Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 703  
Prev  |  Next
John / Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

John & Angela wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

You completely missed the point of my post. I wasn't about a race car!

Tesla can't even make it ONE lap under full power in their little tiny light car at The Ring. How do you think they are going to fair with an 80,000 lb load going up a 7% grade for a few miles?

I wish I could have figured out how to make the government give me 4 billion of it's tax payers dollars. I could be a billionaire too!

Hmmm. I think I may not be following. Are you suggesting that the Tesla engineers are going to use the same components and engineering to build a large truck as they do for their 5 or 7 passenger sedan?? I'm not sure I follow. Surely you are not suggesting this. What did I miss?

You missed the point that batteries are heavy and they don't scale well at all. Batteries have about 10% of storage energy of gasoline and diesel has about 15% more energy than gasoline.

I said it before: Weight is the mantra of semi owners. I know friends that don't have spare tires because it is so important. To make any range and any energy storage capacity you're going to need a lot of batteries..............and what are batteries again? Yep, HEAVY.

Oh, and batteries are expensive............lets not forget about that. Very expensive! A friend just replaced the batteries in his Prius. $4,500 from the dealer! [emoticon]

So, one more time: Tesla can't even get around a 1 lap course without being de-rated. Can they fix this? Sure! Put more batteries in the semi to give it more range and put more cooling in the semi to give it a better duty cycle. And put bigger motors in the semi to give it more of a duty cycle.

But what is bad about batteries again? Yep, weight and cost. And what are semi owners concerned about most? Yep, weight and cost.

Let me rub my crystal ball and see what is going to happen when Musk comes out for his dog and pony show in a few months. He will talk about how green his trucks are bla, bla, bla..........he won't talk about range or he will slant his talk as in: "my trucks will have a range "UP TOO" x amount of miles."

His semi might be good to haul around popcorn peanuts or insulation from town to town, but that's about it. [emoticon]

And let me be perfectly clear. I'm not anti-EV. In fact a few months ago I was thinking about a Volt. They would work good for me for what I do. Problem is, they have a lot of problems (like Tesla) and GM is talking about dropping them. That tells you something right there.

Well, I'm not sure how to respond to this. You seem pretty fixated with a family sedan not holding up to race car standards and seem convinced that capable engineers are not able to solve any of the issues you see are pertinent. I know little about any of this so I'll sit this one out. I do know a Tesla SUV does quite well pulling its rated load (5000pounds) under all normal conditions. Of course at a reduced range. I'll leave it at that.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/17 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

8.1 Van wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Tesla can't even make one full lap around Nuremburg at full power in their small light car, and yet they are going to make a Semi Truck? Good luck with that!

Musk is farming the government for money. If it wasn't for the billions of dollars that the government gave him, we would not be having this discussion. [emoticon] [emoticon]

2017 Tesla Model S P100D First Test: A New Record — 0-60 MPH in 2.28 Seconds!

Show me a link to the billions given to him.
Here you go. Tesla farming the government. Pretty cool hu?

What's the point of the article?

No different than gov't subsidizing a new Amazon warehouse, or a Hyundai assembly plant, or giving land away for a pipeline. These different places wanted his plants and made him the offers.

Do I agree with it? Depends on the situation.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/17 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

NJRVer wrote:

They will be all over the roads in 25 years.
You mean like all the electric cars there are now? Or all the flying cars that Mechanix Illustrated predicted?

Batteries and battery maintaining systems have a long way to go before its possible. Nothing says they won't make it, but there's no guarantee that they will.

The more people say "can't be done".....

the more drive and determination from the likes of the Elon Musk's in this world.

"You can't go to the moon!"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/17 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tax credits to customers apply to ALL solar companies.
Tax credits for purchasing an EV go to ALL automotive manufacturers.

This is not a Tesla subsidy. ALL participants get same. ALL are welcome to join.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

John / Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The tax credits to customers apply to ALL solar companies.
Tax credits for purchasing an EV go to ALL automotive manufacturers.

This is not a Tesla subsidy. ALL participants get same. ALL are welcome to join.

Very true. The other thing is how do we define a subsidy. Is a trillion dollar multi national Middle East war a subsidy? How much do nations pay every year to keep oil shipping lanes secure every year. Should oil companies be made responsable to pay security costs? If so, what would the cost of a barrel of oil be??

I think governments have a role to play in the development of some technologies. Just staying the course and burning fuel until it is all gone doesn't seem to be a good way forward.

JMHO

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8.1 Van wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Tesla can't even make one full lap around Nuremburg at full power in their small light car, and yet they are going to make a Semi Truck? Good luck with that!

Musk is farming the government for money. If it wasn't for the billions of dollars that the government gave him, we would not be having this discussion. [emoticon] [emoticon]

0 to 60, then what? We know electric motors make massive torque from zero RPM so they are going to put up impressive acceleration times but the S can't go flat out for one lap on a 14 mlle road course. Of course road cars are seldom driven flat out but it does point to the limitations of present EV technology.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

John / Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

8.1 Van wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

0 to 60, then what? We know electric motors make massive torque from zero RPM so they are going to put up impressive acceleration times but the S can't go flat out for one lap on a 14 mlle road course. Of course road cars are seldom driven flat out but it does point to the limitations of present EV technology.

Is that really a realistic limitation though. Just sayin.

* This post was edited 09/15/17 09:54pm by an administrator/moderator *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/17 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has a 100D been put on The Ring?

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8.1 Van wrote:

What's the point of the article?

No different than gov't subsidizing a new Amazon warehouse, or a Hyundai assembly plant, or giving land away for a pipeline. These different places wanted his plants and made him the offers.

Do I agree with it? Depends on the situation.

No point at all. You want a link to Musk farming the government and I linked you up/ your request.

Personally I don't think we should be subsidizing any billionaires or billionaire companies. But that's just me.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John & Angela wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

8.1 Van wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Is that really a realistic limitation though. Just sayin.

It is when you are in a semi towing 80,000 lbs for hours on end. And this is what this thread is about.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 703  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.