Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 593  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back on topic. Interesting link on the Semi.

I still think they’ll build it at Giga 1.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/04/tesla-sem........totypes-gigafactory-1-production-rumors/

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You think Tesla customers all are physically present while the cars roll off the line and have already prepaid for the vehicle so they can just roll home immediately? A bit of a stretch don’t you think?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, that is pretty much how it works under Tusk’s process that was touted to change the automotive world

Lost to Tusk and most of his Fan base is that the dealer network was NOT just middle men feeding on OEM’s profit margins...but...actually performing a service to both the OEMs and customers.

Lost in that are the decades of abuse ‘some’ of the dealers are guilty of. There are many good dealers out there.

Now Tusk has to figure out HOW2 cut out the dealer network and still provide service to the customers.

One, just one, area is the parts and service departments of dealers. A mobile service/parts van did work during the early years....but...once the volume rose to some point, they became bottle necks. Betcha their cost started to go past a dealers stock/service departments of a traditional dealership

A few independent service shops I know....have tried to become authorized service centers. They all have given up because of the onerous contract and percentage Tusk mandates. There are a few now, but don’t know them and see that they are the bigger shops

Parts....that guy I know has been waiting a few years for his 3rd brake light...he has it in writing from the initial service call...even has it in writing that they are back ordered. Verbally told that they needed them for new builds...plus they told him that there were still enough LEDs lighting up, so no safety issue

Parts and service continue to be. An after thought...

Dealers ‘buy’ their stock...another dealer network ‘thing’ Tusk seemingly did NOT figure into his business model....so Tusk is ‘stuck’ with stockpiling them on his nickel. Also, dealerships have master planners that are experts of their local customers. They project and order vehicles on a horizon and adjust that accordingly...Tusk does NOT have that detailed vision...of which he must if he continues to think going direct instead through a dealer network

Ditto for dealership stock. They ‘buy’ their stock and order according to local demand....that Tusk has no clue on

Tusk is no longer playing within a speciality automotive business...but...with the big boys now. Very telling that he does NOT get it

Tusk ‘had’ a chance with his show rooms, of which I thought he’d finally get the above and turn them into Tesla owned dealerships with full service and parts...but...Tusk notified the world that he was closing them...to then figure out how dumb that was and tweeted a few days later that he will keep ‘some’ open, but no news which ones to his employees and public

So, no it is not a stretch...as that is exactly what is happening...

time2roll wrote:

You think Tesla customers all are physically present while the cars roll off the line and have already prepaid for the vehicle so they can just roll home immediately? A bit of a stretch don’t you think?

* This post was edited 04/05/19 05:54pm by BenK *

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Back on topic. Interesting link on the Semi.

I still think they’ll build it at Giga 1.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/04/tesla-sem........totypes-gigafactory-1-production-rumors/

[emoticon] Interesting? The same two prototypes that have been MIA for over a year not testing in the real world. How many miles are on the test mules?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some more interesting reading on strategic lithium battery supply. Generally speaking I get the impression that many Americans and certainly the media, US car companies not to mention large oil companies would like to see Tesla fail or at very minimum relocate to another country. Maybe this bunch will find a strategic reason to develop electric transportation in the west. Right now Tesla dominates but take them out of the mix and outside of China the next major players are all in Europe Korea and Japan. And there governments are all digging in behind them.

Jmho.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-supp........w-ev-supply-chain-push-sets-sights-china

* This post was edited 04/05/19 08:27pm by Reisender *

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Utter incompetence or down right VIN fraud?

I guess things like this happened when you're running a chop shop of new cars. Pulling parts off of one car and putting them on another.

Maybe DOT needs to check into this?

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/19 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I guess things like this happened when you're running a chop shop of new cars. Pulling parts off of one car and putting them on another.

LOL...thanks for posting that. What popped in my head immediately is "I am trying to buy a vehicle and the same people who put the important parts of the thing together can't get the vin badge right". It might make me reconsider the purchase altogether.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some states will not register a vehicle that does not have matching VINs. In addition, certain components have a portion of the VIN stamped into them, or a sticker that is difficult to remove. This is actually one of the FMVSS requirements.

As an OEM, Tesla is a joke. It's well known as amateur hour, but this is just plain old stupid.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Vehicle issue was discovered by Tesla and not released. Explain how this is fraud.

DOT? Who will file a complaint?

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Yes, that's pretty much word for word the way Tusk said his company would work:

#1. Get rid of those nasty car sales man. (Our cars sell themselves)

#2. Get rid of those stupid test drives. (our cars sell themselves)

#3. Get rid of those stupid car dealerships. (just a few taps of your smart phone and you too can buy a 65K car)

#4. You buy the car and we deliver the car to your doorstep.

#5. Get rid of service centers. (our cars are so reliable that we don't need those stupid things anymore!! Parts? We don't need no stinking parts!!)(oops, that didn't work out)

#6. Have service vans do all work at your home. Snow, rain, cold or whatever, we will work on your Tesla in your driveway.

So ya Time; Tesla was supposed to change the way the public bought cars. Guess what? It didn't work. It's sad now because a lot of Americans are going to be out of work. Not so bad because Tusk was going to move the factory to China anyway and kill off everybody's job here. [emoticon]

Now Tesla has a fleet of DIESEL trucks sitting moth balled at the factory because there is no demand for their cars. There is no delivery problems like Tusk has stated. The fleet of car carriers is just sitting idle.

At least Tusk could show their electric truck driving up in front of someone's house and dropping off their band new car. Oh that's right; they can't because Tesla's truck is nothing more than a movie prop.
BTW 8.1, I'm still waiting for the video of that electric truck delivering those cars. When are you going to post it up?

Here is a picture of Tesla's delivery problems because there is a truck car carrier shortage: [emoticon]

[image]

Anybody know where Tusk's car carrier trailers are being built? [emoticon] [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 593  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.