cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacing stock radio system

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Recommendations for replacing the stereo/disc player/radio combination unit to a more simplified version of radio that includes a USB connection for laptop.

Old unit was powered with 110 ac. not dc. 4 sets of speaker wires already exist.

Current system is not connected/cabled to trailer antenna.

We prefer listening to talk radio throughout evening.

Any help would truly be appreciated.

DaveT
10 REPLIES 10

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Best Buy and have it installed by the Geek Squad. They have a good selection and will look great.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Crutchfield. Good products and helpful people
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you want to keep with the 120vac unit or do you want to go 12DC

I will ASSUME the latter.

YOu need to visit Crutchfield and fine the unit you want many options to choose from and I can not recommend any given make or model but that's the catalog.
NOTE: you may be able to shop locally after you "windows shop" Cruthcfeld

JR.Music is another catalog with many options

After that you need a box.. Wood is just fine

And you will need to add an automotive antenna

Thats about all there is to it. Connection is straight forward at least if you have done that kind of thing in the past (I HAVE)

Since you said "Talk radio" you night even shop for a general coverage Radio Receiver (they come in 12 volt desktop types) at places like DX Engineering but they tend to be mono only (not stereo) and don;'t do USB or CD

Mine does transmit though (Requires a license)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Some tv sound bar's have built-in FM radio and Wi-Fi. Home stereo you can have a built-in DVD home theater for not much money. Far exceeds the sound quality of stock radio.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
If it already has 110v there I would just put in a home stereo/radio

Not a bad idea at all! A radio should not take much juice from the battery system to convert it to 120. I like this!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
If it already has 110v there I would just put in a home stereo/radio

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the ideas and direction! Much appreciated.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you visit Crutchfields website where you plug in the vehicle and it lists the various radio alternatives that fit your car. I used it many years ago for my Audi - they supply the instructions, cables, adapters etc. Worth a look.
Kevin

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a 12V line close to it? A 12V light you can tap into?

If so I would just get a car radio from Walmart or wherever and put it in it's place. You might have to have a fascia made but no big deal.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm leaving my stock radio as installed but buying a Grundig long range portable for the times the TT radio won't work well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad