cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice - Full Type RV (One Location)

jnschult
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, just wanted to get opinions and insight into what I am getting myself into.

I bought myself a 5th wheel camper (2011 Keystone Laredo 266rl) that I fell in love with and was a great price. I fully intend to use the camper as a house. The trailer will not be moved (for the time being/ several years - my guess) and will be hooked up to septic, well, power and internet on my private property. Within a year or two I do intend to build an accessory building which would include a full size bath, room for a w/d, large fridge and general storage as well as a covered 'carport' for the trailer if possible (but that's down the road).

Is there any insight or advice one can offer concerning things I should do, products to buy to make full time RV'ing at a Single 'Destination' easier, more comforatable, etc.

I've already bought a new mattress, I intend to remove one of the chairs for space for a desk, I intend to find a way to have a direct wire internet connection inside the trailer along with wireless rather than wireless from an outside source (hopefully I'll figure that one out).

Some things I've been wondering about are with direct access to septic, basically at a permanent home site is there any thoughts? I've read that normally you keep both gray and black tanks closed and flush the pipe with dumping the gray water after you dump the black, but I was considering leaving the gray water open and getting something like the "Sewer Solution" or maybe an RV Macerator Pump for the black tank emptying/cleaning when its full.

While I have put alot of thought into this I obviously don't have the experience and would like any tips/tricks/hints/etc. I have plenty of additional questions/thoughts/ideas that would turn this into a book rather than a post so, again, I'm just hoping for general insight/advice.

Joel
Central North Carolina Area
4 REPLIES 4

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have used both the sewer solution and a macerator pump and would recommend either, but don't know if needed for your situation. install a black tank sprayer, let the grey water drain 24/7/365, and periodically empty/flush the black tank.
bumpy

jnschult
Explorer
Explorer
I have definitely heard about the cone of yuck, although I'm hoping I don't have to spray inside the toilet to often, the camper I bought has an exterior hose attachment to spray the waste tank.

I'm not to concerned about zoning/etc. I do know full time RVing is not legal in my area, but I am not visible to anyone, and the one neighbor who is aware (but can't see) has unpermitted structures and is fine with anything I do; I can use the property as a home address (has a house on the property) or my parents who live a mile or two away.

I have looked into hoses pre-wrapped with heating cables (or I can do it myself too) I wasn't aware they had heating pads for the tanks, I'm glad you told me (Thank You); I definitely planned for my plot to be in the shade, it does receive some sun but not all day, and if I put a 'carport' above it, it may reduce the amount of light I receive but will help with cooling and keep maintenance down.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If you aren't going to remove the tanks entirely, let them fill at least 3/4 full and then dump. If you don't the solids will pile up in a pyramid under the toilet. Eventually, it can block new deposits.

The other consideration is zoning laws. If it's going to be visible to the authorities or you list it as you official home address, make sure they allow living in a trailer before you put a lot of money & effort into this.

Otherwise, cladding around the bottom. Even in the Carolina's you can get freezing temps and this will help. Also consider heating pads for the tanks and plumbing that is exposed.

If you can shade the unit, that would help with summer cooling a lot.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
jnschult wrote:

Some things I've been wondering about are with direct access to septic, basically at a permanent home site is there any thoughts?
Joel
Central North Carolina Area

Yes, septic, be certain the cone of yuck does not build under the stool, you will not be moving around to break up the sewage, be sure you use plenty water to flush. and use a high pressure water hose down the stool to break up the sewage prior to draining.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.