Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 183  
Prev  |  Next
Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The brakes work fine if the driver actually uses the brake peddle.
That is all I am saying.

Tesla owners say you're wrong!
Tesla Model 3 owner wrote:

I agree. The brakes absolutely SUCK!!! BMW's brakes are much better. I had to slam on the brakes yesterday from about 80 to 0 to avoid an object...In my BMW I would have 100% stopped with several feet to spare/. I ended up having to steer and avoid the object or else I would have hit it!

Just for fun, here is another:

Tesla 3 owner wrote:

The braking is not as strong as my old Audi Q7 but they seem "ok"... I wouldn't rate them as the worst of any car in the same category... Only once I had to step really hard on the brakes to avoid a frontal collision but the car warned me early enough.

Remember, this is a Tesla forum! Fan bois live here and this is some of their comments!

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please check with them if this is before or after the software update.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safe........-cr-recommendation-after-braking-update/

* This post was edited 07/12/18 02:17pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safe........-cr-recommendation-after-braking-update/

Wait what?

First you say "the brakes work fine if the driver actually uses the brake peddle." Then we find out it they really don't. Then you linked an upgrade for the POS brakes this car had.

If it worked fine from the factory why did they have to upgrade the braking system? Oh that's right; because Elon released a car with a POS braking system to begin with. Much like the POS bread board in the door that's not even sealed from water.

Got it! [emoticon] LOL!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth on two different issues.

First was an older Model S rental not a new Model 3. And it had to do with the automatic collision avoidance system slowing but not stopping in time to avoid a test collision. I will repeat... if the driver had used the brake peddle the vehicle would have stopped fine. NO vehicle is designed to avoid all possible frontal impact in all situations. The Tesla did slow automatically to minimize the impact as designed.

The second braking issue has to do with an initial brake test that was eliminated as redundant. Then it morphed into the initial Model 3 cars needed some update to the braking parameters that was resolved with an automatic update to the software.

Either way the brakes are all working fine at this point.
I will repeat... did you even read the articles?

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 'real' issue is that Tesla decided to release into production an Alpha...maybe a case can be made a Beta version to the public

Really ???...all it took was an over the air download to 'fix' the poor braking?

Really????

Then does that mean ***...ALL...*** Model 3's were updated ? What about the ones shipping AFTER this update??...was their DB updated on the fly and the newer units taken care ? How do you know...is there is revision controlled Software OS/Driver number?

Another aspect of volume production...heck even small volume products with potential maiming/killing folks require tight revision control (AKA ISO-9000 compliant)

Regression testing anyone?...especially with all of the software revisions am being told they make on the fly...anyone know what regression testing is for the world of software? Even tighter for real time applications (and also know many of their coders do NOT even know what real time software is) and those who do...are clueless on what level of real time their driver flags set on the master...another heck, one guy doesn't know which level slave his driver in the scheme of things...

Plus...ask if Tesla ran that update through DOT's organizations, as their approval to field these vehicles was based on whatever version they recorded/documented/etc for their certification tests

Then wonder how Model 3's production line will do for the rest of the year on 'temporary' building permits from The City of Fremont...'Temporary' production equipment that had been sitting fallow out in the field and parking lot...now that the "robed Peter to pay Paul" workers are going back to Model X & S production...etc, etc...

Plus, Musk has taken his eye off of the Model 3 production issue(s) to work on saving those boys...and the latest in this AM's RSS feed...he has promised to 'fix' the Flint Mich water issue(s) on HIS OWN DIME...that is a good thing, IMHO, saving the folks of Flint & the cost overhead for the decades of health issues to come...

time2roll wrote:

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

How do you know...is there is revision controlled Software OS/Driver number?
Yes but I am not going to look it up.

Even my Toyota/Tesla has update versions that can be verified.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

NJRVer wrote:

Supposedly they are a testing company but they won't reveal just how they test. Yeah I would trust them, sure.
A legitimate testing company like Consumer Reports and other car mags let you know how they set their tests up. Remember all the flack Consumer Reports took for their rollover testing?

Fine; have it your way. Since you think Consumer Reports is a "legitimate" testing company (your words not mine) we will go with what they have to say:

Consumer Reports wrote:

In May, US magazine Consumer Reports wrote an article claiming that the Model 3 sedan brakes slower than a pick-up truck.

"slower than a pick-up!!!!!" LOL Now there is a real high tech car for you! "Slower than a pick-up!" LMAO Way to kick your product out the door with "pick-up like" braking Elon!

What does another auto mag say? Lets look:
Car and Driver wrote:

Another publication, Car and Driver, said it has never seen such “inconsistent braking,” which is worse than some trucks have, said the publication’s testing director, K.C. Colwell.

"worse than some trucks!!!" Just what I want on my car; "inconsistent braking." LOL Way to go Elon! Your cars braking is on par with a pick-up! Woooo Hooooo! Way to kill it Elon!

Way to set the bar about as high as a national limbo competition! [emoticon]

Oh, by the way. About the Semi! Don't want to pop your balloon but....POP! This guy has been doing some of the same math I have been doing. Enjoy!

Nothing more than a software update. How many auto manufacturers these days have to do countless software updates to their models?

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/tesla-says-it-will-issue-fix-for-model-3-brakes/

Note where CR states that they regularly talk to manufacturers about their testing procedures, unlike that phony company in Eorope.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I'm glad you admit the Tesla released junk to the public. If CR did not call them on it the public would still be driving cars on public streets that have junkie brakes.

Do you think truckers are going to put up with this type of stuff? Believe me; they won't!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/18 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe. Although seems a bit odd to have it all done and fixed in a week. Probable Tesla was already working on the issue. And no reports of accidents to the this issue so calling it 'junkie brakes' would seem to be an overstatement.

For anyone that has actually driven an EV for some time I believe they will say the Tesla Semi drivers will be amazed at the improved braking and speed control systems of an electric vehicle.

Time will tell.... 18 months to go.

Elon continues to fess up to being new at this and wrong in some of the automated production.
We were huge idiots and didn't know what we were doing

Moving forward should prove more productive in the future. I expect far less automation with the lower volume Semi.

Model 3 estimated production continues to drop after the surge. Now 3908
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

* This post was last edited 07/13/18 12:08pm by time2roll *   View edit history

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/18 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

For anyone that has actually driven an EV for some time I believe they will say the Tesla Semi drivers will be amazed at the improved braking and speed control systems of an electric vehicle.

Dunno, could happen with any car of any brand, but with drive settings called 'ludicrous' and 'insane'........

A Model S driven by a teenager that piled into a masonry wall in Broward County back in May was traveling at an estimated speed of 114 mph. Kid was challenging laws of physics with his buddy and didn't live to tell about it.

Incidentally, subsequent coverage of the accident revealed the fire was (with difficulty) extinguished at the scene, and the battery or what was left of it reignited a second time when the wrecker was unloading what was left of the car in an impound yard.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 183  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS