cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Port-A- Potty

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I just bought a beautiful piece of property for camping, only around three acres but on the river. Former owners had put in a 30 amp hookup for their camper and since it is in a flood plain that is pretty much all you can do to the property. Only 14 miles from home with a place we can dump for cheap about halfway in between.
We can go quite a while on our fresh and waste tanks but sometimes when we have family get affairs which we will have I hate to fill our tanks. Considering a Port-A-Potty and a pop-up enclosure for these occasions. Looking at Amazon there is a bunch of each and am looking for people that have used a setup like this. Amazon has reviews but I like "real world" reviews.
I have been leaning toward the Camco premium with the 5 gallon tank but there so many with 4 stars I just don't know. Thanks for the help, Jim.
28 REPLIES 28

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
If your property is out of the way and out of site you could probably dig a Outhouse. That's not legal of course.

I'm 'out of the way and in the boonies'. I never leave my camper without a roll of TP. Carry one in the quad too. You never know...when you have to go......:B
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
afidel wrote:
bartlettj wrote:
If I was doing this on a regular basis I'd get a 5x8 enclosed utility trailer, attach the biggest black and fresh tanks I could find to it, and plumb it like an RV bathroom with a water pump, sink, RV toilet, and lights. Then, just tow it to an RV dump when it filled up. Could even add a shower if you put in a water heater and grey water drain.

It would have to be really, really often to go that route, ~$1,600 for a trailer and then the cost and time to modify it, figure $2,500-3,000 plus time. I can rent a unit from a company for $50 for the weekend.

The other half of the equation might be renting out the trailer for $75 or $100 per weekend (or whatever the market would bear) when one isn't using it. I suspect there would be a market for a porta-potty with interior lighting, hot and cold running water, a shower, etc.

You can actually purchase pre built ones (on wheels) with his and hers restrooms.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your property is out of the way and out of site you could probably dig a Outhouse. That's not legal of course.

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Our first RV was a class B with a Thetford porta potti. They are a quality unit. It worked great for about 10 years until the electric pump that filled the bowl died. The seal between the top unit with the bowl and the bottom reservoir was never a problem.
That being said, we only used it for urine. The tube used for dumping seemed to be about 1.5 inches and i could imagine it getting plugged. Also be aware that water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon so that a filled tank could be difficult.
Advanced RV Sprinter

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
bartlettj wrote:
If I was doing this on a regular basis I'd get a 5x8 enclosed utility trailer, attach the biggest black and fresh tanks I could find to it, and plumb it like an RV bathroom with a water pump, sink, RV toilet, and lights. Then, just tow it to an RV dump when it filled up. Could even add a shower if you put in a water heater and grey water drain.

It would have to be really, really often to go that route, ~$1,600 for a trailer and then the cost and time to modify it, figure $2,500-3,000 plus time. I can rent a unit from a company for $50 for the weekend.

The other half of the equation might be renting out the trailer for $75 or $100 per weekend (or whatever the market would bear) when one isn't using it. I suspect there would be a market for a porta-potty with interior lighting, hot and cold running water, a shower, etc.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
bartlettj wrote:

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just one or two of these?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have used a porta potty and it did fine. There are basic to deluxe, choose one to fit your budget and needs.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
One of these,

and as many Homer buckets, lids and trash bags as you need.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
04fxsts wrote:
...and would like to hear about what breaks easily or holds up well and is easy to use. Thanks, Jim.

This is the one we have. It has held up for years now. The one we had prior to this held up for years too. Eventually, the metal handle on the inside bucket rusted, so we tossed it. Actually, I'm still using the bucket as a trash can in my garage. That thing must be, at least, 25 years old now.

We replaced it about 4 years ago with the one pictured below. They are durable as anything, surviving freezing cold to blistering heat.

As I said above, we got our from Wall Mart, really in-expensive and served us very well, for a very long time.

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
04fxsts wrote:
Our solution has to be portable as in pick up and put in back of my truck taken home and emptied into the toilet.

You've already been provided an answer - FloJet Macerator pumping into inexpensive 7 gal Aquatainers already sitting in the back of your truck. There's no need to lift full 60 lb containers if the empty containers are already sitting in the back of the truck ... back home each can be quickly emptied into a home toilet with little effort at all. If we're camping and I find our black water tank nearing full I do exactly the same, except I dump the contents into the campground's dump station sewer inlet, 'though one time late in the season I found the dump station closed so I disposed of the contents in a bath house toilet - same process & effortless. :B

We do not have a macerator system and have always been fine with our standard gravity dump system so do not plan to add such. Maybe I should have worded the OP differently. If we do anything it will be one of the portable port-a-potty types and was wanting to hear from those that had bought one of these. There are at least a dozen different brands on Amazon that look similar and would like to hear about what breaks easily or holds up well and is easy to use. Thanks, Jim.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
04fxsts wrote:
Our solution has to be portable as in pick up and put in back of my truck taken home and emptied into the toilet.

You've already been provided an answer - FloJet Macerator pumping into inexpensive 7 gal Aquatainers already sitting in the back of your truck. There's no need to lift full 60 lb containers if the empty containers are already sitting in the back of the truck ... back home each can be quickly emptied into a home toilet with little effort at all. If we're camping and I find our black water tank nearing full I do exactly the same, except I dump the contents into the campground's dump station sewer inlet, 'though one time late in the season I found the dump station closed so I disposed of the contents in a bath house toilet - same process & effortless. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses, still not sure what we will do, maybe nothing and just use the MH. We will not be using one of the rental services or anything that has to be pumped out. Our solution has to be portable as in pick up and put in back of my truck taken home and emptied into the toilet. Nothing permanent or difficult to move because the area floods at least once a year. Jim.