Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 555  
Prev  |  Next
LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNGeeks61 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

I know all of you that worship Elon. But advertising "autopilot" and that you will have software to make your Tesla a "autonomous taxi" to make your money back, and NOT BEING ABLE TO DISTINGUISH STOPPED EMERGENCY VEHICLES is horrific in my mind. Yes, it was driver error based on advertised "safest vehicle in the world".

Unbelievable how some of you rationalize your beliefs. I have values.
UMMMM... No. There are no self driving Teslas. Plain and simple driver error. Tesla clearly requires all drivers to stay in control.

You must be the person that worships Elon and Tesla if you believe the vehicles have more capability than they do.

killed a few quotes...

The main problem as I've repeatedly stated is Elon. Tweet, tweet "autonomous taxis this year", "full self driving soon", "semi in 2018", and of course I paraphrase because I don't feel like proving to you that he could be some of the cause of the stupidity. Also because he WON against that poor cave diver. What a class act.

Anyway, here's tesla's own site. If people don't read...

click

Here's the other half of the equation. People DON'T read their entire manual. When you buy a car, and wind up with a 350 page plus manual (yep, Jeep Cherokee) or capability to view online, a lot of people will just ignore some of the manual. So of course you'll have people ignoring things they should read. Still the manufacturer's responsibility to phrase it correctly and Elon is not much help there.

I have to ask, is it just the media or do Tesla's get singled out because of their hype? I mean, there are other cars with driver assist features, surely those people must not read either. Where are all their crashes?

My father has a Grand Cherokee with some type of lane follow/center feature. When it's on, and set to the highest setting, it will move the wheel to stay in the lane. It's a bit unsettling, if for example you wish to pass a State Trooper on the side of the road, the wheel will almost jerk itself out of your hands. An example of a learning curve perhaps.

did you use a turn signal? lane assist generally disables if the blinker is on, since it expects to leave the lane

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

There have been a few instances of crashes that have occurred when cars were in Autopilot mode. Like an airplane, the car will pretty much drive itself, but yet requires the driver to pay attention to what is happening. The problem is that it's human nature for us to only pay as much attention as we have to. It's easy to get lulled into a routine of reading a magazine or playing with a phone while you should be watching the road, and in the extremely rare instance where your can cannot differentiate between the sky and the side of a semi truck a crash occurs.

Exactly the reasons why my daughter has not been using her auto-pilot features in her Tesla X. She is afraid it will lull her into false sense of confidence and actually distract her in her focus in driving. She is waiting though for the regulatory go-signal from supposedly independent body of experts to use it -- hopefully in full autonomous mode.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not convinced autonomous is anywhere ready for real world. Today's snow storm was an excellent example. When there were "lanes" it was more or less two tracks. Blind spot monitors were blinded by built up snow and on sending alerts when changing lanes. Backing up, sensors indicated obstructions. And that's not even getting into what happens if you wander into a section of slush that suddenly starts pulling the car over to one side.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

I'm not convinced autonomous is anywhere ready for real world. Today's snow storm was an excellent example. When there were "lanes" it was more or less two tracks. Blind spot monitors were blinded by built up snow and on sending alerts when changing lanes. Backing up, sensors indicated obstructions. And that's not even getting into what happens if you wander into a section of slush that suddenly starts pulling the car over to one side.

My other son, also an engineer, working on radar technology, said that the technology on autonomous vehicle are way so advanced and sophisticated. They have photo-sensors (sight) and penetrating radar "reading" solid white embankments, snow or slush.

Google he said is the most advanced of them and already experimenting on steering-wheel less vehicles for robo-taxis.

It might come sooner than you think.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Tesla Semi Will Be Tesla's Most Disruptive Vehicle Yet
[image]

Tesla's Secret Weapon (worth billions)

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill wrote:

MNGeeks61 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

I know all of you that worship Elon. But advertising "autopilot" and that you will have software to make your Tesla a "autonomous taxi" to make your money back, and NOT BEING ABLE TO DISTINGUISH STOPPED EMERGENCY VEHICLES is horrific in my mind. Yes, it was driver error based on advertised "safest vehicle in the world".

