cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Instrument Cluster Issue

2cAmerica
Explorer
Explorer
Our Instrument cluster(2008 Bounder Workhorse W22 Chassis) providing Speed; RPM; Temp; Fuel; etc. information does not function. The gauges (needles) and dials do not move. I checked the fuse panel - fuses appear ok. Any suggestions on recommendations to resolve?

Thank you, Regards, Dick
8 REPLIES 8

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Some what common failure item on the Workhorse chassis. There is a Workhorse sub-forum on irv2, may want to check it out.

Gauge Cluster

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
PS the AC Delco speedo repair centers set the mileage before they ship. That's why if the odometer is not readable you must send it in. They have other ways to get the mileage. They follow all federal laws about odometer readings. I handled thousands of these transactions at the GM and FCA dealer level. GM sold their medium duty division to Workhorse about 1996. Some GM dealers are also Workhorse dealers but not all. More than likely one gauge stopped working first and then more or all. See Youtube videos if only to help you understand the problem with these clusters, only the GM ID and number on the back will tell you for sure if it is one of the ones I reference. A high end scan tool will also pull the number for you. GM Tech 2, Snap On Solus for example.
Puma 30RKSS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Since all the gauge indicators don't work, I'd suggest to see if there is power to the cluster and if there is a continuous ground where needed. Fuel level, engine temp, and a few others are typically not passed through any computer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The dash is digi-log, (Digital but analog displays) run by the engine control computer.. Several possible issues but if you read your owner's manual there is as TEST procedure. (I'm not in the motor home so I don't have the manual handy) but you hold a button or two and turn on ignition. The gauges should cycle in a pattern (Mid scale, full scale, zero, mid full zero or something like that) alarms will sound lights will flash, Then you turn off and back on. Failure to do the pattern = Proglem.

Possible issues include bad ground, bad connection, bad computer, bad display.

ONE issue I had with SOME gauges ONCE.....

Since this is all computer controlled.. when you first turn the key it does a POST (power on self test) Well I got into START before POST finished and as a result selected gauges did not work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
On the off chance that you have a built-in rear camera? If so..that may be the culprit. On pretty much all vehicles now, if the camera goes, so do many of the mentioned controls.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful about "do-it-yourself" on this issue. I once had a car (Ford Taurus) that had the instrument cluster die. I had it replaced, but not by a dealership. The shop didn't do all they were supposed to do in terms of re-setting the odometer in the new one. When I went to trade that car in, I was told that it had virtually no value because the mileage couldn't be verified. Maybe I got hosed, but that's how it played out for me. So be careful. Don't do what I did.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Workhorse more than likely used GM clusters. First thing to try is to remove the cluster including the connector and then plug it back in without reinstalling the cluster. That fixes some of them. Next step is to watch youtube videos on the subject, and decide if you are handy enough to follow the instructions. Last resort is to take the cluster to a GM dealer and order a replacement. If you are unable to provide the odometer reading your cluster will have to be sent in for repair/replacement. If you can provide the odometer reading it is a next day exchange usually, you will have to surrender your old one as a core.
Once you have the "new" one it usually is a plug and play. The usually means everything should work except the steering wheel controls if you have them for the radio, etc. If those don't work the dealer will have to program the function.
Please note, the above applies only to GM clusters of that era. It is a very common issue.
Puma 30RKSS

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Is this the digital panel? I remember seeing posts here of other individuals having issues with the instrument panels on the W22 chassis. They either needed replaced or reprogramed by the dealer. Try doing a search on the website there should be some posts about it.