Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 667  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

The problems are going to be how you get the electricity. Allready California had to reverse closing coal fired power plants. Thats because they could not provide enough electricity at night during there most recent heat wave. Add in all new electric vehicles over there and i think they will have a mess. You have to sort out the supply and demand first.

Yah could be. I’m not up on this issue and it’s not an issue in our province. But this is being addressed all over the world so it’s obviously a solvable problem. Electric vehicles will add about 1 percent additional load per year over the next couple of decades. Most modern nations will figure it out.

Most modren nations use nuclear power. We havent.

Hard to say. Generally speaking nuclear is declining in the world due to costs. Companies and governments are starting to realize the long term costs that hundreds of generations in the future to deal with decommissions sites etc. Lots of interesting reading on the subject.

https://www.worldfinance.com/markets/nuc........ne-as-renewable-alternatives-steam-ahead

Oh. And the world leader in production of nuclear power is the US.

* This post was edited 11/20/20 06:42pm by Reisender *

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

The problems are going to be how you get the electricity. Allready California had to reverse closing coal fired power plants. Thats because they could not provide enough electricity at night during there most recent heat wave. Add in all new electric vehicles over there and i think they will have a mess. You have to sort out the supply and demand first.
Coal is all but shut down in CA. There is no reopening of coal fired plants.

There has never been an issue of overnight electric capacity in CA. The issue of inadequate supply has happened in the late evening when solar is decreasing, natural gas plants are ramping up unable to keep up with air conditioning. Typically this crunch comes between 7pm and 9pm during statewide heatwaves.

The most recent power curtailment due to supply was an evening when wind power was lower than usual and a natural gas plant went off line unexpectedly. This brought rotating one hour cut in power to some residents. These outages did not continue through the night.

However there are more outages during heat waves due to local distribution equipment failures. Many of these repairs to upgrade the system lasted several days during the heat wave. Workers were brought in from out of state to help with the workload.

Here is the real time supply data: (note very little coal)

http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/supply.html

Even on a mild day like today there are 50+ outages affecting several thousand people just in SoCal Edison territory. Not for lack of electricity.

https://www.sce.com/outage-center/check-outage-status

You right, ot was the natural gas plants that have to stay open now. My mistake. Its not a distribution problem but a storage problem. I didnt read your links. Dont have to. Solar needs to be stored or supplemented at night. Kinda of a no brainer on that one. If most cars charge at night there will be more demand.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Yah could be. I’m not up on this issue and it’s not an issue in our province. But this is being addressed all over the world so it’s obviously a solvable problem. Electric vehicles will add about 1 percent additional load per year over the next couple of decades. Most modern nations will figure it out.

Hard to say. Generally speaking nuclear is declining in the world due to costs. Companies and governments are starting to realize the long term costs that hundreds of generations in the future to deal with decommissions sites etc. Lots of interesting reading on the subject.

https://www.worldfinance.com/markets/nuc........ne-as-renewable-alternatives-steam-ahead

Not a lot or real up to date data on this one. Nuclear is about 10 percent of total electrical power in the world. Renewable energy is not so much. So there is much more fossil fuels etc. Is it declining, thats up to you to decide. Without a fuel to take its place, i dont think so. Your articals talk more on what it costs after a disaster then how many people use it. And more cou tries would use it if they had the technology to do so. We stoped building reacters in the 70s? But places in Europe continued and get the majority of there ellectric from it.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

And the same goes for the damage from battery waste, mining and the way you get the power from it, lots of intresting articals on the subject.
https://youmatter.world/en/are-electric-cars-eco-friendly-and-zero-emission-vehicles-26440/

https://unctad.org/news/developing-countries-pay-environmental-cost-electric-car-batteries

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Hard to say. Generally speaking nuclear is declining in the world due to costs. Lots of interesting reading on the subject.

And the same goes for the damage from battery waste, mining and the way you get the power from it, lots of intresting articals on the subject.
https://youmatter.world/en/are-electric-cars-eco-friendly-and-zero-emission-vehicles-26440/

https://unctad.org/news/developing-countries-pay-environmental-cost-electric-car-batteries

"Companies and governments are starting to realize the long term costs that hundreds of generations in the future to deal with decommissions sites etc."

And yet the same people that warn us about the hazards of nuclear tell us that there won't be a future if we don't stop making carbon dioxide NOW. What difference does it make 1000 years in the future if nobody is there to see it? What is the advantage to shutting down nuclear plants in California now vs 40 years from now? The DOD has a stockpile of nuclear power plants removed from retired ships that could easily be put to work making CO2 free energy NOW, no 20 years in the future. And these reactors work in all climate conditions 24/7 with a little scheduled maintenance.

My son just got about 100 slightly used solar panels free because they were in the way and are hazardous waste if they are not put to use. If they are already that hard to get rid of how is that different from nuclear? And these panels are only a few years old.

Also, we need at least some power that will be reliable in natural catastrophes like those that have happened several times in recorded history and are a real threat. Solar panels would have been useless for several years starting in the year 526 and this could happen today with little warning and nothing we could do to stop it.

526, the worst year in recorded history

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Hard to say. Generally speaking nuclear is declining in the world due to costs. Lots of interesting reading on the subject.

"Companies and governments are starting to realize the long term costs that hundreds of generations in the future to deal with decommissions sites etc."

And yet the same people that warn us about the hazards of nuclear tell us that there won't be a future if we don't stop making carbon dioxide NOW. What difference does it make 1000 years in the future if nobody is there to see it? What is the advantage to shutting down nuclear plants in California now vs 40 years from now? The DOD has a stockpile of nuclear power plants removed from retired ships that could easily be put to work making CO2 free energy NOW, no 20 years in the future. And these reactors work in all climate conditions 24/7 with a little scheduled maintenance.

My son just got about 100 slightly used solar panels free because they were in the way and are hazardous waste if they are not put to use. If they are already that hard to get rid of how is that different from nuclear? And these panels are only a few years old.

Also, we need at least some power that will be reliable in natural catastrophes like those that have happened several times in recorded history and are a real threat. Solar panels would have been useless for several years starting in the year 526 and this could happen today with little warning and nothing we could do to stop it.

526, the worst year in recorded history

All good questions, I have no answers. I have no back ground in this stuff.

Guessing old solar panels are easier to deal with than spent fuel rods though. No idea really.

Cheers.

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google ANEEL Fuel, it appears to make Nuclear a real option for the future. Lower operating temps and up to 80% less waste, not able to be used for weapons stock.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

Google ANEEL Fuel, it appears to make Nuclear a real option for the future. Lower operating temps and up to 80% less waste, not able to be used for weapons stock.

Fusion does not produce as much radioactive waste. But nobody is interested anymore in investing in nuclear reactors and Westinghouse has been substantially weakened financially.

Even intuitively, there is more waste and pollution in ICE and lead-acid batteries. EV and lithium batteries have so much valuable materials in it that it would be foolish not to recycle most of it's components. And If eventually the million-mile batteries comes into fruition, then it's all moot and academic.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember back when nukes were supposed to produce energy so cheap there would be no reason to meter the usage. Now it is the most expensive to develop and produces waste that has no secure method of storage or treatment.

Solar panels collect fusion power just fine. Panels should last as long as the typical design of any power plant of 50 years. Waste of all things is an issue... at least the panels are not radio active. I do hope recycling of all these energy related items improves over time.

Worst case it will be a noble try using the best science and technology that we currently have. Bring on the Tesla Semi.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 667  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.