Unbelievable how some of you rationalize your beliefs. I have values.
UMMMM... No. There are no self driving Teslas. Plain and simple driver error. Tesla clearly requires all drivers to stay in control.

You must be the person that worships Elon and Tesla if you believe the vehicles have more capability than they do.

killed a few quotes...

The main problem as I've repeatedly stated is Elon. Tweet, tweet "autonomous taxis this year", "full self driving soon", "semi in 2018", and of course I paraphrase because I don't feel like proving to you that he could be some of the cause of the stupidity. Also because he WON against that poor cave diver. What a class act.

Anyway, here's tesla's own site. If people don't read...

click

Here's the other half of the equation. People DON'T read their entire manual. When you buy a car, and wind up with a 350 page plus manual (yep, Jeep Cherokee) or capability to view online, a lot of people will just ignore some of the manual. So of course you'll have people ignoring things they should read. Still the manufacturer's responsibility to phrase it correctly and Elon is not much help there.

I have to ask, is it just the media or do Tesla's get singled out because of their hype? I mean, there are other cars with driver assist features, surely those people must not read either. Where are all their crashes?

My father has a Grand Cherokee with some type of lane follow/center feature. When it's on, and set to the highest setting, it will move the wheel to stay in the lane. It's a bit unsettling, if for example you wish to pass a State Trooper on the side of the road, the wheel will almost jerk itself out of your hands. An example of a learning curve perhaps.

did you use a turn signal? lane assist generally disables if the blinker is on, since it expects to leave the lane

Yes, need to use blinker to pause the lane keep. And Chrysler has the worst lane keep. I agree very abrupt and not a smooth system.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to experience this when I get my Cybertruck: arousal, the author reported.[emoticon]

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

My other son, also an engineer, working on radar technology, said that the technology on autonomous vehicle are way so advanced and sophisticated. They have photo-sensors (sight) and penetrating radar "reading" solid white embankments, snow or slush.

Google he said is the most advanced of them and already experimenting on steering-wheel less vehicles for robo-taxis.

It might come sooner than you think.

That's an area I'm not as familiar with, so he could be correct. I just know the stuff that's out today, appears to be a long ways away.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is both “what an autonomous vehicle” sees and how it interprets what it sees

Here is an image of what a 1917 AV sees, today’s should be much better...but there is no SINGULAR standard...yet. Embryonic still and hopefully moving ahead quickly

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/auto........iles/wheels/lidar-self-driving-cars.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/automobiles/wheels/lidar-self-driving-cars.html

How the software interprets what it’s sensors “see” is out in the wild....as....again, too many for a standards body to adopt...yet

Artificial Intelligence and adaptive learning might speed that up, but will they all become a standard ?

Plus, has the industry settled on the metrics of when it will kill?....Humans make that decision all too often...squirrels, bunny’s , dogs, etc vs an adult, a child, tree, ditch, etc. Or when shall it be allowed to break the laws? Like crossing a double, double center road line? On that, is there a standard for inter vehicle communications?

Then who to sue...an autonomous vehicle will have many more to sue....computer hardware’s, software’s...plural. From the system, to subassemblies, to chips, to OS, to all of the layers on top thereof...maybe all of the integrators in between them all...maybe the service tech and his/her company they work for...and assume even more

On top of all that...in there is only one human controlled vehicle in their mix...how will they react to a humans wacky decisions out in the wild...then multiplex that by millions of humans in the mix...

Am 71, so maybe not in my lifetime...

Edit...been a long time since my robotics days and hope there are many new industry standards existing as many in the making...patents will always be an impediment

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla unveils its new Full Self-Driving ........‘objectively the best chip in the world’

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 555  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.