Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 559  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the reasons (in my opinion) that cars like the Audi ETron and Jag Ipace have horrible range compared to their completion is their blocky shapes. We took a close look at an ETron and although it’s very nice inside it is a huge square ugly block outside. It has a huge battery and gets less range than a Nissan Eplus Leaf. I know range isn’t important for everyone but the price tag is literally double the Tesla model 3...or more. Sedans and hatchbacks are just easier to make aerodynamic than SUV’s.

The Ipace is also a nice car but again kinda boxy for my taste.

The Porsche is very similar to the model S. Both georgeous cars.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Check your shorts again... Tesla now trading over $520. When will the madness end?

[image]

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rome bans diesel vehicles !

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

philh wrote:

Groover wrote:

The just released Porsch can't keep up with a 10 year old Model S, costs more and doesn't have nearly as much range. I take that as Tesla is way ahead. The new Volvo and Audi don't compare well either.

They are all using the same batteries.

How they choose to put them in their cars is where a lot of the performance differences is coming from. Tesla has made choices other mfg will not make with battery placement and battery pack density. There is nothing new here, just application of same technology. Battery energy is pretty much a physics limitation.

You seem to acknowledge that Tesla batteries work better but at the same time deny that there is any reason for them to. Either that or there is no reason, they just do so it must be magic. I don't understand your thought process.

He said placement and density is the reason for increased range. I assume that may come with a trade off in something (safety, reliability, mfg cost?) and may be why others are not doing that.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yah we could see this coming. So many sidewalk cafes and shops that suffer because of not just diesel but gassers as well. Soon it won’t be just diesel. Lots of other European cities bannning any ice vehicles downtown. In 5 years this will be widespread. Beginning to not make sense driving any ICE vehicle there as more and more only electrics are allowed downtown.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

philh wrote:

Groover wrote:

The just released Porsch can't keep up with a 10 year old Model S, costs more and doesn't have nearly as much range. I take that as Tesla is way ahead. The new Volvo and Audi don't compare well either.

They are all using the same batteries.

How they choose to put them in their cars is where a lot of the performance differences is coming from. Tesla has made choices other mfg will not make with battery placement and battery pack density. There is nothing new here, just application of same technology. Battery energy is pretty much a physics limitation.

You seem to acknowledge that Tesla batteries work better but at the same time deny that there is any reason for them to. Either that or there is no reason, they just do so it must be magic. I don't understand your thought process.

My thoughts exactly -- but you said it way better than me in a way that will get this thread closed (again).[emoticon]

Actually, it is said that Tesla battery has a secret sauce and that's why their battery operations and installation is in top secret section of the final assembly.

They say it's not just their cylindrical, against others prismatic, nor the stacking density as other can easily copy them.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Yah we could see this coming. So many sidewalk cafes and shops that suffer because of not just diesel but gassers as well. Soon it won’t be just diesel. Lots of other European cities bannning any ice vehicles downtown. In 5 years this will be widespread. Beginning to not make sense driving any ICE vehicle there as more and more only electrics are allowed downtown.

Here are the countries planning measures to eliminate diesel and gasoline cars:Norway. ...
Germany. ...
France. ...
UK. ...
Scotland. ...
Netherlands. ...
Ireland.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Here are the countries planning measures to eliminate diesel and gasoline cars:Norway. ...
Germany. ...
France. ...
UK. ...
Scotland. ...
Netherlands. ...
Ireland.

A few days ago I saw an article about the dangers of metallic brake dust to people in the area. If any regulations come about on that it could at least boost the requirement for regenerative braking, whether it is hybrid or full battery.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regenerative braking is only as good as the amount of battery capacity and its rate of absorption

Meaning, any battery has an absorption rate in voltage/amperes.

You can tell the controller to dump more regenerative power, but the battery will NOT take much more without heating up FAST and shortening it's life span

If you do have the large enough of a battery array, then the rate of power dumped into them is spread over many, many batteries so that it can brake harder

Below some rate, mechanical brakes are a must

Look up rail dust from trains

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Germany. ...
France. ...
UK. ...
Scotland. ...
Netherlands. ...
Ireland.

A few days ago I saw an article about the dangers of metallic brake dust to people in the area. If any regulations come about on that it could at least boost the requirement for regenerative braking, whether it is hybrid or full battery.

Yah. We barely use our brakes because of regeneration and our EV’s are 4 and 5 years old. With the new generation of Tesla’s and leafs etc they have one pedal driving and the brakes are rarely used.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 559  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.