cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surge protector/ EMS

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who uses a surge protector/EMS and which did you choose? I am interested in a 30 amp unit and I noticed the prices range from affordable to very expensive.
This past trip our AC, microwave, & coffee pot kept blowing the breaker at the pole. I suspect the pole as the fault, but invested too much money to guess. Should I get a surge protector/EMS? And which one is best without refinancing the B+? What should I look for in deciding?

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
14 REPLIES 14

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Good peace of mind, I meant.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought one, after looking at the other brands and seeing how much more PI offers. We don't plug in often, but our usage behavior is changing so this is good passed if mind. Thanks for the tip
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
While everyone is saying that the EMS won't help with the OP overloading the system, one with a display, such as the HW30C will show the user the amps they are currently drawing and after experimenting with the various appliances, they will quickly know if they can turn something on, or if they first need to turn something else off.

I find the display invaluable for visualizing what was happening to the power coming into the coach.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
rich85704 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

With those 3 things on at the same time, I suspect you over loaded the 30 amp breaker.
an EMS isn't going to help this.

This is absolutely the case. I completely missed this in my initial response. The OP should certainly get a good protector like the various PI units mentioned here, but it won't solve the problem of simple amperage overload. I doubt ANY 30-amp electrical system will handle the load described.

R

AS mentioned it is a good idea to have an EMS. However the OP simply overloaded the circuit by using too many appliances.
EMS will not make a difference in this case. The OP needs to learn you cannot you everything at once. You will need to practice energy management techniques and be mindful of which appliances are in use.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

With those 3 things on at the same time, I suspect you over loaded the 30 amp breaker.

This is absolutely the case. I completely missed this in my initial response. The OP should certainly get a good protector like the various PI units mentioned here, but it won't solve the problem of simple amperage overload. I doubt ANY 30-amp electrical system will handle the load described.

R
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
as said before, do NOT get a $99 special, spend $250 and up for a decent one.
look for one with a "bypass" feature like mine has.
bumpy

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Who uses a surge protector/EMS and which did you choose? I am interested in a 30 amp unit and I noticed the prices range from affordable to very expensive.
This past trip our AC, microwave, & coffee pot kept blowing the breaker at the pole. I suspect the pole as the fault, but invested too much money to guess. Should I get a surge protector/EMS? And which one is best without refinancing the B+? What should I look for in deciding?

thanks

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
You don't want a cheap one. There is too much at risk. It would cost a lot to replace/repair all your major appliances.
Progresssive Industries has the best specs, great customer service and a lifetime warranty.

x4 I bought the other brand first big mistake
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp1 wrote:
This past trip our AC, microwave, & coffee pot kept blowing the breaker at the pole.
Along with electric water heat and fridge it is very easy to trip a 30 amp breaker.

Even the full function EMS will not help with too many amps loaded.

I use a hardwire PI EMS with remote display that would help you manage the load in addition to protecting the RV.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased the Progressive Industries HW50C. They make one for 30 amps. HW30C. Expensive but has a monitor and will not turn your power on if there is a problem. It is the hard wired model. I don't have to worry about it walking off.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the Progressive Industries EMS. In addition to the surge protection, it is important to get over/under voltage, open neutral, open ground, and reverse polarity protection as well. no matter what brand you buy. Low voltage can damage items with induction motors such as your A/C. If someone miswires an RV outlet as if it were a dryer outlet (240 vs 120) it can burn out every piece of electrical equipment in your B+.

Installed my PI unit in 2015 and have had several occasions where it has disconnected my MH due to low voltage in a campground. Beats the heck out of possibly burning up the A/C. If you get the PI unit, get the remote display with it too. Is cheap and it shows you the current voltage, current amp draw, and the reason for disconnecting if it detects a fault.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Spend the money for a Progressive Ind unit and it will pay for itself should it ever be needed. One zap from a power pole screw up could wipe out All your electronics in a second. Let the Progressive unit do the work.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
I agree wholeheartedly with the advice not to get a cheap one. I bought a Progressive Industries unit

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT30C-Portable-Protector/dp/B003AL23TC/ref=pd_sbs_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=546B1W4C91Y81HARDE7R

and have never regretted it.

Rich
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
You don't want a cheap one. There is too much at risk. It would cost a lot to replace/repair all your major appliances.
Progresssive Industries has the best specs, great customer service and a lifetime warranty.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter