Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 611  
Prev  |  Next
Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This isn't really related to "electric" vehicles, but...

Speaking of how high pickup trucks are. It would be interesting if a vehicle manufacturer came out with a pickup truck with some sort of collapsible sides. Dodges (Ram) have the tool box bed (which I think is great), what about instead somehow having the side drop down 6 or more inches?

Also, it would be interesting if a manufacturer came out with a "low rider" truck... just take all the spacers out from underneath that they use to lift the trucks. Unfortunately I don't think it would sell enough to make it worthwhile. But I can dream!

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Got a Jeep mostly for farming.

You're a farmer too? A pretty versatile fellow.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Who wants a truck where you have to access everything from the tailgate because the sides are too high to lift anything over? Not me.

Meh. With the height of trucks nowadays I would think many aces from the back. Heh heh. My wife at 5’6” could never access anything from the side in any of our trucks. Besides with today’s tonneau covers you still have to go to the back to unfasten it and start folding it back. With the cybertruck you just push a button.

What's a tonneau cover?!? I've heard of canopy's, useful if you haul co striction tools like my sons. Really a major pita if like me, you haul bulk material like soil, rock bark etc doing landscape construction with truck. Have only had one xanapy. Spent 90+% of the time off the truck. Lumber pipe racks are useful.
Tonneau cover?!?!? Is that a fancy term for front engine compartment cover?!?!? Or bra like some VW bugs had to keep rock chips on hold?!?!?
Marty

Nope. Not a canopy. Just google it. I think every manufacture offers them as an option. Also available after market. Essentially a sliding box cover. Kind of a standard thing where we are. Gives some security for stuff in the box as well as keeping the weather off of whatever you are hauling. Tesla’s is just an automated version.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Speaking of how high pickup trucks are. It would be interesting if a vehicle manufacturer came out with a pickup truck with some sort of collapsible sides. Dodges (Ram) have the tool box bed (which I think is great), what about instead somehow having the side drop down 6 or more inches?

Also, it would be interesting if a manufacturer came out with a "low rider" truck... just take all the spacers out from underneath that they use to lift the trucks. Unfortunately I don't think it would sell enough to make it worthwhile. But I can dream!

I have long thought that pickups should be offered with reduced bedrail height for fifth wheels and slide in campers. The higher the bedrails the higher front room of a fifth wheel has to be to clear them.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or they could just stop building them so high. They worked fine before.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

Yah totally agree. Or make it an option. Or make it ride height adjustable like the cybertruck and the Rivian.

Seriously, with the amount of jacked up trucks I see on the road my guess is the drivers with the highest trucks are probably suffering from some kind of ***** size compensation complex. I would think MANY never leave the pavement and most have never had anything in them but a grocery bag....and I doubt they have ever towed anything. I have no problem with that as it is a personal choice. I get it, people like trucks. Meh.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Yah totally agree. Or make it an option. Or make it ride height adjustable like the cybertruck and the Rivian.

Seriously, with the amount of jacked up trucks I see on the road my guess is the drivers with the highest trucks are probably suffering from some kind of ***** size compensation complex. I would think MANY never leave the pavement and most have never had anything in them but a grocery bag....and I doubt they have ever towed anything. I have no problem with that as it is a personal choice. I get it, people like trucks. Meh.

Common joke among my friends even before the 4th beer -- that's the size is in inverse proportion to how yuge the truck is. Except it's now called mushroom our circle described as yuuuge or tiny.[emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/24/20 11:22am by Yosemite Sam1 *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Got a Jeep mostly for farming.

You're a farmer too? A pretty versatile fellow.

Thanks! Started developing it and working on it weekends when resources become available as I started my professional life.

But had to drop and break off with the mistress: golf, unless it's on company dime "strengthening business partnership". LOL.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Colapsible sides are good idea,something Jpanese trucks had like forever
See at 5 min
https://youtu.be/w34xFrAbPBM

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Colapsible sides are good idea,something Jpanese trucks had like forever
See at 5 min
https://youtu.be/w34xFrAbPBM

I just skimmed the video, looks interesting. Is that a custom / commercial body?

You can buy aftermarket custom rear bodies for US trucks and make them do whatever you want. I meant having a "factory look" rear pickup body that can drop down, similar to Dodge/Ram toolbox body.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 611  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.