Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 698  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/15/17 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Musk is farming the government for money. If it wasn't for the billions of dollars that the government gave him, we would not be having this discussion. [emoticon] [emoticon]
Tesla paid back the loan. Customers get a tax credit for buying from ALL EV manufacturers and the credit is limited. No-one is writing a check to Elon.

OK the battery plant received some state incentives... same as other companies get when they negotiate a deal. And several were in the bidding.

Space-X is a whole different ballgame to reduce the cost of launching into space.

Let me know when GM will be paying back the government in full plus interest. GM played the government as fools to put money in just before declaring BK. At least Tesla/Space-X are American companies... plenty goes outside too.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/17 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John & Angela wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Tesla can't even make one full lap around Nuremburg at full power in their small light car, and yet they are going to make a Semi Truck? Good luck with that!

Musk is farming the government for money. If it wasn't for the billions of dollars that the government gave him, we would not be having this discussion. [emoticon] [emoticon]


Tesla makes a race car? What small light car are you reffering to. They make family sedans as far as I know and none of which were designed for racing. Is this a prototype you are referring to?


I'm talking about THIS.

Small light as opposed to an 80,000 lb semi that is going to have to put out about the same amount of power. This thing couldn't even make it around 1 lap before it de-rated. Now that will go over good with a big rig driver! [emoticon]

You need a big, big, big, big duty cycle in a semi. The Tesla car couldn't even make it 1 lap before it de-rated. Sure, you can put more coolers and heat sinks and bigger battery packs and all of that junk but that's going to take away from payload and adds BIG bucks in cost. Payload is a big rig drivers mantra.

One more time. Musk is farming the government for money.


~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~


"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln


John / Angela

World Travelers.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/18/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/17 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

John & Angela wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Tesla can't even make one full lap around Nuremburg at full power in their small light car, and yet they are going to make a Semi Truck? Good luck with that!

Musk is farming the government for money. If it wasn't for the billions of dollars that the government gave him, we would not be having this discussion. [emoticon] [emoticon]


Tesla makes a race car? What small light car are you reffering to. They make family sedans as far as I know and none of which were designed for racing. Is this a prototype you are referring to?


The Model S has been touted for its performance. The fastest lap around the Nordschleife at Nurburgring is the Holy Grail for performance car bragging rights. The OP is saying the Model S can't make a full throttle lap around its 20.8 KM.

Last I heard the current champ for 4 door sedans is the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. It and the Porsche Panamera Turbo were having a back and forth.


Ahhh. I get it now. I did a little googling and looked up the event. It was done in a plain jane S60 Tesla. So the slowest cheapest Tesla. Definetly not a competitor in that kind of environment. So yah that sounds about right. They are not designed with the kind of cooling for that kind of situation. The software limits the current at Temperatures that would be generated on track conditions. . A lot of EV's are actually like that. I think both of ours are like that as well. I don't think Tesla has done much in the way of racing development etc. It would be fun to see though. I know that the EV racing thing is starting to get popular.


2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/17 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You completely missed the point of my post. I wasn't about a race car!

Tesla can't even make it ONE lap under full power in their little tiny light car at The Ring. How do you think they are going to fair with an 80,000 lb load going up a 7% grade for a few miles?

I wish I could have figured out how to make the government give me 4 billion of it's tax payers dollars. I could be a billionaire too!

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/15/17 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

How do you think they are going to fair with an 80,000 lb load going up a 7% grade for a few miles?
I think the Tesla truck will do just fine on that hill.
The only question is how much better it will perform vs the current diesels.

John / Angela

World Travelers.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/18/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/17 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

You completely missed the point of my post. I wasn't about a race car!

Tesla can't even make it ONE lap under full power in their little tiny light car at The Ring. How do you think they are going to fair with an 80,000 lb load going up a 7% grade for a few miles?

I wish I could have figured out how to make the government give me 4 billion of it's tax payers dollars. I could be a billionaire too!


Hmmm. I think I may not be following. Are you suggesting that the Tesla engineers are going to use the same components and engineering to build a large truck as they do for their 5 or 7 passenger sedan?? I'm not sure I follow. Surely you are not suggesting this. What did I miss?

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/17 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's obvious that the mindset of most people on Rv.net is old school petroleum and not being able to think out of the box. Elon Musk has opened a Pandora's box in terms of energy. It's been a long time coming and it will come. Look back at what people said about solar here on Rv.net just 10 years ago.


2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/17 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Tesla can't even make one full lap around Nuremburg at full power in their small light car, and yet they are going to make a Semi Truck? Good luck with that!

Musk is farming the government for money. If it wasn't for the billions of dollars that the government gave him, we would not be having this discussion. [emoticon] [emoticon]

2017 Tesla Model S P100D First Test: A New Record — 0-60 MPH in 2.28 Seconds!

Show me a link to the billions given to him.


2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT


Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/17 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John & Angela wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

You completely missed the point of my post. I wasn't about a race car!

Tesla can't even make it ONE lap under full power in their little tiny light car at The Ring. How do you think they are going to fair with an 80,000 lb load going up a 7% grade for a few miles?

I wish I could have figured out how to make the government give me 4 billion of it's tax payers dollars. I could be a billionaire too!


Hmmm. I think I may not be following. Are you suggesting that the Tesla engineers are going to use the same components and engineering to build a large truck as they do for their 5 or 7 passenger sedan?? I'm not sure I follow. Surely you are not suggesting this. What did I miss?


You missed the point that batteries are heavy and they don't scale well at all. Batteries have about 10% of storage energy of gasoline and diesel has about 15% more energy than gasoline.

I said it before: Weight is the mantra of semi owners. I know friends that don't have spare tires because it is so important. To make any range and any energy storage capacity you're going to need a lot of batteries..............and what are batteries again? Yep, HEAVY.

Oh, and batteries are expensive............lets not forget about that. Very expensive! A friend just replaced the batteries in his Prius. $4,500 from the dealer! [emoticon]

So, one more time: Tesla can't even get around a 1 lap course without being de-rated. Can they fix this? Sure! Put more batteries in the semi to give it more range and put more cooling in the semi to give it a better duty cycle. And put bigger motors in the semi to give it more of a duty cycle.

But what is bad about batteries again? Yep, weight and cost. And what are semi owners concerned about most? Yep, weight and cost.

Let me rub my crystal ball and see what is going to happen when Musk comes out for his dog and pony show in a few months. He will talk about how green his trucks are bla, bla, bla..........he won't talk about range or he will slant his talk as in: "my trucks will have a range "UP TOO" x amount of miles."

His semi might be good to haul around popcorn peanuts or insulation from town to town, but that's about it. [emoticon]

And let me be perfectly clear. I'm not anti-EV. In fact a few months ago I was thinking about a Volt. They would work good for me for what I do. Problem is, they have a lot of problems (like Tesla) and GM is talking about dropping them. That tells you something right there.

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/17 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8.1 Van wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Tesla can't even make one full lap around Nuremburg at full power in their small light car, and yet they are going to make a Semi Truck? Good luck with that!

Musk is farming the government for money. If it wasn't for the billions of dollars that the government gave him, we would not be having this discussion. [emoticon] [emoticon]

2017 Tesla Model S P100D First Test: A New Record — 0-60 MPH in 2.28 Seconds!

Show me a link to the billions given to him.
Here you go. Tesla farming the government. Pretty cool hu?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 698  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.