Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 611  
Prev  |  Next
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Diesetgate may turn out to be the best thing that happened to VW, it made them go all in on EV's and PHEV's. The Porsche Tacan 4S starts at 103K and supports 800V charging. 80% charge in 22 minutes.

Nice looking car too. I haven’t heard much about them building out a charging network like the Supercharger network. Maybe they’ll strike a deal with Tesla for usage rights. Can’t believe no one has done that yet.

The Porsche's EPA range is pretty bad for the money it takes to get that car. I have heard some say that it is just due to the testing methods. If so there should be real world stories by now of the Taycan exceeding the 200 mile range but I haven't seen any. Also, the short range is due to poor efficiency, not a small battery. That means that you only go 2/3 as far on a charge but it still takes just as long to charge up.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Diesetgate may turn out to be the best thing that happened to VW, it made them go all in on EV's and PHEV's. The Porsche Tacan 4S starts at 103K and supports 800V charging. 80% charge in 22 minutes.

Nice looking car too. I haven’t heard much about them building out a charging network like the Supercharger network. Maybe they’ll strike a deal with Tesla for usage rights. Can’t believe no one has done that yet.

The Porsche's EPA range is pretty bad for the money it takes to get that car. I have heard some say that it is just due to the testing methods. If so there should be real world stories by now of the Taycan exceeding the 200 mile range but I haven't seen any. Also, the short range is due to poor efficiency, not a small battery. That means that you only go 2/3 as far on a charge but it still takes just as long to charge up.

That range is surprizingly low. I wonder if they are not enabling all the battery for longevity purposes.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

That range is surprizingly low. I wonder if they are not enabling all the battery for longevity purposes.

Could be. Audi limits the battery to 88% capacity on the Etron, Porsche might be doing the same. Tesla has a head start on battery management and others are still playing catch up.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Anything that has a range of 200 seems to be a joke. And for a prestigious car company, the question begs, why did they even bother.

Would have been wise to have one but with another low-end sub-brand and one with the size of Smart and released in Italy, lol.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Anything that has a range of 200 seems to be a joke. And for a prestigious car company, the question begs, why did they even bother.

Would have been wise to have one but with another low-end sub-brand and one with the size of Smart and released in Italy, lol.

I think there is a place for sub 200 mile even sub 140 mile range EV’s. But not for 80,000 bucks. [emoticon]

100 mile range commuters for a reasonable price can be quite marketable in the right environment. Tesla is setting up a design centre in Shanghai for the Asian market. One of the expected designs is a 100 to 150 mile 20,000 commuter. My guess is it will happen by end 2020.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

100 mile range commuters for a reasonable price can be quite marketable in the right environment. Tesla is setting up a design centre in Shanghai for the Asian market. One of the expected designs is a 100 to 150 mile 20,000 commuter. My guess is it will happen by end 2020.

Makes sense in China. I think this is the standard range for the Chinese made EV cars.

For the brand conscious Chinese, having a Tesla even if performance is similar with a little bit higher price is viable.

MNGeeks61

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

One of the expected designs is a 100 to 150 mile 20,000 commuter. My guess is it will happen by end 2020.

While I applaud Tesla doing that, my only question is WHY THEY DIDN'T DO IT HERE.

All along they went 35k for the Model 3 and said they were losing money. If they can afford to lose money on those, I don't know why they didn't offer a model 3 for 20-25k. I mean, used 2017 - 2018 Leafs around here with a 90 mile range or whatever they are - STILL around 20k.

I'm curious how they're going to be making money, even though it's manufactured overseas.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

I think there is a place for sub 200 mile even sub 140 mile range EV’s. But not for 80,000 bucks. [emoticon]

I am not sure that matters. Two different markets. Tesla's are marketed and tend to be more of a daily driver. The Porsche will probably be one of those garage queens typical of the high end supercar market trading hands multiple times with very low miles.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNGeeks61 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

One of the expected designs is a 100 to 150 mile 20,000 commuter. My guess is it will happen by end 2020.

While I applaud Tesla doing that, my only question is WHY THEY DIDN'T DO IT HERE.

All along they went 35k for the Model 3 and said they were losing money. If they can afford to lose money on those, I don't know why they didn't offer a model 3 for 20-25k. I mean, used 2017 - 2018 Leafs around here with a 90 mile range or whatever they are - STILL around 20k.

I'm curious how they're going to be making money, even though it's manufactured overseas.

Although they sell the 35400 SR version of the model 3 Tesla it is not very popular. No idea what the margin is on it. But the SR plus version has healthy margins and they sell a ton of those.

They already said the next Tesla would be smaller than a model 3 and will have less tech. The bigger market for that is Asia. Also, the world has changed a lot in the last few years. Tariffs are now a way of life. Export is difficult. It is better to build in the market you will sell the most in. Less logistics and politics. That’s why they are also building a factory in Germany. It’s also why cars like Nissan Leafs are built in the US for the North American market and not in Japan.

I also think Tesla is a company hated by many Americans and they would probably meet a lot of resistance in opening up another factory in the USA...and from some pretty powerful lobby groups. Big oil, Unions, car dealer alliances. Many would just prefer to see Tesla go broke or at least move operations to another country. It makes sense for Tesla to decentralize away from North America.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla (TSLA) rallies near $500 per share as shorts go mad

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 611  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.