti collision braking, obstacle avoidance, keeps distance between yourself and the car in front, helps with lane control, lane change blind spot monitoring. We both like it. Various manufactures have various versions. All operate slightly differently. All require the driver to be attentive although some drivers try to cheat the sensors that require your hands to be on the wheel. People who have fallen asleep at the wheel have literally had their lives saved by these systems. I would think they’ll be mandatory within the decade. I like propilot better fir lane control, I like autopilot better for lane changing. I wouldn’t buy a new car without it.

Chainwright

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

A world of massive waste and chaos at Giga1 factory!!

Wow! Talk about bad! "A half a million batteries wasted a DAY!!

Saving the world with massive waste! Way the kill it Elon! No wonder you went on a Twitter rant this weekend! In all truthfulness I would have nutted up to dude!
A day ago you criticize Elon for asking Panasonic to step it up and be more productive.

Now suddenly it is also Elon's fault there is so much waste in the Panasonic production of batteries.

Is this another attack on that sensitive Japanese Honor you speak of? Dude you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

I suppose just a few months ago your story was Tesla going out of business for too many employees followed up with Tesla is going BK because he is letting some employees go.

All very comical really. Anyone still have popcorn?

time...I hope you didn't just notice this. lol

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"People who have fallen asleep at the wheel have literally had their lives saved by these systems."

And people who were trying to cross the street have literally been killed by it. Just like SNL, not ready for prime time. Maybe another decade.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"People who have fallen asleep at the wheel have literally had their lives saved by these systems."

And people who were trying to cross the street have literally been killed by it. Just like SNL, not ready for prime time. Maybe another decade.

How would a driving assist systym kill somebody walking across the street. The driver is in control. Not the systym. Huh?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Get more details on this incident. I think you will find it was not Tesla and not being used as designed.

Has been discussed up thread.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leader Tusk proved that "hands on" are NOT required during his interview on 60 Minutes....then the next day he back stepped via tweets

Or the many YouTube's from Fan Boys bragging how they can be in the back seat, sleeping, etc...with no hands on the steering wheel...

time2roll wrote:

Driver is required to keep hands on the wheel and pay attention. Even while the driving assist mode is being utilized the driver has full function capability to steer the vehicle and reduce speed.

Swerving and hitting a parked vehicle is driver error. Seems plain and simple to be.

Will be interesting if FSD will allow exceeding the speed limit and allowing passengers to be unbuckled.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Leader Tusk proved that "hands on" are NOT required during his interview on 60 Minutes....then the next day he back stepped via tweets

Or the many YouTube's from Fan Boys bragging how they can be in the back seat, sleeping, etc...with no hands on the steering wheel...

time2roll wrote:

Well, totally agree with you tube morons using cheat devices and not driving the car. The systym will not operate if hands are left off the wheel but can tolerate short periods without hands on wheel. Driver must always be able to take control or be in control as per instructions.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Get more details on this incident. I think you will find it was not Tesla and not being used as designed.

Nobody said Tesla, and the conversation was about autodrive capability, not just Tesla autodrive.

I know the details: Uber and Volvo and some of the software disabled, but it just goes to show that, as I said, autodrive simply isn't ready for prime time. Someday perhaps, but not yet.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

time2roll wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Nobody said Tesla, and the conversation was about autodrive capability, not just Tesla autodrive.

I know the details: Uber and Volvo and some of the software disabled, but it just goes to show that, as I said, autodrive simply isn't ready for prime time. Someday perhaps, but not yet.

I tend to partially agree with above but would add, when self drive does make its debut there may some kind of prerequisite software trainer for drivers before they operate. I’m thinking that FSD is probably a few years away, or at least the legislation that allows it.

Honestly no idea. But personally I would love it.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Or the many YouTube's from Fan Boys bragging how they can be in the back seat, sleeping, etc...with no hands on the steering wheel..
All Elon "proved" was that for a short time you can get away with not following directions. You can do the same with any vehicle but I don't recommend it.

Any fool that follows you-tube nut balls gets what they deserve. I just hope no one else is injured.

BenK, you always seem to be a person that goes by the book when operating a vehicle. You know... stay in your ratings, change the oil on time, etc. Not sure how all that goes out the window when it involves Elon and Tesla. If the Ford CEO was doing handstands on an F150 in motion would you do that too?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 568  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.