cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insure Class C Alone or with Auto Policy

xpjet96
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to pick up a new-to-us Class C. Been without one for 10 years and looking forward to having one again. Does anybody insure with their regular auto/home insurer or just get a stand-alone policy? My thoughts were to get a stand-alone so that any claims wouldn't go against my everyday policy and potentially raise my rates. Pros/cons? Thanks in advance!

Ken
2011 Winnebago Access
Ford E-450
2014 Honda CRV
10 REPLIES 10

xpjet96
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for the responses! Great thoughts. Finally got an answer back from my current home/auto insurer confirming that there are no "carry over" effects from RV to other policies should a claim arise. However, my quote from Progressive came in less expensive with more coverage, so I may opt to go that route. Had Progressive with last MH but never had any claims. Has anyone had any issues with them, either positive or negative? Thanks again!
2011 Winnebago Access
Ford E-450
2014 Honda CRV

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Always ask about coverages. How is the awning covered? Is it depreciated. Contents coverage, are they included our would you have to turn a claim into your home policy and have multiple deductibles? How about liability at your campsite? Many auto policies don't have the coverages that are specific to an RV and you can get stuck with multiple claims and multiple adjusters to deal with.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
STBRetired wrote:
Have motorhome insured on same policy as car and pickup, with same company that has house and umbrella policy. Got good rate, have an agent I really like, and no arguments about coverage as some things are covered by auto policy and others by homeowners.

Was rear ended by 89 year old gentleman who could not find his brake pedal. $10,000 in damage. Been assured that my rates will not go up since was no way my fault.

Umbrella policy. Was talking to my agent recently, she said in 31 years she has never seen one used. They fall into the category of "extended warranties" with me. With the maximum coverage required in order to have an umbrella policy you may want to investigate closer the deductibles and disclaimers that come with them. You could save some dough and buy yourself a nice flyfishing rod or something...

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I have GEICO for all cars and the MH.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We're happy using separate companies, big difference in rates- be sure to look at tier two and tier three firms, great quality with better rates.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Have motorhome insured on same policy as car and pickup, with same company that has house and umbrella policy. Got good rate, have an agent I really like, and no arguments about coverage as some things are covered by auto policy and others by homeowners.

Was rear ended by 89 year old gentleman who could not find his brake pedal. $10,000 in damage. Been assured that my rates will not go up since was no way my fault.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We also have the RV with the SUV. We get a better rate becuase of the multi-vehicle discounts. Had a claim on a blowout on the RV 4 years ago and it was handled perfectly. No questions or problems.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My policies are not together but I might do that in future.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
I started out with a stand alone policy with an RV savvy company. Was not impressed with the communication. After one year I transferred onto my home & auto company. Got better rates and better communication. I have more leverage and it's easier to keep track of. I don't expect to have a claim and if I did I wouldn't expect it to reflect on home or auto, just RV.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My insurance company,two different ones this past year, and they both wrote an individual policy on the coach. Came out to be the same price as my pick up.